Frame surface rust or rot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blanked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 6.4
Engine
How well does your heavy duty handle the salt roads in your area? Do you religiously power wash or simply hose off the frame as needed or leave it alone.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Live where that stuff isn't used. ;)

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Follow the fluid film tutorial on here, or go pay for Krown. Then there is no need to worry.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I power wash mine religiously. I drop and get the under carriage from every angle I have time for but it did not keep my metal from Starting to look like a rust bucket, and I can't stand rust on much, especiallymy truck or my tools.

I crawled under mine with a couple rattle cans, Rustoleum Primer for Rusty Surfaces and Rustoleum exterior gloss black (to match factory). The transformation was super cool, Paint may not be the most maintenance free option but it looks best, imo.

The rust photos are of a truck washed, garaged, and less then 5yrs old so I think if they salt the roads. some thing needs to be applied, washing won't avoid rust entirely.

I live half a mile on dirt road to 85mph interstate and the rattle can application looks to be holding up extremely well. It took me a s ton of rattle cans. Like 12 or something.414e640328f0b808cc8573bb83486b6d.jpg1e233fd6234f4ad33d6014e13f6acd5f.jpgcb220ee76d923f5c9205c31b17aa494d.jpg

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, that’s Ontario too.

It is the same in most of Canada, in Alberta my last truck developed minor surface rust at the beginning of winter and had rust holes the size of a fist by the end of winter (winters are 6 months long in Alberta).
Quoted $9,000 to fix.
I traded the truck for a newer one.
Almost went to Fart because of the aluminum body to prevent the rust but couldn’t bring myself to get a Fart.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is the same in most of Canada, in Alberta my last truck developed minor surface rust at the beginning of winter and had rust holes the size of a fist by the end of winter (winters are 6 months long in Alberta).
Quoted $9,000 to fix.
Almost went to Fart because of the aluminum body to prevent the rust but couldn’t bring myself to get a Fart.

I’ll take a prairie truck over an Ontario or Quebec truck any day of the week.

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll take a prairie truck over an Ontario or Quebec truck any day of the week.

I will agree Ontario has the worst rusted cars and trucks for their age I have ever see.
I have only been to Ontario twice in my life and the first time I was a young man and went with my buddy for a vacation (his family was from there), we borrowed his mothers car that was only 2 years old, I was shocked at how rusty it was.
I’m originally from BC southern coast and vehicles don’t rust there until they very old even with high amount rain they get there every year, winter is rainy season not snow and ice, very little salt on the roads but it is used when temperatures do drop below freezing to prevent black ice on the roads.

bpgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm currently in Ottawa, CAN and can vouch for these observations. I don't drive my truck much as it's just my tow vehicle now, but I did have "corrosion-free" applied on it for protection. Even then, some of the areas not coated began to rust after just one year. Needless to say, this place is rough on vehicles. If you love your vehicle, get it treated for peace of mind.

Moreover, imagine everyone's surprise when they see an early 90s VW daily driven on Ottawa roads with little to no rust. Its a testament to the efficacy of rust treatment for vehicle longevity after one winter, going on two (there are small bits of rust, but easily fixed and treated with 'corrosion-free'IMG_20200803_162151.jpg )

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I power wash mine religiously. I drop and get the under carriage from every angle I have time for but it did not keep my metal from Starting to look like a rust bucket, and I can't stand rust on much, especiallymy truck or my tools.

I crawled under mine with a couple rattle cans, Rustoleum Primer for Rusty Surfaces and Rustoleum exterior gloss black (to match factory). The transformation was super cool, Paint may not be the most maintenance free option but it looks best, imo.

The rust photos are of a truck washed, garaged, and less then 5yrs old so I think if they salt the roads. some thing needs to be applied, washing won't avoid rust entirely.

I live half a mile on dirt road to 85mph interstate and the rattle can application looks to be holding up extremely well. It took me a s ton of rattle cans. Like 12 or something.414e640328f0b808cc8573bb83486b6d.jpg1e233fd6234f4ad33d6014e13f6acd5f.jpgcb220ee76d923f5c9205c31b17aa494d.jpg

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

WOW. That turned out GREAT! You must be just as **** as me LOL

I have contemplated doing this in the past but have yet to follow through. Seems like A LOT of work. Roughly how long did it take you? Did you cover the entire truck with visqueen or something to prevent overspray from getting on paint and windows?

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quoted $9,000 to fix.
Steel rusts and alum corrodes.Choose your poison.Neither one likes salt or brine.

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s why I moved to Central Alabama from Michigan in 07’ and only just last year did I buy a new Ram ! Not planning on buying anything in the future if I can keep it rust free !!!

Rick Gabler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
What or who is Kron? I bought a brand new 2019 1500 Classic last January. Thinking of having it rust proofed. Ziebart will cost me about $369 to do the rocker and other areas under the truck. I can bring it back each year and for $50 they will inspect it and touch it up where ever necessary. Good deal? Other recommendations. I never see my questions answered on this website, I really hope I hear back on this one. Thanks. [email protected]

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is virtually rust free, but in a couple of years it will spend time UP North and I had the same thoughts of how to preserve the truck.
I saw an episode of Stacey David's Gearz demo of KBS coatings, a 3 step with minimal prep coating system that you brush on and it flows to dry with a smooth finish.
So far it is only a thought as I don't have the time or motivation to go forward with this idea... :birgits_tiredcoffee