Exhaust Tone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my 2018 PW is no longer my DD and has retired to doing only truck things now. It is now the “farm truck” and putting an exhaust on it is a consideration. I lock out the overdrives when I tow/haul so the MDS won’t play a part in my consideration. I don’t want anything obnoxious but rather just a good ol V8 sound. It does sound better 55,000 miles later but wondering if I could improve on it.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Are you still stock exhaust? Not many "direct fit, bolt on" cat-back AM exhaust kits for the PW. I'm running Mangnaflow, I think Borla has a one, and several others or cobble one together from parts. A vendor or two on here specializes in exhaust. The Magnaflow is pretty tame until you stomp the accelerator. It comes with a muffler and resonator, I did keep the resonator.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The base gibson exhaust will bolt on. They say it won't but it will. I have it on mine. Almost silent on the highway. Sounds great around town and on startup.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
magna flow d fit resonator delete by angle grinder love that American rumble and it scares old women and small kids when you let it bark yeeyee lol

OP
OP
ALRedneck

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you still stock exhaust? Not many "direct fit, bolt on" cat-back AM exhaust kits for the PW. I'm running Mangnaflow, I think Borla has a one, and several others or cobble one together from parts. A vendor or two on here specializes in exhaust. The Magnaflow is pretty tame until you stomp the accelerator. It comes with a muffler and resonator, I did keep the resonator.
Yes, I’m completely stock. I wanted it quite as possible when it was my DD due to making Bluetooth calls.
I put a Magnaflow muffler and did a resonator delete on my 2014 6.4L HEMI truck. It sounded a lot better.

If you don't want any drone on the freeway around 1800 - 2100 RPM then leave the resonator on.

Good luck!

Video from inside the cab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6seqRKkZMc
Will keep the resonator on due to some of the towing will be several hours with the boat. I think the family would be put out with the drone. Thanks for the video. That sounds gooood!

OP
OP
ALRedneck

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The base gibson exhaust will bolt on. They say it won't but it will. I have it on mine. Almost silent on the highway. Sounds great around town and on startup.

That’s what I’m looking for. My 5.0 f-150 had that rumble until you got up to speed then it went quite. But it did sound as if the rumble was under the hood verse the tail pipe. Not sure how that was done.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Are those stainless now? I ran a Gibson years ago on a Suburban, but it was galvanized steel back then. Rusted out in a year or so and was done with Gibson..

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
magnaflow is stainless the reason I cut the resonator was because it hung down so low

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are those stainless now? I ran a Gibson years ago on a Suburban, but it was galvanized steel back then. Rusted out in a year or so and was done with Gibson..
They have both options.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I done A Flowmaster Flow FX single inlet dual outlet on mine and too my surprise 0 drone and highway speed in 6th barley even know it there but when you want to hear it it there on accelerating love it0405211655_HDR.jpg

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Do we have a 3” or 3 1/2” pipe?
I know he OE extension pipe is 3.5 in and assume the OE tail pipe is the same. FYI, the MagnaFlow kit's muffler has a 3.5 inlet and 4 in outlet and the tail pipe is 4 in.

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
I will post you a video of the sound of my exhaust on Thursday if you want?
I just installed a 19200 magnaflow cat back, it’s a 4 inch pipe with stainless tip. Have not seen or heard it yet but I have a feeling it’s exactly what your looking for.

ConsecVINs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having one with a Borla and one with a Magnaflow I prefer the Magnaflow. Sounds better to me. Id keep the resonator. It will howl at certain RPMs if you do not.

OP
OP
ALRedneck

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will post you a video of the sound of my exhaust on Thursday if you want?
I just installed a 19200 magnaflow cat back, it’s a 4 inch pipe with stainless tip. Have not seen or heard it yet but I have a feeling it’s exactly what your looking for.
Please post! I’m ordered one yesterday through a local shop. The magnaflow they quoted was only $475 so must not be as beefy as the one you have. They couldn’t figure out the tail pipe diameter over the internet and they have only worked on the 6.4 sports car engine that was dual exhaust.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are quite a few bolt on exhaust systems.......basically anything that fits a regular Ram 2500 6.4 truck will fit a Power Wagon. I'm not aware of any differences at all in the exhaust systems. Flowmaster, Magnaflow, AFE, MBRP, Gibson, Borla