FNG shopping for 14-18, make sure I've covered it all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
What's up guys, FNG checking in here. I've been lurking and researching for a few months now, looking to buy a used 4th gen in the next month or two. I come from the GM world, I've had several NBS 99-07 Z71 pickups or SUVs for DD's. Got tired of 12mpg, so I've been driving a '14 Fusion for a while but it's starting to get long in the tooth and I'm in a good financial spot so I'm ready to upgrade. My buddy is trying to talk me into another NBS but I want a nicer truck with more power/features/gears/etc and nothing in the Ford or GM camp interests me. I've read a ton of threads but want to make sure I'm not forgetting something before I pull the trigger.

Here's what I'm after:
- '14-up Sport
- Hemi/8-speed
- Crewcab
- 4x4
- R/T hood
- Highly prefer the 6.5' bed but for the right deal I could live with the 5.5
- Could take or leave the RamBoxes on a longer bed but can't do them on the shorty, too small of a box lol
- Proximity entry/remote start
- Alpine sound system
- Highly prefer the mesh seat insert to the full leather
- Flame red, White, Blue Streak Pearl, Hydro Blue or Ceramic Blue
- Trying to stay under 100k miles cuz I plan to keep this around for a good long time

I know about the Hemi tick, LS engines have the same issues. Either a broken manifold bolt or a sticky/failing lifter. From what I've read, '16-up got better lifters? I'll probably get some shorty headers and be done with it. My dad's '14 is going to need them soon. I'm a pretty good wrench so I'm not worried about that. Are there any other failure points to be aware of?

It also looks like '16-up had the better console insert (not really a big deal, I could always swap it if I bought a 14/15). How does the mesh insert wear vs full leather? I really hate leather but with the butt fans, I could deal haha. Also would love to add CarPlay and I believe I read that an '18-up headunit is mostly a direct swap?

Gearing wise, I'd prefer 3.92 cuz it'll get 33 or 35 ATs at some point (though not till we move closer to work. I have a ~70 mile round trip commute now so I'd like it to stay 17-18mpg or so) and I tow an occasional car trailer or loaded down landscaping trailer. Though I've read the 3.21 is still plenty fine so I guess that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

What about rust? Are they like anything else, rockers/cab corners/box sides? I'm noticing it's very hard to find a CC 6.5' Sport, I've only found maybe 20-25 nationwide and 99% of them seem to have gone to Canada originally and then migrated to the NE or midwest. I'm in Ga and I travel alot for work, so unless there's one in a town I'm going to, it's going to be hard for me to drive out to look prior to buying. Hopefully I'll find a dealer/sales person willing to throw it on a rack and do a video call or something. I've found one blue one that went from Cali to Denver and now Missouri that's top of my list right now, though it's a little higher mileage at 120k.

Talking about mileage, would you guys say it's worth 5-7 extra grand to stay under 100k? My dad paid ~24k for his Laramie with 142k on it, I feel like as much as I drive, I'd be smart to pay more to stay around 75-90k miles. Or are these Hemi's pretty much like an LS, as long as they don't have lifter problems they'll go to the moon and back?

Just looking for some thoughts from the veteran Ram guys. I'm excited to get into a newer truck. Thanks guys!

Also threw in a picture of my project, it's a fun little LS swapped squarebody :anitoof:
8in rear drop 2.jpg

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome from Ontario, Canada

Nice squarebody!

If you have the cash, new and lower mileage is always best. The newer ones also tend to have less tick issues vs. older ones.

As for mods, you can add those over time. Focus on a great newer and lower mileage truck to build on from the start is my opinion.

Rust; all trucks have similar weak points, so check the vehicle thoroughly, and get it rust sprayed as a predictive and preventative maintenance measure on an annual basis.

3.21 is a fine gear and with a strong HEMI will be plenty, unless you tow or really must have off the line acceleration.

Good luck on your quest!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You seem to have a thoughtful and methodical approach, that's great! If you can find one out of Tx/OK or FL ... rust won't be an issue for you. I agree with others on finding a lower-mileage tk would be best for the miles you seem to put on. Everything else on your list seems to make good sense and you have flexibility where you probably need it. Avoid air suspension (for your needs) if you can. But if you found one you can convert over. If you are a steady DIY guy, 2017 and older don't require a secure gateway to do OBS programming adjustments. Doesn't sound like that's an issue but something to be aware of.

Now you just need to *find* that elusive pickup truck! I wish I could help you there buddy...

Nice Square Body..

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow you've hit all of the bases, you being in GA you should find something in good shape body wise so you don't have to worry about the Salt ridden rides we get from northeast, avoid the air ride suspension, biggest concern is the Hemi tick yes the 4th gen aren't as bad, don't get anything with a check engine light or possible misfires from cam/ lifter damage, again something with low miles and you can get on a lubrication strategy for lifter problems.

