Free simple 5 minute mod = feels about 10 Hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Christy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let alone less stress on the water pump,I tow alot and never over heat great mod!

caltx01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I took my Break Pads and Rotors off and saved 100 pounds of dead weight. Feels a lot more peppy now.
Oh, I took out all my neighbors mailboxes on the way to work this morning. But so far no regrets!

(Just Kidding)

:lol: :lol:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clutch fans sound wonderful and waaaay cheaper why the hell did they delete it in the new trucks?? and every other truck out there

The new PWM fans are pretty incredible as to what they are capable of. The Gen 4 fans are not PWM fans.
Still not sure how much they will like being submerged in water though.

One big reason though and it's the same one as the shutters - they have EPA mpg targets they have to meet.

I am not sure if the new E-torque option may have also had something to do with it - it is getting busy on the front of the motor.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I took my Break Pads and Rotors off and saved 100 pounds of dead weight. Feels a lot more peppy now.
Oh, I took out all my neighbors mailboxes on the way to work this morning. But so far no regrets!

(Just Kidding)
Break pads be breakin lol if you brake it you buy it blanco whites

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new PWM fans are pretty incredible as to what they are capable of. The Gen 4 fans are not PWM fans.

One big reason though and it's the same one as the shutters - they have EPA mpg targets they have to meet.

I am not sure if the new E-torque option may have also had something to do with it - it is getting busy on the front of the motor.
EPA mpg number’s someone should have told me that when I bought my Power Wagon

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think by just looking at the Power Wagon that you can tell mpg is going to, well I really can't think of a nice way to say it so, just suck.

The 2500's don't go by the same specs as far as EPA mpg as the 1500's do.

OP
OP
G

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Hmmm lets look at the benefits of running electric fans..
-Free up horsepower
-Duel electric fans better more efficient cooling than any clutch fan
-Better mpg
-Colder ac
- less stress on pulleys,water pumps theres probably more cant think of :)

The extra drag probably ******* timing a lil when shifting gears lol... jk..

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm lets look at the benefits of running electric fans..
-Free up horsepower
-Duel electric fans better more efficient cooling than any clutch fan
-Better mpg
-Colder ac
- less stress on pulleys,water pumps theres probably more cant think of :)

The extra drag probably ******* timing a lil when shifting gears lol... jk..

Not free horsepower - the fan requires electricity and puts a load on the alternator - which takes HP, the clutch fan uses very little HP when not engaged also.

Electric fans are only a bit better at idle and very low rpms, clutch fans move a tremendous amount of air at just off idle and up.

I noticed no mpg gain with the clutch fan off on my 2016, now my 99 5.2 dakota going electric was good for 2 mpg across the board, my 01 5.9 dakota removing the clutch was good for about 1 mpg across the board, my 16 5.7 had no gain highway, maybe and I stress maybe 0.5 mpg in town.

A/C performance is unchanged - the A/C already uses an electric fan on the later rams and from 2001 up on the dakotas.

Water pump life does seem to be better without the weight of the clutch fan.

I will say this though, electric fans will give an HP and MPG gain IF the clutch fan is not working properly and is engaged or if towing/hauling heavy at low speed in very hot weather.
I will also say, going electric on a clutch fan only equipped truck (earlier models) will improve MPG and HP.

Clutch fans have improved over the years and when mixed with an electric fan are very efficient - and that is the key.

That all being said, the new variable speed PWM fans can give better performance than a standard (gen 4) electric fan or most likely standard fan/clutch combo. They can be run at much more efficient speeds saving electricity and thus HP.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just don't buy the huge differences in (delivered) horsepower - thermodynamics isn't just a good idea it's the law. Running an electric fan requires a load on the alternator as mentioned above and while that's buffered a little bit (it doesn't just scale up directly with RPM like a clutch driven fan) the energy still does need to be generated and that does still drag on the engine.

I agree that a PWM electric solution - if engineered to purpose - can be more surgical about exactly when and where it turns on like for example taking advantage of deceleration and other fluctuations in power output to optimize energy use especially if it's controlled by the vehicle's engine control computer so it has access to rich information and can be programmed to use that information.

