Feeling disappointed with Ram...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you ever feel like no matter how loud you scream…no one can hear you? Like the world around you is slowly closing in and you have no idea how to get out?

This is how I feel right now. This is how I feel every single time I drive my 2018 RAM 2500. This isn't how I should feel. This isn't how I should feel after purchasing a truck brand new off the lot with only 12 miles on it. This isn't how I should feel about something that I work my ass off to pay for.. Something that as a young adult I never dreamt adult me would be able to do.. Yet here I sit. My beautiful truck just outside the window…. I shouldn't have to hear my husband sigh every single time the truck beeps. Every time it beeps it flashes on the EVIC display Service Antilock Braking System and alternates to Service Electronic Brake System. I shouldn't have to worry about driving my truck in the rain. I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not I can tow my 5th wheel safely with my RAM 2500. I shouldn't have to cancel my summer plans because parts that can potentially fix it are available until at least June.

It wouldn't be such a problem if there was a fix for it…. If it didn't beep and alternate between those messages anywhere from 1-19 times in a 4 mile drive. If it didn't turn cruise control off every time it flashes the messages while going down the freeway. It wouldn't be such an issue if thousands of customers weren't dealing with the same problem. If thousands of customers were being helped and not ignored.

Here I sit.. Not knowing what to do. I can't order the parts that “might” fix the issues because there are no parts. I cannot trade it in because no dealer within 100 miles will give me a worthwhile trade value because of the issue. The dealers know how big of a pain it is. They know that there aren't any parts. That there is no real fix. Why would they take in a truck whose future is unknown?

I went with RAM because of their quality…the customer service….the long life you get from their vehicles. I went with RAM because I needed something trustworthy to keep my family safe and tow my 5th wheel on so many adventures. Now I have a RAM that just leads me to question their reliability and safety. Now I am wary of the RAM company as they dont stand behind their customers. It isn't a community I want to be a part of anymore. It's more like…RAM doesn't care,,,.RAM lets its customers down…RAM is putting us 2017/2018 RAM owners in their rearview mirrors as they speed away to the bank…

I am screaming as loud as I can. RAM DO BETTER. Do better by your customers. Do better fixing/recalling faulty equipment. DO BETTER for the little man whose prized possession is a RAM 2500. DO better for the families who work their asses off to purchase a truck just to have it fail them…..Do better….

A simple google search will show you thousands of posts from people struggling just like I am. Treading water with no safety vessel insigh.

Please help me fix this issue. I am begging at this point.
All car mfgs are having trouble with getting parts. I would go to a local mechanic and see if he he can diagnose and see if the aftermarket can supply whatever parts you need. No you shouldn’t have to, but this our world today.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The problem isn't as much the parts availability as it is that the system is defective and the owners are left on the hook for repairing a faulty safety system with faulty parts you can't get anyway.

It's extremely frustrating to deal with, especially with the price of these vehicles. It's 2023 now, you'd think we could get a reliable ABS pump.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The past 3 or 4 years has been brutal on any and everything be it human or machine. Parts are scarse for a lot of things and quality control has gone down the $hitter. It's 2023 and they still can't keep the back seats from floating when it rains. Get in touch with ramcare and see if they can help you further. Good luck

Spindrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was just going to post about my thread, but you beat me too it :cheers:. I'm still having zero issues with my truck, so hopefully it will stay that way long term. It's worth a try anyway...
That is fantastic.

Definately worth a try. Absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
That’s a very well written post. Kudos for a clearly stated case. Unfortunately here’s the reality: you and all the rest of us were in the rear view mirror the minute you signed the paperwork.

When I read “I went with RAM because of their quality…the customer service….the long life you get from their vehicles.” it rings false. I say this as a long time repeated buyer. I buy them for aspects of performance, comfort or features. I learned a long time ago the customer service sucks, and they cut corners on durability and reliability. But enough of that soapbox preaching about FCAS shortcomings.

The core of the issue in today’s world is repair can be unobtainable at any price. Let’s all take a moment to appreciate our industry and societal leaders for a job well done. (/sarcasm)

The cold hard reality is corporations don’t give a damn for the most part. If they push us into premature trading, it’s another win for them.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OP I feel your pain, but know that this isn't just a Ram problem. In my experience I have gone from despising Ram trucks (my 1997 was horrific) to it being the only truck I'll own despite a few shortcomings.

This might not help much, but maybe it will give you some relief knowing you aren't alone.

I once owned a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 Powerstroke. At 32k miles, the high pressure fuel pump ate itself and sent shrapnel through the entire fuel system. The whole fuel system (minus the tank) had to be replaced. It took 7 months to get it fixed. At 54k miles it popped the head gaskets. The dealership allowed me to have them delete the truck. They covered the labor under warranty and I provided the parts. Sadly, they didn't deck the heads and at 118k miles it popped the head gaskets again while towing and warped the block. I had to dump the truck. <-- This is when I switched to Ram, to get the Cummins.

In 2014 I bought my wife a Toyota Venza Limited. That car cost us $48k. At 10k miles the panoramic roof exploded and collapsed into the car while she was taking a roundabout to work. Toyota dealer replaced it with no issue. At 14k miles, the roof would make popping noises going over train tracks or off kilter driveways. Once it split the windshield up the middle. Toyota denied the claim but the dealer told me they knew there was no structure in the roof and that the chassis flexed too much. At ~26k miles the seat back welds broke and dumped my wife while she was traveling down the interstate. Toyota declined to send an engineer to look at it and denied repairing it (my wife is small). We dumped the car at 33k miles and took a $12k loss on it.

In June 2022, our 2019 Ford Expedition transmission start jumping out of gear. Ford determined that it needed a full rebuild. While it was on the rack they redesigned the internal components 3 times before we could even get put on the list for the replacement parts! We had to wait until December 17th to get the parts from the manufacturer. They rebuilt it and we went on our way. After going 88 miles, the trans puked all the fluid out and burnt up a second time. We sold it to the dealership and walked away from it. I wrote them a $14k check to pay it off.

Knock on wood, my 2012 Ram 2500 and my 2016 Ram 3500 were great trucks. Sure, 3rd brake light leaks, rear vents leaked, and I too had an issue with the ABS on the 2012 once (they found a wiring issue and repaired it) but by and large we've had less problems with these than any other vehicle I've owned. My current 2018 1500 has been good so far. Time will tell if this continues.

It's a roll of the dice nowadays. It's our fault too. We expect more and more "creature features" in these trucks, which lead to additional mechanical and electrical requirements. If everyone were still happy with cloth seats, manual windows, manual transmissions, less emissions laws, etc... we'd likely still have the old school work horses that would run a half million miles with very little repair.

Couple that with a lack of knowledgeable techs that want to work in shops and a lack of workers in the factories (who are all trying to play catch up and crank out supply as fast as possible now due to backorders) and we have the perfect storm. Factories are likely skipping QA check steps just to try and catch up to the demand. We as the consumer pay for it.

The thing that I've learned is just to be patient and persistent. I've given up on switching brands when I knee jerk over a problem. Better to live with the devil you know than the one you don't. I know where the potential problems may be with a vehicle and prepare myself with the knowledge of how to fix it myself if I have to. Just my .02. Hang in there!

Jerrykurl1978

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you ever feel like no matter how loud you scream…no one can hear you? Like the world around you is slowly closing in and you have no idea how to get out?

This is how I feel right now. This is how I feel every single time I drive my 2018 RAM 2500. This isn't how I should feel. This isn't how I should feel after purchasing a truck brand new off the lot with only 12 miles on it. This isn't how I should feel about something that I work my ass off to pay for.. Something that as a young adult I never dreamt adult me would be able to do.. Yet here I sit. My beautiful truck just outside the window…. I shouldn't have to hear my husband sigh every single time the truck beeps. Every time it beeps it flashes on the EVIC display Service Antilock Braking System and alternates to Service Electronic Brake System. I shouldn't have to worry about driving my truck in the rain. I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not I can tow my 5th wheel safely with my RAM 2500. I shouldn't have to cancel my summer plans because parts that can potentially fix it are available until at least June.

It wouldn't be such a problem if there was a fix for it…. If it didn't beep and alternate between those messages anywhere from 1-19 times in a 4 mile drive. If it didn't turn cruise control off every time it flashes the messages while going down the freeway. It wouldn't be such an issue if thousands of customers weren't dealing with the same problem. If thousands of customers were being helped and not ignored.

Here I sit.. Not knowing what to do. I can't order the parts that “might” fix the issues because there are no parts. I cannot trade it in because no dealer within 100 miles will give me a worthwhile trade value because of the issue. The dealers know how big of a pain it is. They know that there aren't any parts. That there is no real fix. Why would they take in a truck whose future is unknown?

I went with RAM because of their quality…the customer service….the long life you get from their vehicles. I went with RAM because I needed something trustworthy to keep my family safe and tow my 5th wheel on so many adventures. Now I have a RAM that just leads me to question their reliability and safety. Now I am wary of the RAM company as they dont stand behind their customers. It isn't a community I want to be a part of anymore. It's more like…RAM doesn't care,,,.RAM lets its customers down…RAM is putting us 2017/2018 RAM owners in their rearview mirrors as they speed away to the bank…

I am screaming as loud as I can. RAM DO BETTER. Do better by your customers. Do better fixing/recalling faulty equipment. DO BETTER for the little man whose prized possession is a RAM 2500. DO better for the families who work their asses off to purchase a truck just to have it fail them…..Do better….