Sweet squarebody.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems like you nailed all of the boxes. I think I would have gone differently than my Rebel if I would have done it again. I'm dredding the day when the air suspension fails and I need to drop two grand to change over to standard springs/shocks.

Logjammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You won't "need" to drop $2K on a conversion kit. Piecemeal out the parts you want...the kits are an easy option but I just did mine for $830 out the door and couldn't be happier. Everything was from Rockauto...Rancho quicklifts in front (levels the truck), variable rate springs in the rear with +35% capacity, rear Gabriel monotube shocks and a few other minor parts. But...at the first sign of air suspension trouble, thats when you want to take the plunge. I wasted $2K on a new compressor in Octorer that literally got me 4-5 weeks before the crap started again and they wanted another $3800 to replace 2 rear bags and a manifold. Really pissed at myself for not pulling the trigger at the first issue. I'm sure with a Rebel, you'll want Bilsteins, Fox or something more "off-road" but I still know you can save a buck or two over the kits. That said...anyone wanna buy a near new compressor?

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Welcome from Ontario, Canada

Nice squarebody!

If you have the cash, new and lower mileage is always best. The newer ones also tend to have less tick issues vs. older ones.

As for mods, you can add those over time. Focus on a great newer and lower mileage truck to build on from the start is my opinion.

Rust; all trucks have similar weak points, so check the vehicle thoroughly, and get it rust sprayed as a predictive and preventative maintenance measure on an annual basis.

3.21 is a fine gear and with a strong HEMI will be plenty, unless you tow or really must have off the line acceleration.

Good luck on your quest!
Thanks for the input! I figure these things are still new enough that as long as it’s been somewhat cared for, I’ll find minimal corrosions and I can wire wheel/treat/paint it before it becomes an issue. I do tow but it’s not super often so a 3.21 would be fine, I’d just keep it in 6th or 7th when need be

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
You seem to have a thoughtful and methodical approach, that's great! If you can find one out of Tx/OK or FL ... rust won't be an issue for you. I agree with others on finding a lower-mileage tk would be best for the miles you seem to put on. Everything else on your list seems to make good sense and you have flexibility where you probably need it. Avoid air suspension (for your needs) if you can. But if you found one you can convert over. If you are a steady DIY guy, 2017 and older don't require a secure gateway to do OBS programming adjustments. Doesn't sound like that's an issue but something to be aware of.

Now you just need to *find* that elusive pickup truck! I wish I could help you there buddy...

Nice Square Body..
Haha I’ve been been a car guy my whole life, so I pretty well have the basics down. But this being a new platform, I’m still learning.

I’ve known to avoid the air suspension for a few years now thanks to doing research for my dad to buy a Ram. For the right deal, I’d buy one with it and just plan to convert at some point. I’ll be doing a level kit and 33s or 35s when I don’t have such a long commute, so that wouldn’t be a huge deal.

That’s really good info on the 2017-older for programming. I am a pretty steady tinkerer so that would certainly come in handy.

The search is aggravating but half the fun!

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Wow you've hit all of the bases, you being in GA you should find something in good shape body wise so you don't have to worry about the Salt ridden rides we get from northeast, avoid the air ride suspension, biggest concern is the Hemi tick yes the 4th gen aren't as bad, don't get anything with a check engine light or possible misfires from cam/ lifter damage, again something with low miles and you can get on a lubrication strategy for lifter problems.

Sweet squarebody.
Thanks! It’s a pretty fun little truck, ~425hp LS/4L65/3.90 gets around pretty good. I’m having a hard time finding anything in the southeast with the options/colors I want so Im shopping nationwide, so rust is my primary concern.

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
You won't "need" to drop $2K on a conversion kit. Piecemeal out the parts you want...the kits are an easy option but I just did mine for $830 out the door and couldn't be happier. Everything was from Rockauto...Rancho quicklifts in front (levels the truck), variable rate springs in the rear with +35% capacity, rear Gabriel monotube shocks and a few other minor parts. But...at the first sign of air suspension trouble, thats when you want to take the plunge. I wasted $2K on a new compressor in Octorer that literally got me 4-5 weeks before the crap started again and they wanted another $3800 to replace 2 rear bags and a manifold. Really pissed at myself for not pulling the trigger at the first issue. I'm sure with a Rebel, you'll want Bilsteins, Fox or something more "off-road" but I still know you can save a buck or two over the kits. That said...anyone wanna buy a near new compressor?
For sure, if I end up with an air suspension truck I’ll go ahead and start budgeting immediately. I can do all the wrenching myself so it’s just the cost of the parts for me

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s really good info on the 2017-older for programming. I am a pretty steady tinkerer so that would certainly come in handy.
2018 and newer have CarPlay/Android Auto but would need the security bypass harness to use a programmer. Harness is sub $100. Older truck needing a 2018 or newer head unit so you could have CarPlay is upward of $1000.

