Flowmaster American Thunder Muffler - (817568) drone while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered a Flowmaster American Thunder Series direct fit muffler for my 2018 Sport Crew. I listened to many sound clips prior to ordering and it sounded great.

I just realized I overlooked one thing and that is towing. My wife is sensitive to droning so now I'm second guessing my decision to upgrade the exhaust. Spending a day in a droning truck while towing would get old real quick. I may have an exhaust for sale shortly lol.

Anyone towing with the Flowmaster American Thunder muffler set up - part number 817568?

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/exhaust_systems/flowmaster/american_thunder/parts/817568

How is the interior sound level while towing?

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

ecbartosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have it and love it. I notice no drone when towing my boat. Really can't hear it with windows up. I sometimes with I had gone with the outlaw. But nice rumble.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Scott S

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have it and love it. I notice no drone when towing my boat. Really can't hear it with windows up. I sometimes with I had gone with the outlaw. But nice rumble./QUOTE]

I'm going to go for it. Worse case I'll have to swap it back.

Now I just have to wait until it gets here Friday. Maybe I'll put in my airlift while I'm under there.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Flowmaster 50HD muffler for awhile. I had no drone when towing my enclosed utility tailer. Sounded good.

Jeff Payne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Flowmaster 50 is my all time favorite muffler. It has a deep rumble and zero drone.

I will be adding one to my '15 but I will be buying just the muffler and welding it up myself. I still can't believe the price Flowmaster charges for these kits.

David Richey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a resonator in front of the muffler, cuts the drone by more than half and still keep a nice sound out the back. I had to do it on my Magnaflow.

OP
OP
Scott S

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Flowmaster 50 is my all time favorite muffler. It has a deep rumble and zero drone.

I will be adding one to my '15 but I will be buying just the muffler and welding it up myself. I still can't believe the price Flowmaster charges for these kits.

Good to hear!

It does seem pretty pricey for a muffler and 2 pipe stubs. I paid less for my Ceramic Coated Stainless Sled exhaust and the build was gorgeous. Flowmaster is more cobbled looking. Good thing you will not be able to see it under there.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I’ve been nervous to put a muffler on my 6.4, it would be awful to listen to drone while pulling the camper.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have ARH Long Tubes to a Corsa system. Absolutely ZERO drone at highway speeds. I towed a Haul trailer 800 miles this summer. No drone.

dbking321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put this on about a week ago. It defiantly has drone but its not as bad as other exhausts I have had. Its most noticeable between 1500-2000 RPM, Towing or not.

nick heilman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I haul a 7x27 sled trailer with mine and the same muffler. No drone really, only time you get a little bit is around 16-1800 rpm's but its barley noticeable