foxacoustics / Sub Combos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just installed All new kicker DS series ( 3 1/2 dash, 6.5 front door, 6x9 rears) on stock Unit. Everything sounds 100 percent Better than Stock. Now I'm looking for the final piece of the puzzle! SUBWOOFER!! Looks like Fox Acoustic is very popular for the Ram.( Great price / fitment) So, I need some ideas on what other people are running for a Subs. I'm thinking since my mids n highs are running off the stock unit with no plans of putting them on an amp.( which I why I went with DS instead of CS) I shouldn't go too crazy with Subs bc I don't want it to over power my highs n mids. I'm looking for BALANCE.

Drops some pics and what combo you guys running! plz include what amp you using!! Thanks

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m a big fan of JL (running a W6) and my suggestion is a 12W0. They are inexpensive, don’t require a lot of power, and sound good.

09WHITESPORT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 SPORT
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a single ported 12" fox box with a Crescendo Forte powered by a Skar 1000 Watt class D. Most guys that get in my truck are surprised its only a single 12" and that it fits under the seat.

Ride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I second the JL subs. Im running a single 10w3 and it sounds great, very musical but still plays low when needed

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you were to go with a 12" single sub and the fox acoustics box, I'd put a Sundown SA12 in it. For the price, you're going to get way more sub than anything JL puts out. If you were to go with a w6, you'd spend a lot more for it, and you'll be getting a sub not as good as the Sundown. For the money, that sa12 is a bomb. It's conservatively rated and can take a lot more power if your gains are set right. Plus Sundown has a 2 year warranty with their subs. The sa series is not just an SPL sub. It actually has a faraday ring in it, so it does have characteristics of an SQ sub. I think JL puts out some decent subs, but there are a lot better for less. Sundown being one. Do some research on Sundown subs. I think you'll be surprised at what everyone that owns one says. That will be my next sub once my RE Audio takes a dump.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I've heard many, some sound great, some not so great, and you spend a ton of money.
The best I've heard in a sealed box is Kicker Comp Q Class. I had a Comp Q 10" in a .60 sealed box, 500 watts, sounded great musically, and had lowend for days when needed.
It is deep, so that will be a factor, depends on box used.

20150307_110043.jpg

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty happy with my NetAudio enclosure with ID 8" woofers and the Hertz ML5 amp...

OP
OP
Ecofx86

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you were to go with a 12" single sub and the fox acoustics box, I'd put a Sundown SA12 in it. For the price, you're going to get way more sub than anything JL puts out. If you were to go with a w6, you'd spend a lot more for it, and you'll be getting a sub not as good as the Sundown. For the money, that sa12 is a bomb. It's conservatively rated and can take a lot more power if your gains are set right. Plus Sundown has a 2 year warranty with their subs. The sa series is not just an SPL sub. It actually has a faraday ring in it, so it does have characteristics of an SQ sub. I think JL puts out some decent subs, but there are a lot better for less. Sundown being one. Do some research on Sundown subs. I think you'll be surprised at what everyone that owns one says. That will be my next sub once my RE Audio takes a dump.

are you talking about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/SA-12-D4-REV...=Sundown+SA12&qid=1554326420&s=gateway&sr=8-2

will it fit in the ported fox box?

09WHITESPORT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 SPORT
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I know that sundown will fit in the single ported box. My crescendo is almost 1/2" deeper then the sa12 and still has room.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
If you want balance, Sundown is not your sub unless you get a single 10. Sundown (SA series) is a rowdy sub in a ported box. It is somewhat musical but there are better options.
Im not knocking Sundown...but I believe there are better options for your wants/needs. I think a Image Dynamics ID10, ID12, or IDQ10 or IDQ12 would better suit you....they'll def be more musical, gentle when needed, and blend wayyyy better than anything Sundown offers.

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are going to get more opinions than there are atoms in the universe. So good luck. I have a singe Fox Box with a Focal Flax 10" I couldn't be happier. For the front, Focal flax 3ways bi-amped with a JL 900/5. No rears of coarse.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want balance, Sundown is not your sub unless you get a single 10. Sundown (SA series) is a rowdy sub in a ported box. It is somewhat musical but there are better options.
Im not knocking Sundown...but I believe there are better options for your wants/needs. I think a Image Dynamics ID10, ID12, or IDQ10 or IDQ12 would better suit you....they'll def be more musical, gentle when needed, and blend wayyyy better than anything Sundown offers.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. The sa series has a faraday ring in it for a reason. Most people that see Sundown just hear them banging. Which they are good for that, too. But the sa is a good sub and most of all, the enclosure for it is going to have to do a lot with the way it sounds. The fox acoustics with the Sundown sa, should be a good combo match. The box might be a little on the small side, but it will still sound good. I haven't got to hear it in person, but I've plugged it in to winisd and got good results for it. I know, I know. But I think for the money, you're getting one hell of a sub that will last a long time, as long as gains, etc are set correctly. Which is with most subs, but that 2 year warranty sure makes you feel a little better inside. ;) On another note, if someone wants good sq, look into the fi audio subs. Those have been highly recommended on forums for a good accurate sub. And cheaper than the big name stuff. And made in the USA.

This here.
https://ficaraudio.com/product/xv3-series-x12/

Last edited:

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2 12 dd 600 series and the hit pretty hard and fill in the sound well and match the air space perfectly

OP
OP
Ecofx86

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have 2 12 dd 600 series and the hit pretty hard and fill in the sound well and match the air space perfectly

how is your amp hooked up/ loc or lc2I?

i'm going back n forth whether I want to buy a T- harness from net audio, put a loc tap into rear speakers and use rear cig lighter or buy lc2i.

is bass roll off that big a deal on these trucks?

how do the seal boxes sound? I listen to more county n rock.

OP
OP
Ecofx86

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You are going to get more opinions than there are atoms in the universe. So good luck. I have a singe Fox Box with a Focal Flax 10" I couldn't be happier. For the front, Focal flax 3ways bi-amped with a JL 900/5. No rears of coarse.

how do you have your amp wired? Did u have to use resistors on the speaker wire going into amp? The Front Dash n front speakers are wired together correct? do u use 2 channels for the dash n fronts ?

OP
OP
Ecofx86

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a single ported 12" fox box with a Crescendo Forte powered by a Skar 1000 Watt class D. Most guys that get in my truck are surprised its only a single 12" and that it fits under the seat.

how is your amp wired?

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the subs are at 2 ohms... series each woofer, so that they are 4 ohms each and then parallel at the amp. 2 ohm load.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
As mentioned, hard to go wrong with a replacement in the 10” sub market. With your 2 key variables of optimal enclosure volume and continuous power @2 ohms rating, you’ll find there are several highly reviewed options.