Exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3RamDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New member, 1st post!

Recently bought a 13 ram(5.7) with the factory dual pipes. I'd like to make the exhaust louder.... And I mean very loud! I had an 08 Chevy with flow master dual exhaust installed by the previous owner that I loved the sound of, but I don't know what series it was. It was loud and had crazy cab drone.

My question is should I just get a new muffler and use the stock duals? would that give me more sound, or do I need to get new pipes as well? I'd like to use the stock pipes since they are already there, but would the new muffler be pointless without new pipes?

It seems like everyone on here likes the magneflow muffler for the 5.7, thoughts?
Also, I hate the tiny stock exhaust tips! Does anyone know of any good tips that are longer than the stock ones?

Thanks!

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just do a muffler delete and leave stock resonators. Mine is pretty much straight pipe if you want to hear it in my sig. As for tips moes offers some bolt on tips for $200 or you can get some 2.5 inch inlet 5 inch outlet tips you could get welded on.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just do a muffler delete and leave stock resonators. Mine is pretty much straight pipe if you want to hear it in my sig. As for tips moes offers some bolt on tips for $200 or you can get some 2.5 inch inlet 5 inch outlet tips you could get welded on.

+1... there is an exhaust thread on the top of the page with plenty of links to sound clips for you to listen too!! Good luck and welcome!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lots of ways to do this.

Remove stock mufflers and leave resos to reduce drone.

Replace stock mufflers with aftermarket and leave resos.

Replace stock mufflers with aftermarket and remove resos.

You still need something in the system to promote exhaust scavenging, whether it be a a reso or a muffler.

As far as what will sound best, whether it be a certain brand of muffler or configuration like described above, what's "best" depends on what sounds "best" to you and that's pretty subjective.

I prefer Magnaflow. My Ram buddy across the street likes Flowmaster on his HEMI powered 1500. My neighbor likes Borla on his 5.9L '98 1/2T gasser. It's all about personal preference.

bosshemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of ways to do this.

Remove stock mufflers and leave resos to reduce drone.

Replace stock mufflers with aftermarket and leave resos.

Replace stock mufflers with aftermarket and remove resos.

You still need something in the system to promote exhaust scavenging, whether it be a a reso or a muffler.

As far as what will sound best, whether it be a certain brand of muffler or configuration like described above, what's "best" depends on what sounds "best" to you and that's pretty subjective.

I prefer Magnaflow. My Ram buddy across the street likes Flowmaster on his HEMI powered 1500. My neighbor likes Borla on his 5.9L '98 1/2T gasser. It's all about personal preference.

MADDOG is right. All about personal preference. But from my experience, if you want "loud" I would go Flowmaster and if that's not enough then remove the resonators. I like a quality sounding rumble but not something that's annoying cruising on the highway, so I'd do Borla or Magnaflow. I see a lot of people removing mufflers, and I personally think it sounds as cheap as the owner driving the truck. It's just raspy and annoying and reminds me of old rust bucket trucks with straight pipes. A nice 2013 truck should sound as good as it looks. I also had a Jeep with a Hemi and I did the SRT8 exhaust with a Powerpack muffler. Sounded amazing. Before the center duals I just had the Powerpack and removed the resonator and it sounded great. So either way I'd do some sort of muffler replacement, not delete. Then drive it around and if u want it louder remove the resonators. As far as tips, I've seen lots of guys going to 5" and that's about perfect. Still fits the bumper cutouts nice and isn't overkill.

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will be getting a Spintech installed either today or tomorrow. Very aggressive sounding, and no Flowmaster drone.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Carven Exhaust

Their facebook page has alot of video sound clips!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a MRBP system with a Single chamber single in dual outlet flowmaster muffler. Sounds great. I'm still going to change it though... but it is still really loud. I get alot of compliments on its tone and it being the perfect level of loud vs being obnoxious. No drone either. Its almost silent when the eco mode kicks in or im off the throttle.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
If you really want louder get rid of everything. I just did a Gibson cat back on my truck and it is real nice, it's **** sounding and the harder you lean it the louder it gets, it doesn't drone at all at highway speeds.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you really want louder get rid of everything. I just did a Gibson cat back on my truck and it is real nice, it's **** sounding and the harder you lean it the louder it gets, it doesn't drone at all at highway speeds.

That's another good way to do it. The Borla systems sound great, IMHO.

OP
OP
3RamDude

3RamDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, Great responses! Never been a part of a forum before, certainly a lot of helpful information! Thanks everybody, I'll definitely be looking into all of those suggestions. I do want loud, but a good tone as well. None of that garage done straight pipe cat delete ****.

I ran into a set of 33x12.5 mud grapplers today, anybody have a set on their truck? Curious if those and a leveling kit will be a nice look?

OP
OP
3RamDude

3RamDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ran into a damn near brand new Flowmaster Super44 3in/2.5out for $40!! So needless to say, Im going to give that a shot with the factory pipes, will order the 5" tips if I decide not to switch mufflers.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
funwrecker