But retrofitting some electric fan onto a 4th gen isn't an engineered solution like that it's just some DIY compromise that probably works for most trucks because most trucks aren't asked to give 100% very often.

On the other side of it, the whole point of the clutch in an engine driven fan is to disengage the fan so the engine isn't wasting power churning air when it's already at the right temperature. Thermodynamics come into play here if the clutch was "using" 10 horsepower then it would need to somehow get rid of 10 horsepower worth of heat, energy can't disappear - so it's just not eating that much power. It's also not delivering that much power to the fan - if you shut the engine off while it's hot you could easily turn the fan with your hand and your hand is not 10 horsepower.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Hard to beat a 60 MPH fan while moving.......LoL

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Rotation weight/mass outweighs strain on the alternator from electric fan on HP in the upper RPMs.
Not to mention quicker warm-ups..........LoL

OP
OP
G

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not free horsepower - the fan requires electricity and puts a load on the alternator - which takes HP, the clutch fan uses very little HP when not engaged also.

Electric fans are only a bit better at idle and very low rpms, clutch fans move a tremendous amount of air at just off idle and up.

I noticed no mpg gain with the clutch fan off on my 2016, now my 99 5.2 dakota going electric was good for 2 mpg across the board, my 01 5.9 dakota removing the clutch was good for about 1 mpg across the board, my 16 5.7 had no gain highway, maybe and I stress maybe 0.5 mpg in town.

A/C performance is unchanged - the A/C already uses an electric fan on the later rams and from 2001 up on the dakotas.

Water pump life does seem to be better without the weight of the clutch fan.

I will say this though, electric fans will give an HP and MPG gain IF the clutch fan is not working properly and is engaged or if towing/hauling heavy at low speed in very hot weather.
I will also say, going electric on a clutch fan only equipped truck (earlier models) will improve MPG and HP.

Clutch fans have improved over the years and when mixed with an electric fan are very efficient - and that is the key.

That all being said, the new variable speed PWM fans can give better performance than a standard (gen 4) electric fan or most likely standard fan/clutch combo. They can be run at much more efficient speeds saving electricity and thus HP.

bro i just want to say i disagree with everything you said here pretty sure i can prove it, i just dont want to get into it so lets just leave it at that..

Problem solved you keep your glorious clutch fan im staying electric for the extra HP and colder ac ..
:)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe a tad more on the top end, so drag racing it might be bonus.
On my everyday rpm range of 600-2000 rpms, not much.

OP
OP
G

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

dude u taking notes from a guy with a 140hp volvo ..his probably got a misfire code in all 4 cylinders :jester: come on man... im telling you i can feel the difference my butt dyno tells me at least 15 hp.. also electric fans are waaaay more powerful than any clutch fan ever come stand infront of my ctsv and you'll understand..

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some electric fans pull a lot of CFM, along with a boat load of amps.
Does the stock electric fan - nope.

In you post you mention it is quieter also.
The only time I hear my clutch fan is at 2 times - a. at startup for about 1-2 minutes and b. when it is engaged and then only for about a minute until it cools the engine back off (usually when towing and after sitting at a red light for several minutes on a very hot day).
When the clutch is engaged, you will hear and feel the load - it is significant.

If you hear your clutch fan at times other than under those conditions, maybe you have a bad clutch. If this is the case, then you would also feel a big boost by removing the clutch fan, like you do.

In the video, 15 hp load is 15 hp load whether it is on a 140 hp motor or a 400 hp motor.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"electric fans are waaaay more powerful than any clutch fan ever come stand infront of my ctsv and you'll understand."

There are clutch/mechanical fans on trucks that pull in excess of 10,000 cfm.

Also, electric fans cfm rating are rated at no load in front of the fan - ie. a no restriction rating, which isn't how the fan will be installed.

https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/anyone-know-how-many-cfm-the-fan-pulls.24074/

Again not an apple to apples comparison to our clutch fans, but I doubt your ctsv electric fan can hang in the cfm competition.