Firestone Alignment specs suck?/Caster adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrismb5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2004 Ram 1500 2wd, stock suspension height, new shocks all the way around, 305/50r20 tires... Had this bad boy for years now and its always had a slight wandering problem but the steering has been pretty sloppy and spongey lately. Did the upper control arms, tie rod ends, and end links last week. Got the alignment back where it was to the best of my abilities. It all tightened up the steering wheel perfect for me, but the wandering was still there. Of course it was harder to tell before a proper alignment so I called around and decided on Firestone. Took it in, they did their thing and then I was told there was no front caster adjustment on my truck... Guy gave me a diagram of the alignment specs showing my left front caster is 3.5° and the right side is 4.6° and how it was out before and after. Then he tried his best to explain how there's no caster adjustment. It's a 12 month alignment so I took it and left, steering wheel is in line but the truck now wanders worse than it ever has. I've been having steering problems on this truck since I got it and I know bad caster will cause some serious wandering issues... Any advice? I'll attach a picture of the spec sheet he gave me... thanks for any help...

Attachments

• 20230306_020842.jpg
    20230306_020842.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 35

ramman95

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Limited Crew Cab 6'4" Bed
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4
I have 2004 1500 but mine is a 4X4. I recently rebuilt the whole entire front suspension and I was told that a Front Alignment Caster Camber Kit is usually required to get a proper alignment on these trucks. I purchased the kit off eBay and installed it before I took it for alignment. I also went to Firestone but I purchased the lifetime alignment and they no problems with the caster or camber. There are many kits available, some say they only fit 4X4 or 2WD models, but others say that they fit both. I do know that the 4X4 and 2WD both use the same front upper control arms. You can search eBay for "Front Alignment Caster Camber Kit" The ones that I purchased say 4X4 only but the seller also has a listing for 2WD (RWD) only but to me they look exactly the same. The ones that I bought were excellent quality and were only $40 for both sides, some kits only include one side. I will link to the 2WD (RWD) below.

2WD (RWD)

This kit fits 4X4 and 2WD

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Seek out an old-school alignment shop, preferably where the crusty old guy runs the whole show. Most places buy a whizz-bang, laser guided, computer driven, zillion dollar machine, and have guys who don't truly understand alignment running it. The old-school guy, even with ancient equipment, will win every time.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seek out an old-school alignment shop, preferably where the crusty old guy runs the whole show. Most places buy a whizz-bang, laser guided, computer driven, zillion dollar machine, and have guys who don't truly understand alignment running it. The old-school guy, even with ancient equipment, will win every time.
My alignment training was done by a Crusty, Curmudgeon who taught it to us GM dealer techs as an outside vendor because "official methods simply failed... this was back in the '70s.
His way of alignment was in the face of "convention", thus, many people whom I've explained this to have looked at me like I am a leh per.

Funny thing. In the 46 or so years in doing his alignments, I have cured all sorts of wear, pulling, wandering in trucks and cars.

I no longer perform alignments, and seldom have to, and sublet them out. Funny thing, the dealer who does my alignments uses one of those laser operated, turbo encapulated, ultra-zoot, warp generated, nearly 100 grand Hunter machines.... and the results are pretty impressive.

As I age in this industry, the curmudgeony crusty old farts are dying off and/ or retiring. ;)

zrock

Reaction score
Find a new shop.. I find it hard to believe their is now adjustment... I had a show tell me this on a old Ford with stock suspension. I told them that if it was aligned from the factory and im still stock then their should be adjustment left in it.. Went to another shop and they fixed it right away, other shop did not want to be bothered and try to adjust it..

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I rebuilt my whole front end. New everything. Got an appointment at Tire Kingdom. Two hours later, got my truck back. It was all over the place. I pulled over and the front was squatting, front tires askew. I took it back and they said they couldnt adjust camber. I told them it was a complete front end rebuild before I brought it in.I replaced the upper control arms. They didnt do sht. I waited another two and a half hours. They got it closer. And I had to torque the uppers to 100 lbs because they didnt. Ended up taking it somewhere else. No more Tire Kingdom for me.

Dyeelitt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just had an alignment done by Firestone, steering wheel is centered and truck tracks straight. Mine is a 2022 1500 Limited 4x4. Here is my alignment sheet b

Attachments

• CD7096C8-4AB1-42FF-889C-3BA9C4D86D0B.jpeg
    CD7096C8-4AB1-42FF-889C-3BA9C4D86D0B.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 18

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I have a 2016 2500 and was told they adjusted to max the camber caster on my truck at Firestone. Doesn't pull as much to right, but still there a little. Asked if anything needed replaced said No. Suggested I take it somewhere that could do a 2500. I'm OK for now, but really wish there was another place to get it 100% right in my area. Feel your frustration.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would go to a place where the Hot Rodders & Classic vehicle owners go.
Midas & Firestone, to me are like those quick change oil places

Hide a camera or two, on the undercarriage & watch their work

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2016 2500 and was told they adjusted to max the camber caster on my truck at Firestone. Doesn't pull as much to right, but still there a little. Asked if anything needed replaced said No. Suggested I take it somewhere that could do a 2500. I'm OK for now, but really wish there was another place to get it 100% right in my area. Feel your frustration.
i know in Olive Branch you have a lot of big trucks there so most places that do big trucks or cube vans or 5 tone straight truck should be able to do 2500 and 3500 trucks like yours

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go to a place where the Hot Rodders & Classic vehicle owners go.
Midas & Firestone, to me are like those quick change oil places

Hide a camera or two, on the undercarriage & watch their work
I know what you mean! I did 4500 dollars of work on a Suburban for a customer of mine some years ago. One thing was a reman factory transmission from GM. One part of the work was new ball joints and control arm bushings. He had one of those "lifetime" alignment packages at F-stone. They hit him up with a "list" of needed repairs. I had just completed everyone of what they were trying to upsell, including servicing a BRAND NEW transmission.... brightly painted silver from the factory!
He and I extrapolated that they likely never even looked, but went by an age-mileage chart.