Ever seen a wrecked Rebel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rabbit929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque Hemi
Well I screwed up guys. Behold the story.

As I pulled into Walmart, people walking everywhere, I slowed down to less than 5mph ahead of time waiting for the crowds to clear.
As I creeped forward, looking ahead, seeing as the far side grocery section is always plump full, and they never paint the parking lot so everyone parks like cheap, I’ll just park in the middle section.
Avoid some door dings, be alone, etc. plus there was a nice 93’ ram Cummins there I wanted to look at.

So I check the pedestrians to my right, I check the barricades, handicap signs, and light pole to my left. All is well.
What I didmy know is while creeping slowly there’s a stop sign (for the parking lot editors, not for me) that’s 15 feet out in the middle of nowhere, in my blind spot behind the a-pillar.

I see the spot I want, I turn left, check the obstructions to my left, all good, check the walkers to my right, all goo-*CRUNCH!*

My hood is tall that it was before, and I now need windshield washer fluid, I just filled it.
Now, I’m that idiot who hit a led pipe, at 11mph, in-front of a mob of people who are all most likely thinking, “how the hell did you not see that?! Lol!”
I never thought I’d be that guy, or the amount of damage it would do if you missed both frame rails.
I am posting this now because I finally got the insurance quote back, on my dream truck mind you, I had this truck shipped from California to Idaho, where I picked it up and took it home to North Dakota.
I told all the dealerships, “Find me this truck, precisely, and we will talk.” Dave Smith Motors was the only one who tried.
Now here she sits. 12k miles, been hailed out once, and now a wrapped it around a pole. 30 years of driving ****-boxes and never been in a fender-bender.

Stay safe people. I would have rather died than see this happen to my truck, and I always pointed and laughed at the people who did it. Now I understand. And I feel terrible for treating the only thing that has been so good to me this way.
I will be making it up to her. I swear it.
3AFB8F8D-6E92-4240-8184-693D820DCC64.jpeg

04F79219-FF21-413C-96B0-204B93E87D8C.jpeg

E4D395D2-7A21-4404-8B68-96DEBF289654.jpeg

SixAddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back in another life when I was an owner/operator (tractor trailer) I use to see this happen at truck stops and always wondered how? Being up so high did you not see that pole?

The rigs didn’t fair much better than your Ram either.

Feel bad for you and hope you get things put back together soon

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
One of these may have protected you. I've had vehicles in parking lots back into my front, one of the reasons I have a guard.
Rancher - Front View-2 Crop.jpg

OP
OP
Rabbit929

Rabbit929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque Hemi
Back in another life when I was an owner/operator (tractor trailer) I use to see this happen at truck stops and always wondered how? Being up so high did you not see that pole?

The rigs didn’t fair much better than your Ram either.

Feel bad for you and hope you get things put back together soon
Yeah it’s painful to see. This has to be an act of god to humble me in some way, because I always thought “what terrible drivers, I’m better than that.” And now it happened to me. I never would have thought.
One of these may have protected you. I've had vehicles in parking lots back into my front, one of the reasons I have a guard.
View attachment 498729

I actually ordered a grill guard from expedition one, after heavy research.
In hopes that once I get my truck back a deer doesn’t put it back where it is.
I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
so sorry man. That's got to be the worst feeling.

at the end of the day, this is why we have insurance. And you didn't hit a human. I pray I never hit a human being or hurt anyone. Insurance can't fix everything.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dude, that sucks. Luckily, no one was harmed.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I can't believe that's all it took to do so much damage.

That why I park way out in the weeds next to a light pole.

Elvira

Reaction score

View attachment 498725
Do not despair, although it is a sad day for your Ram....it can be repaired and brought back to it's glorious self again. Find a really good dealership body shop and have it repaired. Did you get an estimate on damage, insurance claim too, curious on the amount of cost.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife did something similar in a Walmart parking lot. In her previous durango, she was turning left...looked right because she thought she saw someone she knew and smoked one of those light poles with the big concrete base to them. Wadded the drivers side front wheel clear underneath it...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OMG, at least no PPL's hurt, just pride. Can be fixed or replaced, just property, though may make wallet a lil lighter. My wife, way back, in front of a feed store, backed her F-150 into the only pole in the rural lot. Still not figured out how she did it. Not quite that much damage, boy was I hot for 20 seconds, then said frack it, all good. U ok, only a truck.

ADDED: Not gonna lie, the Pic is painful.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

As I pulled into Walmart, people walking everywhere, I slowed down to less than 5mph ahead of time waiting for the crowds to clear.
As I creeped forward, looking ahead, seeing as the far side grocery section is always plump full, and they never paint the parking lot so everyone parks like cheap, I’ll just park in the middle section.
Avoid some door dings, be alone, etc. plus there was a nice 93’ ram Cummins there I wanted to look at.

So I check the pedestrians to my right, I check the barricades, handicap signs, and light pole to my left. All is well.
What I didmy know is while creeping slowly there’s a stop sign (for the parking lot editors, not for me) that’s 15 feet out in the middle of nowhere, in my blind spot behind the a-pillar.

I see the spot I want, I turn left, check the obstructions to my left, all good, check the walkers to my right, all goo-*CRUNCH!*

My hood is tall that it was before, and I now need windshield washer fluid, I just filled it.
Now, I’m that idiot who hit a led pipe, at 11mph, in-front of a mob of people who are all most likely thinking, “how the hell did you not see that?! Lol!”
I never thought I’d be that guy, or the amount of damage it would do if you missed both frame rails.
I am posting this now because I finally got the insurance quote back, on my dream truck mind you, I had this truck shipped from California to Idaho, where I picked it up and took it home to North Dakota.
I told all the dealerships, “Find me this truck, precisely, and we will talk.” Dave Smith Motors was the only one who tried.
Now here she sits. 12k miles, been hailed out once, and now a wrapped it around a pole. 30 years of driving ****-boxes and never been in a fender-bender.

Stay safe people. I would have rather died than see this happen to my truck, and I always pointed and laughed at the people who did it. Now I understand. And I feel terrible for treating the only thing that has been so good to me this way.
I will be making it up to her. I swear it.
View attachment 498724

Stay safe people. I would have rather died than see this happen to my truck, and I always pointed and laughed at the people who did it. Now I understand.
You can get another truck or get this one fixed. Can't get another life :).Glad nobody got hurt. Get over it. It sucks, not much you can do about it now...
And, I agree with you on pointing out and laughing at other people. I have gotten too superstitious for that :)

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Wow! That looks like you hit it doing 45 or 50... not 10. Doesn't say much for the front ends of these now days.