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
2018 and newer have CarPlay/Android Auto but would need the security bypass harness to use a programmer. Harness is sub $100. Older truck needing a 2018 or newer head unit so you could have CarPlay is upward of $1000.
Hmmm, good to know. Thanks!

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's up guys, FNG checking in here. I've been lurking and researching for a few months now, looking to buy a used 4th gen in the next month or two. I come from the GM world, I've had several NBS 99-07 Z71 pickups or SUVs for DD's. Got tired of 12mpg, so I've been driving a '14 Fusion for a while but it's starting to get long in the tooth and I'm in a good financial spot so I'm ready to upgrade. My buddy is trying to talk me into another NBS but I want a nicer truck with more power/features/gears/etc and nothing in the Ford or GM camp interests me. I've read a ton of threads but want to make sure I'm not forgetting something before I pull the trigger.

Here's what I'm after:
- '14-up Sport
- Hemi/8-speed
- Crewcab
- 4x4
- R/T hood
- Could take or leave the RamBoxes on a longer bed but can't do them on the shorty, too small of a box lol
- Alpine sound system
- Trying to stay under 100k miles cuz I plan to keep this around for a good long time

I know about the Hemi tick, LS engines have the same issues. Either a broken manifold bolt or a sticky/failing lifter. From what I've read, '16-up got better lifters? I'll probably get some shorty headers and be done with it. My dad's '14 is going to need them soon. I'm a pretty good wrench so I'm not worried about that. Are there any other failure points to be aware of?

It also looks like '16-up had the better console insert (not really a big deal, I could always swap it if I bought a 14/15). How does the mesh insert wear vs full leather? I really hate leather but with the butt fans, I could deal haha. Also would love to add CarPlay and I believe I read that an '18-up headunit is mostly a direct swap?

Gearing wise, I'd prefer 3.92 cuz it'll get 33 or 35 ATs at some point (though not till we move closer to work. I have a ~70 mile round trip commute now so I'd like it to stay 17-18mpg or so) and I tow an occasional car trailer or loaded down landscaping trailer. Though I've read the 3.21 is still plenty fine so I guess that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

What about rust? Are they like anything else, rockers/cab corners/box sides? I'm noticing it's very hard to find a CC 6.5' Sport, I've only found maybe 20-25 nationwide and 99% of them seem to have gone to Canada originally and then migrated to the NE or midwest. I'm in Ga and I travel alot for work, so unless there's one in a town I'm going to, it's going to be hard for me to drive out to look prior to buying. Hopefully I'll find a dealer/sales person willing to throw it on a rack and do a video call or something. I've found one blue one that went from Cali to Denver and now Missouri that's top of my list right now, though it's a little higher mileage at 120k.

Talking about mileage, would you guys say it's worth 5-7 extra grand to stay under 100k? My dad paid ~24k for his Laramie with 142k on it, I feel like as much as I drive, I'd be smart to pay more to stay around 75-90k miles. Or are these Hemi's pretty much like an LS, as long as they don't have lifter problems they'll go to the moon and back?

Just looking for some thoughts from the veteran Ram guys. I'm excited to get into a newer truck. Thanks guys!

Also threw in a picture of my project, it's a fun little LS swapped squarebody :anitoof:
With the options you're looking for being so highly specific you might be better off ordering a new classic.... cough...warlock... cough

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Here's what I'm after:
- '14-up Sport
- Hemi/8-speed
- Crewcab
- 4x4
- R/T hood
- Alpine sound system

View attachment 514442
Like that project, very cool looking!

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly, I'd stay clear of the 18 models with the car play/android auto, unless they can prove the radio has been replaced with the updated version with a screen that doesn't delaminate.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
18 year sports have the cool rare grill. Not sure if that matters at all but that's what I'd go for if I was gunna get another 4th gen

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
With the options you're looking for being so highly specific you might be better off ordering a new classic.... cough...warlock... cough
Haha I might if I liked the way they looked. Plus that’s a little out of the budget, hoping to stay 30k-ish or below. Might come up a touch for the right truck though
Like that project, very cool looking!
Thanks!

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Honestly, I'd stay clear of the 18 models with the car play/android auto, unless they can prove the radio has been replaced with the updated version with a screen that doesn't delaminate.
Yeah I’ve definitely read about that. Replacing a headunit isn’t the end of the world but they’re certainly not cheap

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
18 year sports have the cool rare grill. Not sure if that matters at all but that's what I'd go for if I was gunna get another 4th gen
I’ve noticed that too. Can’t say I’m a fan, I’d backdate the grill if I got an 18 honestly