Exhaust manifold bolts.. the struggle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What are a better option to the factory set up? The dealer informed me I have 4 more broken manifold bolts. I have had 15+ replaced already. They quoted 550+ on replacing. Just keeps being a problem and out of warranty

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
What are a better option to the factory set up? The dealer informed me I have 4 more broken manifold bolts. I have had 15+ replaced already. They quoted 550+ on replacing. Just keeps being a problem and out of warranty

I've been researching ARP and such for a quality bolt. I have discovered I'm missing one on each bank. I think there are some members with them I just haven't gone looking down that search menu. I like to just forget it most days because of how much of a PITA to fix.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
headers are an option. I fixed my own exhaust manifold issue though. Took the manifold off, sanded it down to level, then re-installed. If you get new manifolds, the problem can come back as it's the warping manifold that causes the bolts to break. Headers are immune to this problem though because of the material the aftermarket headers are made from

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've been looking at headers too. I've heard good things about the arp bolts

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Bolts are only part of the equation though. You have to fix what's causing the stress. Keep in mind shorties are cheaper, and not a lot of gain. Long tubes are better but only when paired with a tuner. Both the ling tubes and the tune are more expensive than the shorties. You could be close to $2k for long tubes and a tune, where the shorties are closer to $600

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
So what shorties are best .... I might end up doing this because I think I have a broken manifold bolt already ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I spent the last couple of hours looking into the JBA shorties, forums, reviews, videos and damn I can't believe how many people are going back to the OEM manifolds, TunedRams , boostedmotorsports and other youtubers who I have never heard of .. . mainly leaks do to bad welds ... SIGH ....

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I spent the last couple of hours looking into the JBA shorties, forums, reviews, videos and damn I can't believe how many people are going back to the OEM manifolds, TunedRams , boostedmotorsports and other youtubers who I have never heard of .. . mainly leaks do to bad welds ... SIGH ....
Kooks is an option but ****** expensive for shorties.
I sold my jba shorties shortly after I saw tunedrams video..

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why ? What was wrong or went bad with them if you dont mind saying.

Was planning on shorties next for my truck before I have broken bolts to deal with.
Welds break, flange dont seal to y pipe but I believe if you order new ones now they have fixed that issue... as the size changed slightly on the 16 and up trucks or mid 16

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Welds break, flange dont seal to y pipe but I believe if you order new ones now they have fixed that issue... as the size changed slightly on the 16 and up trucks or mid 16

I shouldn't say they break... but they have pin holes sometimes...just ****** welds

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I shouldn't say they break... but they have pin holes sometimes...just ****** welds

Yeah the pin holes are the main flaw and it doesn't seem to be fixed at all .... And he actually went back to the stock OEM manifolds and doesn't plan on going back to any headers at all ...

This really blows, so I guess I will see if I do have any broken bolts and if I do just replace them with the better ones ...

I know that like all aftermarket parts there will be issues, but to go from a broken bolt to leaks ?