Finally getting the 4.10s and LSD installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LSD with that heavy of a trailer would be very nice. Other mods that I would do/ look at are larger diff cover for better cooling, deeper trans pan for better cooling, and with that heavy of a trailer empty brakes. Doesn't mater how fast you get doing if you can't stop it you're going to be for a hellva ride.

OP
OP
BLUEBULLY

BLUEBULLY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shop adjusted shim on the pinion and so far all is good...nice and quiet. So the countdown begins on the break in period!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shop adjusted shim on the pinion and so far all is good...nice and quiet. So the countdown begins on the break in period!

Phewwwww, I was holding my breath while waiting to hear what happened! Good to hear man.

OP
OP
BLUEBULLY

BLUEBULLY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Phewwwww, I was holding my breath while waiting to hear what happened! Good to hear man.

Actually I was very pleased to hear that this guy actually has a buddy of his do the gears for him. His buddy is a mopar mechanic from the local Dodge dealer that helps him out after hours. Real stand up guy..didn't question anything and kept the truck for a couple of days testing it and making sure the job was done right. Just wish he would have initially done this. Just glad all seems correct now.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually I was very pleased to hear that this guy actually has a buddy of his do the gears for him. His buddy is a mopar mechanic from the local Dodge dealer that helps him out after hours. Real stand up guy..didn't question anything and kept the truck for a couple of days testing it and making sure the job was done right. Just wish he would have initially done this. Just glad all seems correct now.

I am not trying to worry you, but do they check (or need to check) if there was any damage to the gears and diff?

OP
OP
BLUEBULLY

BLUEBULLY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not trying to worry you, but do they check (or need to check) if there was any damage to the gears and diff?

He actualky called me and had me look at it when they had it open. Everything was perfect. No wear or damage whatsoever. The pinion needed a little shim added to prevent the whine I was hearing. Trust me I had that concern as well.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He actualky called me and had me look at it when they had it open. Everything was perfect. No wear or damage whatsoever. The pinion needed a little shim added to prevent the whine I was hearing. Trust me I had that concern as well.

Well, it sounds like everything finally worked out! Awesome! Damn, that was a long stressful road to 4.10s and lsd... worth it though. :)

I am going in for my post break-in service on Friday. I am 100 miles away from the 500 miles, so I gotta drive around for no reason until Friday! lol

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am getting a clunk from the differential when I shift from park into drive. Or when I shift from reverse into park and vice versa.

Also, sometimes on acceleration and deceleration, I get the same clunk from the differential. Almost like it is a little loose and then it clunks into place.

I had 4.10s and lsd installed a month ago, but did not notice the clunk until I had the 2/4 drop kit installed two weeks ago...

Anyone know anything about this???

Last edited:

MikeRam13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Bro it has been a nightmare! 4wheelparts bailed out on me again...After dropping the truck off they tell me that I only had the carrier bearings and needed the pinion bearings. I go through the trouble of ordering them from the dealer to get them to him next day then he calls me and says he will have to reschedule me again! What a joke this shop is...I will never advise anyone to go there and told them I won't be wasting my time with their shop ever again!!! Found a new shop Jeepers 4x4 going this Thursday for the install for the same price. Only question is whether I need shims. He says he will try to reuse the current ones. I have the new oem lsd new 4.10 gears carrier bearings pinion bearings lsd additive and 2 quarts of royal purple diff oil. I hope this is it for the moment. I'm so damn stressed with this upgrade it's ridiculous. Something this straight forward shouldnt be so complicated. Sorry about the long rant!

Dude I went thru the exact same thing at the Miami Gardens 4wheelparts they are a bunch of a-holes luckily I got my money back before they installed anything because they ordered the wrong locker 3 times for my tacoma

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks man. My local 4wheelparts won't even do any work on my truck anymore, they always have some excuse. They refused to do 4.10 lsd gear swap (using oem parts), and they refused to install my lowering kit (using Belltech which they sell). They said they can't do the install because they are not an authorized Spohn dealer...
I have spent a few thousand there already, but no more.

OP
OP
BLUEBULLY

BLUEBULLY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dude I went thru the exact same thing at the Miami Gardens 4wheelparts they are a bunch of a-holes luckily I got my money back before they installed anything because they ordered the wrong locker 3 times for my tacoma

That's the exact same one I'm talking about. Sorry to hear that.

MikeRam13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
That's the exact same one I'm talking about. Sorry to hear that.

It's all good bro when I get my ram I'll be talking to ya to get some ideas

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ Bluebully - Are you experiencing any kind of clunking in your rear end??

Like when you shift into Drive on a cold engine, or when you shift back and forth between drive and reverse??

Does your truck feek any different in the rear end from the 3.55s?? It seems like I have a little more play than I did with the old gears.

It's almost seems like something is a little loose...

How are you liking the new gears??

Last edited:

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
David, how many rpms are you turning at like 70 mph? 75 mph? 80 mph? I have the 3.55s and wanted 3.92s. Too expensive right now (4x4.....) so I just got a TC from Moes. Just want to compare. I found the calculators online but I don't know how accurate they really are vs our trucks.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
David, how many rpms are you turning at like 70 mph? 75 mph? 80 mph? I have the 3.55s and wanted 3.92s. Too expensive right now (4x4.....) so I just got a TC from Moes. Just want to compare. I found the calculators online but I don't know how accurate they really are vs our trucks.

Here's easy way to see exactly what a gear swap will do to your RPMs. This works for any given speed, just plug in your RPM for the speed you wanna know.

Current RPM ÷ current ratio × new ratio = new RPM

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Thanks!