FCA & ****'s Dodge - no accountability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In July 2020 had passenger bank lifters replaced by ***** Dodge in Hillsboro, Or. I live in AZ and my service manager told me parts/labor had 2 year warranty. They also informed me I could have any ASE certified shop perform warranty work.

Now 2021 the passenger side lifters failed along w cam shaft and drivers lifters. I called the original dealership who once again confirmed I could go to any ASE certified shop. Dealers here were quoting 2 weeks to get to the truck, that was not doable as my truck is a work truck.

Now that the work has been completed FCA is denying my claim because they are stating the parts do not have ANY warranty, along w the truck being outside of manufacturer warranty. Along w the fact I did not go to a dealer which would have cost 2x as much to get the same parts replaced.

What are next steps for this?
The dealer who did your first repair inOR. Was not truthful with you, period. You should have received a warranted paper on that repair. And NO not just any ASE repair person/place could do the second one WAiTHOUT FCA pre-allroval..That is written down on the 2 year warranted papers, on the FCA w3bsite, and any honest dealer will tell yo7 that. you got took, plain and simple. I’m 74 and know better so age is no excuse!!!!

skytracker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In July 2020 had passenger bank lifters replaced by ***** Dodge in Hillsboro, Or. I live in AZ and my service manager told me parts/labor had 2 year warranty. They also informed me I could have any ASE certified shop perform warranty work.

Now 2021 the passenger side lifters failed along w cam shaft and drivers lifters. I called the original dealership who once again confirmed I could go to any ASE certified shop. Dealers here were quoting 2 weeks to get to the truck, that was not doable as my truck is a work truck.

Now that the work has been completed FCA is denying my claim because they are stating the parts do not have ANY warranty, along w the truck being outside of manufacturer warranty. Along w the fact I did not go to a dealer which would have cost 2x as much to get the same parts replaced.

I love the ram 1500, but I’ve had this happen to two trucks around 100k miles. Drive buy your local Chrysler dealer and you will always see a few police cars parked out back at the service department waiting on a top engine rebuild. Service manager told me this is a common problem with the 5.7 hemi. Chrysler needs to fix this problem.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Out of curiousity, I was looking at the Jasper re-manufactured website searching for a replacement for my '93 Nissan D21 with the KA24E engine. While on the site, I noticed the listings for other engines, and the 5.7 was on there, with different configurations for different applications. When I clicked on the 5.7 link, it actually gives a breakdown of the parts they put in the rebuilt engines. I found it to be very interesting; they put pistons in that have more area on the skirts to prevent scarring of the cylinder walls, and they put in lifters of their own design that are beefier around the bearing areas, several things that I thought were great ideas. They also do something for better lubrication so if I ever need to replace my engine, I can promise, I'll put in a Jasper engine. Oh, and one other thing, you can also get one with MDS delete.

Last edited:

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you haven't already, you might want to open a case with the FCA 800 number. The better case managers make exceptions all the time.
It's probably going to be a stretch to have non dealer weok covered.

On my replaced transmission, the gave me a free warranty extending way past the factory warranty.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5.7 and some 6.4 MOPAR engines suck!!
I would file a Lemon Law Suit.
The have TSB on these engines with lifter/camshaft problems.
I think this may be your only recourse.
My truck had 930 miles and the engine already has lifter noise.
Goodby MOPAR!!!
My 70 340 runs like a charm.
I had a 09 Jeep Cherokee with the 5.7.
This engine ran like a charm. Never a problem. Which lead me to my 2018 Ram Rebel 5.7 and lifter issues at 15k. Traded it in for the 21 5.7 Ram. More lifter issues!!

RamRider60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
These warranties have so many loopholes for the manufacturer to go through that they easily find ways to cut them short no matter what you signed or what your contract with them states. I'm battling an engine wiring issue with my 2013 Ram 1500 that is covered by my Lifetime Mopar Warranty that I thought I'd be good with for quite awhile. All the folks out there with a 2013 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi and either the 6 or 8 speed automatic transmission, will no longer be able to purchase a new OEM Engine Wiring Harness for their truck. You can possibly get one from a salvage yard but those are tough to find. My dealership looked for 3 months to try and find one and no luck. I had a Dodge Rep tell me that I was out of luck in getting a new harness and that any harness provided at that point would void my lifetime warranty going forward. As she told me, anything that is connected to the engine wiring harness, if it goes, will get evaluated as to whether the harness caused the issue. If so, they wouldn't cover the part even if its listed in the Mopar Lifetime Warranty. So first, they decided to discontinue a part (March 19th 2020) that must be available to keep my truck running and they could care less. If I have a problem down the road with one of the covered components, guess how you think it will go when I put in a warranty claim for that component? I called the Attorney General's office and they dropped me as soon as I hung up the phone. I filed a complaint with them but no call to discuss further...nothing. So this seems to be how these manufacturers get away with this type of issue until some class action suit is brought against them. I've decided to go with getting my engine wiring harness reconditioned by a company in Utah which is all they do. It cost me some loot but it's better than buying a new truck. For those of you with a 2013 Ram 1500, you will not be able to get a new engine wiring harness for your vehicle. For me, its gone on since May 24, 2021 and I'm still without a truck.

JC4041

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This ranks right up there with the manifold bolt issues, known problem for YEARS. Mine have broken again. I called and asked if they were still covered under the TSB.....

