Finally getting the 4.10s and LSD installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK gears and differential are in...does feel that it has more kick but since I can't really test it yet I can't give an honest opinion. Install seems to have gone well. No clunks or major whine that I can notice. So that has me very happy...glad this headache is over. So if anyone in Miami is interested the shop is called Jeepers 4x4 -Gus.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hell YES!!! Good to hear man!!!

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is awesome man!!!! Now do the break in and change the gear oil and stomp on it!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

OP
OP
BLUEBULLY

BLUEBULLY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stressed out this morning! Went out for a spin...taking it easy as can be with the new gears/diff... all feels fine but do notice a slight whine on deceleration. Should this be something to worry about or is this normal in the break in period?

Last edited:

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should be zero noise... could be from too thin of a diff fluid used though.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should use 75w140 on the rear, but what you have in it now is fine till you're done with break in and then swap it out.

OP
OP
BLUEBULLY

BLUEBULLY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Heading back to the shop Thursday to see if they can adjust the gears/diff ...whine is driving me mad. Hopefully a few days of driving won't do any damage. Fingers crossed that they get it right this time around

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heading back to the shop Thursday to see if they can adjust the gears/diff ...whine is driving me mad. Hopefully a few days of driving won't do any damage. Fingers crossed that they get it right this time around

Let us know how it goes...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hope they can get it worked out, but just be aware when a diff makes noise from miss alignment it won't ever come out of that noise pattern. Well I shouldn't say never some people do get lucky.

dabart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys,

I need some help. I've been reading threads like this for weeks and haven't been able to get an answer for what I'm searching for so I'm finally posting a question. I have a 2011 1500 5.7 4x2 with 3.55 open diff. I want to goto the 4.10 rear but the dealers are telling me I need to swap the carrier to the LSD carrier which is another $800. Can I not just do the 4.10 swap and use my existing open carrier? All the people I've seen goto 4.10s have either already been LSD or going to LSD. Thanks for the help in advance.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can I ask why you don't want lsd? BTW, the oem lsd is closer to $500, don't buy it from the dealer.

dabart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can I ask why you don't want lsd? BTW, the oem lsd is closer to $500, don't buy it from the dealer.

That's better than $800. It's comes down to money. I was looking to get all of the parts from dodgeparts. They have the ring and pinion for half the price of everyone else. I wanted to have the dealer do the install because they told me it would be covered under warranty as long as I was installing mopar equipment.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see... Whether it's available or not, I would not do a gear swap without lsd on a 2wd. You are gonna have better acceleration, but less traction.

dabart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know LSD is better, I guess it's better to do it all at the same time. I'm just trying to figure out all of my options.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know LSD is better, I guess it's better to do it all at the same time. I'm just trying to figure out all of my options.

Exactly. There is no difference in labor once the diffs open and the gears are out. The only cost is the part.
This way you won't have regrets later.
When I did my gear swap, my primary reason was the lsd, and while I was at it do the gears.
I have really good power, but couldn't get it to the ground. With the 3.55 gears and open diff, I would one wheel peel for half a block! :)

Are you going to be doing other mods???

dabart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure. I am using this truck to tow a travel trailer that weighs 8,350 dry. I have airlift in the rear to prevent sagging but anything to help the towing I would consider. Better Trans or oil cooler possibly? The factory one seems to handle it well so far.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure. I am using this truck to tow a travel trailer that weighs 8,350 dry. I have airlift in the rear to prevent sagging but anything to help the towing I would consider. Better Trans or oil cooler possibly? The factory one seems to handle it well so far.

Some performance mods would help out. Have you considered a good tuner, exhaust, and intake combo to go along with re gearing the truck?

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

dabart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What brand/parts would you recommend? I can do some searching as well. Bang for the buck is important.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tuner wise a Bullydog or Diablo w/hemifever tune. Intake wise is a Vararam or S&B. and exhaust is basically your personal preforance for sound.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket