Ford is copying Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a WEN inverter generator 3500 watts. Don't know what it weighs but I pick it up alone and set it in back of the truck. Very quiet, runs almost 8 hrs on a little over a gallon of gas. $700 bucks.several hundred less than a 2000 Watt Honda, just as quiet! Screw a Ford power plug! too!!

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a WEN inverter generator 3500 watts. Don't know what it weighs but I pick it up alone and set it in back of the truck. Very quiet, runs almost 8 hrs on a little over a gallon of gas. $700 bucks.several hundred less than a 2000 Watt Honda, just as quiet! Screw a Ford power plug! too!!
Right, wouldn't be good to have the truck run 8 hours to power my rv ac would it.

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right, you wouldnt want your truck idling for hours on end--not a diesel and definatelly not a gasser.
Right, I can't imagine my truck running 8 hours while I'm camping to power my rv AC.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Tunaman is right-sounds like a good gen.-i will look into.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tunaman is right-sounds like a good gen.-i will look into.
I love it. Even put it on back of side by side one day,took it a mile outin the woods and powered a big impact chisel/drill. Had it 3 yrs works great. Next one I buy will be the remote start.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main difference between the Ford and the RAM is the ride. Whether you buy the cheapest XL model or the Limited with its super posh interior I bet underneath the suspension is exactly the same giving you the same ride characteristics across all models. Who in their right mind is going to spend $70K plus on a truck that rides like a buckboard when the cheapest RAM rides 10 times better? Not to mention I hate the fact that Ford changes things up like every three years.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would get a bit of a shock if you try to screw the power plug. I prefer to stick with women, but to each their own.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The main difference between the Ford and the RAM is the ride. Whether you buy the cheapest XL model or the Limited with its super posh interior I bet underneath the suspension is exactly the same giving you the same ride characteristics across all models. Who in their right mind is going to spend $70K plus on a truck that rides like a buckboard when the cheapest RAM rides 10 times better? Not to mention I hate the fact that Ford changes things up like every three years.
I’ve ridden in the newer Fords and they don’t ride like a buckboard. The ram may ride smoother, but it also squats under a load sooner.
You would rather stick with a brand that carries known problems to the next gen of truck.

Tony Ansley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I've owned all of the Big 3's truck offerings over the years, and International when they were a thing. I like the new Ford in that it looks like a Ford. The doors with the "Super Duty Dip" remind me of my last F-250. The interior looks good to me and if I can't have a column mounted shifter a center mount is next up, assuming nobody lets me row my own any longer.

But I wouldn't buy one. I don't want over-the-air updates and I don't want start/stop. I don't really understand why I want a tablet in my dash, either.

I agree. I just came from a 2010 F150 and I loved it. Had few problems. I like the "Super Duty Dip" for the extra visibility tot he front quarter area.

I bought a used 2019 Laramie and so far, i have to say, i love it as well. it has more options than my F150 (FX2) and I appreciate the added luxury.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I love the iPad in the dash, it's one of the features that sold me on switching to a Ram, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one. :). That's also why the new Ford is copying it.
I hope they don't ask go this way, the giant screen looks so out of place in the dash, it's too big and doesn't flow well with the rest of the dash. One feature that helped push me to a 19 classic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I like the look of the new Ford F150 but I would not buy one because I am not a fan of aluminum body panels. It's a great concept, lighter weight and no rust but....two of my friends had Navigators with aluminum panels on them and the paint started to peel off in sheets. Both complained to Ford and nothing was done about it. Seems like rock chips started the process of corrosion and it just spread under the paint. One was 5 years old the other 7. Unless Ford was going to warranty the paint why would I purposely buy an entire truck made of aluminum just to deal with that?

And of course there is my last experience I had with an F150. I had a 01 and after 7 years, I had rust holes in the bed, rusted brake lines and the wonderful tick, tick, tick from the broken exhaust manifold bolts that broke off in the aluminum heads for no reason.
There's alot more to that story of peeling passing on the aluminum. For and Chev, not sure about ram, have had aluminum hoods for years before Ford did the whole body. Never an issue with paint on the aluminum then.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
My cousin told me that when he bought his first Ford it would be his last as when he took long trips he had to stop about every hour to get out as his **** would be killing him , the seats were like sitting on the cement and no comfort at all lol . He was always a chevy person but got a good deal on the Ford but no more for him next will be a Ram as he loved how mine drives and the comfort .
Seats in a Ford are way more comfortable than in the Chev and alot more hip, leg & knee room. I found the seats in my 2011 f150 xlt were more comfortable on a 15hr drive than my new 19 classic ram.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I agree. I just came from a 2010 F150 and I loved it. Had few problems. I like the "Super Duty Dip" for the extra visibility tot he front quarter area.

I bought a used 2019 Laramie and so far, i have to say, i love it as well. it has more options than my F150 (FX2) and I appreciate the added luxury.
I miss that dip in the door, one feature I wish my ram had. I had a 2011 f150, with the 5.0 coyote, great engine, lots of power and match the eco boost in actual real world fuel economy. I only had 2 problems with the truck, a sensor went in the tranny at 89000 km covered under warranty, and 1 of the 4 vvt solenoid was acting up right when I traded it in at 110000km, simple $60 fix, but I was already looking at a jeep renegade trailhawk (big mistake).....

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I love the way my current trucks light the road when driving at night as I live in a rural area with no street lights and more than a few deer and skunks on the roads at night. The cute front headlights on 2020 Ram, Chevy, and Ford trucks greatly reduce the effectiveness for lighting the road. When I saw the 2021 Ford pickup leadlights it gave me pause on buying a 2021 Ram and now I am seriously considering the Ford F-150 instead.

Ford is also providing a hybrid version of the F-150 with a 50% gain in fuel economy and driving range on a tank of gas. The hybrid with the tow package is rated for towing 12,000 lbs. which put it into 2500 territory.

I have owned trucks from Willys, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and Toyota, and I buy whatever is the best vehicle at that point in time in terms of features and reliability. I don't have "brand loyalty" which to me is an indication of someone who cannot think for themselves.

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love the way my current trucks light the road when driving at night as I live in a rural area with no street lights and more than a few deer and skunks on the roads at night. The cute front headlights on 2020 Ram, Chevy, and Ford trucks greatly reduce the effectiveness for lighting the road. When I saw the 2021 Ford pickup leadlights it gave me pause on buying a 2021 Ram and now I am seriously considering the Ford F-150 instead.

Ford is also providing a hybrid version of the F-150 with a 50% gain in fuel economy and driving range on a tank of gas. The hybrid with the tow package is rated for towing 12,000 lbs. which put it into 2500 territory.

I have owned trucks from Willys, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and Toyota, and I buy whatever is the best vehicle at that point in time in terms of features and reliability. I don't have "brand loyalty" which to me is an indication of someone who cannot think for themselves.
Can’t think for themselves??? Ouch!

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I The ram did copy the f150 with the panoramic sun roof and it’s automatic steps that lower when the door opens.

I do not pretend to know all brands/models, but the automatic steps have been around in the aftermarket area for a while before Ford or Ram started including them from the factory.

As for panoramic sun roof, Jeep GCs have had those since 2014. Again, I do not know who had them first across all brands/models, but I believe that was before the Ford F150s had them. Just took FCA a while to get them into the Rams.

The new 2021 F150 gave me pause, but I still like the Ram better so far, especially interior. For those who like the wireless Carplay/Android Auto, 2021 Rams should be getting that with UConnect 5. The 2021 Pacifica is (confirmed by FCA), and they said next up is Rams and Jeep GCs.