Ford is copying Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
All I've ever bought is base model trucks...

Its true, they're getting harder to find. I give RAM full credit - the tradesman level is perfectly featured. I only added 4wd and chrome. Power windows, power locks, Bluetooth all standard. Ford is ridiculous that they charge I think it's $1100 for PW, PL. Atleast on the XL f250.

I love Ford's, I truly do. I think they make the best trucks, BUT those days of being the best don't look like they'll continue much longer. Who knows.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I've owned all of the Big 3's truck offerings over the years, and International when they were a thing. I like the new Ford in that it looks like a Ford. The doors with the "Super Duty Dip" remind me of my last F-250. The interior looks good to me and if I can't have a column mounted shifter a center mount is next up, assuming nobody lets me row my own any longer.

But I wouldn't buy one. I don't want over-the-air updates and I don't want start/stop. I don't really understand why I want a tablet in my dash, either.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ford definitely tried to soften their front end, but the rest of the truck is so brick like, I'm not sure it works.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
One things for sure, they sure aren't afraid to give you a ton of engine options!
Nearly triple the engine options of a 1500 Ram...

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Well, the 2021 Rams are totally different so no comparison there... I think it's better looking than the Ford though....yeah?

2021-Ram-Rebel-TRX-1222.jpg

They still apparently spend a lot of time at the pump however.

2021-ram-rebel-trx-prototype.jpg

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Appears like the same tin can POS on the road already, only more over-engineered with a little additional comfort and luxury inside for just under 75 grand.

Still including base model rentals counted as part of their touted “class leading Sales”

Most years the F-150 hovers around 50% of sales to fleets or commercial, which only tends to depress resale values.

Still, the new design is much better looking in my eyes and it is obvious that Ford elected to drop out of the race for the ugliest truck in America, even if it took many Ram design cues to do it. I was in a new F-150 not too long ago and although the interior looked much better than Silverado/Sierra, the materials selection just screamed of plastic. I hope Ford upgraded their interiors.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 034918 miles.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Ford copied the eTorque system. They now offer a lithium battery behind back seat just like Ram. The thing I noticed that impressed me was their a/c plug-in will run skill saws and pretty much anything you can plug into a house outlet. Ram will not run much of anything. Mine balked at a little electric saw I tried. Useless. Ram needs to step it up here.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I really don't get the shifter in the new Ford. It's obviously electronic, so why put it in the way? And, I don't see the Ford copied eTorque. They just added the mild hybrid that's already in use in other Ford products. This is a true hard connected electric motor between the engine and transmission, where RAM is an external motor outside the engine connected by belt. For a "mild" hybrid, I'm starting to like the RAM method better. But then again, it doesn't offer 7.2K of A/C offload. That would be sweet if it were a simple update to the RAM eTorque system to add a few K watts A/C instead of the weak 400 watts currently offered. Love the start/stop that this adds too, saves a ton of gas for me. And, is super smooth, rarely noticed it's activated. I don't see the Ford method being this smooth, but I'm sure we'll see plenty of comparisons after the Ford hits the roads.

Marathon84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get a crew cab F-150 you can still only get the short bed, right? Dealbreaker for me.

Big D's Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the look of the new Ford F150 but I would not buy one because I am not a fan of aluminum body panels. It's a great concept, lighter weight and no rust but....two of my friends had Navigators with aluminum panels on them and the paint started to peel off in sheets. Both complained to Ford and nothing was done about it. Seems like rock chips started the process of corrosion and it just spread under the paint. One was 5 years old the other 7. Unless Ford was going to warranty the paint why would I purposely buy an entire truck made of aluminum just to deal with that?

And of course there is my last experience I had with an F150. I had a 01 and after 7 years, I had rust holes in the bed, rusted brake lines and the wonderful tick, tick, tick from the broken exhaust manifold bolts that broke off in the aluminum heads for no reason.

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
F-150 have some nice new feature but it still looks too tame. I'm sticking with Ram as ford still ugly.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the look of the new Ford F150 but I would not buy one because I am not a fan of aluminum body panels. It's a great concept, lighter weight and no rust but....two of my friends had Navigators with aluminum panels on them and the paint started to peel off in sheets. Both complained to Ford and nothing was done about it. Seems like rock chips started the process of corrosion and it just spread under the paint. One was 5 years old the other 7. Unless Ford was going to warranty the paint why would I purposely buy an entire truck made of aluminum just to deal with that?

And of course there is my last experience I had with an F150. I had a 01 and after 7 years, I had rust holes in the bed, rusted brake lines and the wonderful tick, tick, tick from the broken exhaust manifold bolts that broke off in the aluminum heads for no reason.

B B But, that aluminum is military grade, huh? The ad on TV sounded so Macho ********!

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque Hemi
I've owned all of the Big 3's truck offerings over the years, and International when they were a thing. I like the new Ford in that it looks like a Ford. The doors with the "Super Duty Dip" remind me of my last F-250. The interior looks good to me and if I can't have a column mounted shifter a center mount is next up, assuming nobody lets me row my own any longer.

But I wouldn't buy one. I don't want over-the-air updates and I don't want start/stop. I don't really understand why I want a tablet in my dash, either.

I love the iPad in the dash, it's one of the features that sold me on switching to a Ram, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one. :). That's also why the new Ford is copying it.