A simple google search will show you thousands of posts from people struggling just like I am. Treading water with no safety vessel insigh.

Please help me fix this issue. I am begging at this point.
You have a bad wire to one to one of the rear speed sensors. You need to find a mechanic that knows how to load test wires and see if the code goes from stored to active when you put it on a hoist and lift it off the ground. Those trucks pretty much come with green corroded wires just as common as the shorted out locker wires. **** poor quality control.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
This is a well known well documented issue with 2018 HD ram trucks. The ABS HCU fails and there are no replacement HCUs available and ram will not cover the repair outside of 3/36 warranty.

File a complaint with the NHSTA. Ram will be forced to recall this soon. It's such a chicken **** problem.
Just got the same issue a month ago. En route to Farm in south-central Tennessee I stopped by RAM dealership in Abingdon, VA (thanks, Alex!), got OBD code C0020 ABS Pump motor control general electric failure.

I have a 100,000 mile warranty good for another 1,000 miles - dealer tells me this part won’t be available until at LEAST February 2024. Meanwhile, I can continue driving it with the intermittent BING! every three seconds with occasional pauses of between 10 to 45 minutes or at least until something else dies.

I’ve already had it with the front axle sensor, DEF pump failure, OEM battery fail at 10 months, failed ABS wheel sensor, TURBO waste gate sensor (for which I couldn’t drive for a week awaiting part), wiring harness corrosion and more.

Got appraised for trade-in today, going to sell the RAM and buy a Toyota Highlander with a towing package as I’ve gotten most everything I need towed to the farm already and can use my HMMWV for towing things heavier than 5,000 lbs if necessary.

Life’s too short to deal with “well known well documented issues with 2018 HD ram trucks.” Which is funny you wrote that as it’s almost verbatim what the dealership service rep told me not 3 hours ago.

done. Former disgruntled RAM owner here.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just got the same issue a month ago. En route to Farm in south-central Tennessee I stopped by RAM dealership in Abingdon, VA (thanks, Alex!), got OBD code C0020 ABS Pump motor control general electric failure.

I have a 100,000 mile warranty good for another 1,000 miles - dealer tells me this part won’t be available until at LEAST February 2024. Meanwhile, I can continue driving it with the intermittent BING! every three seconds with occasional pauses of between 10 to 45 minutes or at least until something else dies.

I’ve already had it with the front axle sensor, DEF pump failure, OEM battery fail at 10 months, failed ABS wheel sensor, wiring harness corrosion and more.

Got appraised for trade-in today, going to sell the RAM and buy a Toyota Highlander with a towing package as I’ve gotten most everything I need towed to the farm already and can use my HMMWV for towing things heavier than 5,000 lbs if necessary.

Life’s too short to deal with “well known well documented issues with 2018 HD ram trucks.” Which is funny you wrote that as it’s almost verbatim what the dealership service rep told me not 3 hours ago.

Good luck with that Highlander, fyi those Toyota engines are not as great as so many claim they are....

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op,

My father was a car dealer. Saw him take a number of cars & trucks in trade that had lights on the dash and other known repairs required. Did it affect trade in value, yes. Did it stop the deal, no. Trade it, take the hit, move on. Don't let it affect you or your life. It's a piece of equipment, they fail, they break, they work until they don't.

Easy fixes, people do, hard fixes, requires a knowledgeable technician time and the right parts. Which right now may not be available.

I'm sorry you are having these issues. I wish it was different and that it works out for you.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Around 1980 I had a Chevy 1/2 ton truck that came with a factory 3.07 rear end. It would barely tow anything. I burned up the clutch hauling a 2 horse trailer 100 miles. I went to Chevy and talked to them. They said "too bad." I have never owned another Chevy since.

Last edited:

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is it against the rules to post a link to another forum for a possible fix for this issue and a workaround for the supply issue? Having a 2018 2500, I try and stay in the know of common issues, even if I have not had them yet. I found a post where a few people fixed the problem.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Is it against the rules to post a link to another forum for a possible fix for this issue and a workaround for the supply issue? Having a 2018 2500, I try and stay in the know of common issues, even if I have not had them yet. I found a post where a few people fixed the problem.
Save it. The OP has not been back the initial posts. Either the truck is fixed with no follow up on the thread or off to another forum. Or worse given the mental state ....

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Save it. The OP has not been back the initial posts. Either the truck is fixed with no follow up on the thread or off to another forum. Or worse given the mental state ....
Yeah, I saw that. I was thinking for anyone else with the issue might have the info in the future. If anyone has the same abs issue, send me a message and I will give the information.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Heck you might as well post it... I've never had the issue but it doesn't mean I won't and I like preparing ahead of time.