2 different service departments "sorry, you are outside your warranty"
me "so a known issue since 2009, that has affected many different years and models isn't covered?"
SD's "sorry, you are outside your warranty"

So I ordered headers.

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
Sorry to hear about your situation. As a recovering Dodge technician I can share with you that noone works on your Dodge except for Dodge. They will have the truck towed to the nearest dealership for repair. Even in the Dodge dealership, not every technician gets to work on your truck, the tech has to have and be certified by Dodge in powertrains. Dodge does not recognize ASE certifications, they like Ford, have their own training. The may support it but it is not required. I apologize that someone in the industry put you in this position.

There may be instances that Dodge will allow a repair if you are stranded nowhere near a dealership (with no chance) but you would have to call Dodge customer service (nationally) and make sure to get documentation.

Your parts warranty would be through Mopar, not Dodge.

Again, sorry to hear about your experience. On the bright side, everyone who reads your thread will now know. =]

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think most are missing his point (I was initially).

This is not a warranty repair on the truck, his truck is out of warranty.

He is talking about warranty on parts only. He purchased parts (lifters) from a dealer and the dealer told him as long as a SAE certified mechanic installed them the "Parts" would be warrantied for a x period. The parts failed prematurely and now he is trying to get the parts replaced and they won't.

Honestly I rarely see anyone warrantying parts other then normal wear a tear items you might purchase with a napa guarantee etc. Trying to get a set of lifters replaced might be a up hill battle.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
The 5.7 and some 6.4 MOPAR engines suck!!
I would file a Lemon Law Suit.
The have TSB on these engines with lifter/camshaft problems.
I think this may be your only recourse.
My truck had 930 miles and the engine already has lifter noise.
Goodby MOPAR!!!
My 70 340 runs like a charm.
I had a 09 Jeep Cherokee with the 5.7.
This engine ran like a charm. Never a problem. Which lead me to my 2018 Ram Rebel 5.7 and lifter issues at 15k. Traded it in for the 21 5.7 Ram. More lifter issues!!

OP is no longer under the umbrella of any Lemon Law protection.

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had to resubmit everything to reopen the case. They said that they couldn't see that the lifters were replaced a year ago. Call the dealer and had the invoice in 5 minutes

In the future I will not be using a dealer for repairs. Not worth the money

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
I am a paralegal, Southern California retired, two things you should do file a small claims lawsuit for three times the amount of potential damage, walk a picket sign in front of the dealership saying warranties are not honored here. DayGlow sign the. they go can be had at the dollar store for 99 cents and just make a stick with the sign saying warranties are not honored here walk in front of the dealership on the sidewalk for about 1 hour and they will come to you and beg you to stop and you tell them fix this in the next 2 hours and I will stop otherwise I will continue all day until I get it done

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_094732872~2.jpg
    IMG_20210920_094732872~2.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 4

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque

This is why people hate on Dodge/Ram. They have known of the cam/lifter problems for a decade yet let it ride. My advise would be to buy a F-150 or Silverado and never look back. The 2023 Tundra looks like a winner too. If my 2019 Laramie has this problem it's what I will do.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is why people hate on Dodge/Ram. They have known of the cam/lifter problems for a decade yet let it ride. My advise would be to buy a F-150 or Silverado and never look back. The 2023 Tundra looks like a winner too. If my 2019 Laramie has this problem it's what I will do.

You should see all the lifter issues GM is having with their AFM engines, especially the new ones. Got a buddy who works at a dealer, they see a ton of low mileage lifter failures.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That is funny... You might want try going to some of the forums for those Trucks.
They have same issues and/or worse

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
At this point I'm kinda married to the truck unfortunately so need it to last. Just getting frustrated by lack of communication.

So far I've been told my case manager doesn't do phone calls and only does email responses. There are "notes" about follow-ups but no email communication. I ask for a phone call and told that they will request a phone rep call. Never happens. It's honestly a joke. They closed my first case without sending a request for additional. Even another low tier rep said that it was closed and no follow up was done.

And they wonder why people don't want to deal with dealerships

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am a paralegal, Southern California retired, two things you should do file a small claims lawsuit for three times the amount of potential damage, walk a picket sign in front of the dealership saying warranties are not honored here. DayGlow sign the. they go can be had at the dollar store for 99 cents and just make a stick with the sign saying warranties are not honored here walk in front of the dealership on the sidewalk for about 1 hour and they will come to you and beg you to stop and you tell them fix this in the next 2 hours and I will stop otherwise I will continue all day until I get it done
If I wasn't in Arizona I would. The dealership is in Oregon

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I am aware of the GM lifter failure problem. I would not be surprised if GM and Ram use the same supplier. The Fords are having problems with the Turbo Charged 6's blowing up. Tundra may be the only truck that cares about reliability after 100k. I run full syn and change oil on schedule. If my Laramie holds up well I will reward Stellantis with another. If not they don't deserve patronage. We have a fleet which is mainly Silverado's and Sierra's. Two 2019 Rams. One a Bighorn 4wd and the other a Laramie 2wd. So far the Rams have had only minor problems. The push button start switch on the Laramie broke. One Silverado 4wd with 70k is in the shop now with bad injector. One Sierra has 262k on it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Funny, I’ve heard Ford turbo 6 are pretty reliable and long lived.