Exterior Air Tank/ Train Horn Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
So my air powered, triggered from the steering wheel horn, train horns stopped working and I'm not sure why.

The air tank has air in it, and solenoid for the horns is clicking when I press the horn button but no air horns. I opened the air tank purge valve to make sure there was air and some water came out..not much, maybe an ounce.. presumably from condensation.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can check?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure where you are located, but maybe ice plugging up the air line to the train horns???

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Not sure where you are located, but maybe ice plugging up the air line to the train horns???
In Dallas, it's in the 60s outside. I'm guessing by your response and based on the above information that there may be some sort of blockage between the tank and the horns?

Second question, is it possible that water(from past ice/condensation since the prior few weeks it was in the 30/40s) got into the solenoid and damaged it?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Just checked hoses between solenoid and air tank... Completely open and unblocked

Novawill72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Disconnect the horn. And hit the button. Do you get air? If not start working back towards the tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Disconnect the horn. And hit the button. Do you get air? If not start working back towards the tank.

Do you mean for me to check if I get air coming out of the solenoid? That's the one place I haven't checked yet. I know I have air going INTO the solenoid, I just disconnected, checked and reconnected all cables from the air tank to the solenoid in.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Make sure your solenoid is facing the correct way. There should be an arrow on it showing the airflow.

My bad - just saw you fixed it.

Novawill72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Do you mean for me to check if I get air coming out of the solenoid? That's the one place I haven't checked yet. I know I have air going INTO the solenoid, I just disconnected, checked and reconnected all cables from the air tank to the solenoid in.

Yes, exactly.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
How are you triggering the solenoid from the steering wheel? I always had a switch on my gear shift (line lock Tee handle) on my manual trans trucks but now that I'm old and bought my first automatic truck I'm not sure about the horn. I installed onboard air and a train horn but don't want it to come on all the time. Its nice to have the stock horn for friendly honks and for Mr officer. ;>)
For now I wired it into the stock horn button with a 2 second delay so I get the stock horn for 2 seconds and then all hell breaks loose. ;>) It would be really cool to repurpose one of the other buttons on the steering wheel like the radio/sirius button but not sure if that is possible.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
How are you triggering the solenoid from the steering wheel? I always had a switch on my gear shift (line lock Tee handle) on my manual trans trucks but now that I'm old and bought my first automatic truck I'm not sure about the horn. I installed onboard air and a train horn but don't want it to come on all the time. Its nice to have the stock horn for friendly honks and for Mr officer. ;>)
For now I wired it into the stock horn button with a 2 second delay so I get the stock horn for 2 seconds and then all hell breaks loose. ;>) It would be really cool to repurpose one of the other buttons on the steering wheel like the radio/sirius button but not sure if that is possible.
I have the solenoid grounded and the other wire going to the factory horn wire under the driver side tire splash guard. I found it to be too much work when having a separate switch.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where and how do you have them mounted? Looking to do an install on a 2008 mega.

I also have an electronic air horn mounted in the rear bumper.