FNG shopping for 14-18, make sure I've covered it all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Why? As long as it has all of the maintenance records and receipts, what would it matter? If a family member or friend is wanting to get rid of one they may or may not disclose everything to you in hopes that they can get it sold. Not all will do that, but some will. It's a gamble. You can buy a low mileage lease/rental vehicle that's still in warranty that has a ton of problems. Done that once... (thanks Enterprise!)

My 2016 3500 had 95k miles when I bought it in 2018. I paid $43k for the truck. But.... it was one owner, local trade, and had every service record and receipt for anything ever done to it. The truck always performed flawlessly for me and most of the miles on that truck were towing miles.

Same with my current 2018 1500. I bought it with 65k miles on the clock for a little shy of $28k. One owner, local trade, every maintenance record and receipt in the center console (and in carfax as well... always serviced at the dealer). The truck looks and performs like a new one. I've got no qualms with it.

Paperwork is the key. I trust documentation much more than word of mouth. Condition tells a lot too. If you pay attention it's easy to spot when someone slaps lipstick on a pig versus a truck that has always been maintained.
Agreed. I've bought and sold so many vehicles over the years, I can pretty well tell a good one from a bad one. I've never had anything with a warranty so I'm not worried about that (which is also a big reason I'm going Hemi over EcoDiesel, simpler/easier to work on). I made the thread just because I'm less familiar with Rams than I am older GM trucks, but the generics apply across the board

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
IF you get one, check to see if it was originally sold in Canada.
Reason being is that most that are originally sold in Canada will not have a warranty in the US and not be eligible for even the Mopar extended protection plan.

This is if you find one with low mileage that you want, if the mileage is over the warranty period, don't worry about it :)
Ahhh, did not know that, something else to keep in mind! I doubt I'll end up with one that's still in warranty but definitely good to know.

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I did find an '18 CCLB with Ramboxes in bright red that I fell in love with, low mileage, was just at the top of my budget with all the options I want...but it turned out to be an EcoDiesel. I love the idea but I'm pretty dead set on a Hemi, considering fuel cost/known issues/EPA crap getting worse in the future

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If a guy were planning very long term, you'd probably want a diesel. But in the medium term yeah, the Hemi. Eventually diesel will be around longer than gasoline I suspect. Easier to refine, can be stored longer. More heavy equipment uses it which can't be converted to electric.:D

Ultimately Diesel Rams in good condition will probably be worth good coin since they are no long made. Easier to recoup the investment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
If a guy were planning very long term, you'd probably want a diesel. But in the medium term yeah, the Hemi. Eventually diesel will be around longer than gasoline I suspect. Easier to refine, can be stored longer. More heavy equipment uses it which can't be converted to electric.:D

Ultimately Diesel Rams in good condition will probably be worth good coin since they are no long made. Easier to recoup the investment.
Completely agree with everything you said, I’ve actually had that exact discussion with my dad and a couple coworkers. However, the EcoDiesel kind of scares me with it’s known issues. If I went that route, I’d find me an older Cummins with a stick that’s been deleted and tuned already

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hear ya (on the older Cummins). Around here Diesel is 90 cents more per gallon. That's no small amount. I have a diesel Jetta, so I notice it. But at least it gets 40+ between every DD fill-up.

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I hear ya (on the older Cummins). Around here Diesel is 90 cents more per gallon. That's no small amount. I have a diesel Jetta, so I notice it. But at least it gets 40+ between every DD fill-up.
If the EcoDiesel had a jam up reputation like a Cummins, I'd be shopping for one of those. As much as I drive, the MPG increase would certainly offset the fuel cost. But the possible (probable) repairs, downtime and the fact that I may not necessarily be able to do all the repairs myself quickly negate the MPG increase. I can do 99.9% of any repairs myself on a Hemi truck and the .1%, I have a close buddy that can do those. But nobody I know messes with EcoDiesels

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Diesel's are actually pretty easy once you dig into them and learn about them. Turbo's are pretty straight forward. No ignition to mess with.

Yeah, get the Hemi. There's a ton of info on Hemi issues, fixes & mods. That alone will help the DIY guy like you, the most.

OP
OP
TotallyHucked

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Think I found one, going to look at it tomorrow evening. It's ~4.5hrs away in NC. Bright white '17 with 71k miles, CC 6.5' bed, 3.92s, big tank, leather, adjustable pedals, Alpine, R/T hood, no sunroof, spray in liner and appears to have a level and tint already. Fingers crossed

1.jpg