Front Coilovers ICON, FOX, OR KING ?

Quality of Product Front Coilovers

• FOX

• KING

• ICON

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
2016 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 2.0 lift
315 70 17 10ply
currently have bilsteins on all four corners

It time to replace my front coilovers

I want opinions on what works best with my setup

Although I don’t know what the dealer lifted my truck with I’m suspecting spacers

My experience with aftermarket coilovers are that I’m leaning towards FOX and KING but ICON is comparable

Reservoir shock bodies tend to be more pricey I spend the majority of my drive time on paved roads that have small baby sized potholes and sunken grades

Do you recommend 2.0 , 2.5 or 3.0 etc ?

What is your personal experience etc.

Thanks for posting

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
2016 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 2.0 lift
315 70 17 10ply
currently have bilsteins on all four corners

It time to replace my front coilovers

I want opinions on what works best with my setup

Although I don’t know what the dealer lifted my truck with I’m suspecting spacers

My experience with aftermarket coilovers are that I’m leaning towards FOX and KING but ICON is comparable

Reservoir shock bodies tend to be more pricey I spend the majority of my drive time on paved roads that have small baby sized potholes and sunken grades

Do you recommend 2.0 , 2.5 or 3.0 etc ?

What is your personal experience etc.

Thanks for posting
Well, "best" is rather subjective term lol as I'm sure you've seen with opinions on products. Ram1500rsm and myself have run through quite a few setups and have been very verbal about pros and cons. There's alot of setup variables to take into account for each guys specific goals.

Are you looking for best overall street ride, do you go offroad at all, and if so is it high or low speed, etc.

I'm currently running icon fronts, fox rears and jeep gladiator rear coils and I couldn't ask for more. Just be honest with you and goal and how much you wanna spend.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Well, "best" is rather subjective term lol as I'm sure you've seen with opinions on products. Ram1500rsm and myself have run through quite a few setups and have been very verbal about pros and cons. There's alot of setup variables to take into account for each guys specific goals.

Are you looking for best overall street ride, do you go offroad at all, and if so is it high or low speed, etc.

I'm currently running icon fronts, fox rears and jeep gladiator rear coils and I couldn't ask for more. Just be honest with you and goal and how much you wanna spend.

I see what you’re saying
my surfaces are mostly paved and winding mountain roads sometimes dry sometimes wet with snow other times its logging roads that are mostly 3/4 inch gravel
4wheels engaged 1/4 of the time

OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I like soft rear and hard front
Tracking front suspension without much noticeable compression
Soft rebounding rear suspension that's forgiving and torque sensitive

Are the Jeep Gladiator springs Softer than stock RAM springs or just taller ?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I see what you’re saying
my surfaces are mostly paved and winding mountain roads sometimes dry sometimes wet with snow other times its logging roads that are mostly 3/4 inch gravel
4wheels engaged 1/4 of the time
Ok. Off the top of my head, I think you'll be super happy with a 2.5" coilover. Big enough to handle whatever you throw at them but not too far overkill.
Personally I've run
Bilstein 6112s and Icons up front and Bilstein 5100s and fox 2.0 rears

Rear coils have been stock, bilstein and now synergy jeep gladiator coils.

Stock and Bilstein coils rode the same, synergy coils are a heavier rate that is firm and matches my icons perfect.

I will say my icons handle the road super well, potholes and medium sized road imperfections are absorbed very nicely and they are firm enough I can push the truck as hard as I'm comfortable in corners. Small cracks like expansion joints are felt a little more than when I had the 6112s. It takes a decent hit to make them feel plush and soft, but by no means are they harsh. I dropped my tires to 40 psi cold snd that took almost all the feeling out of the small crap. my biggest concern while searching was harsh ride and there's no issues there. I went icon purely for the fact that my buddy has them and has yet to rebuild them on his tacoma after 80k miles in NJ and we get all the weird weather with nasty winters and hot summers. The reliability is what drew me to them.

If you're looking for a bit softer street ride all around I think fox or king will likely yield a bit better results. They're running softer coils and valved a bit more progressive.

You will not be unhappy with any of these choices mind you.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I like soft rear and hard front
Tracking front suspension without much noticeable compression
Soft rebounding rear suspension that's forgiving and torque sensitive

Are the Jeep Gladiator springs Softer than stock RAM springs or just taller ?
Didn't see this follow up post.

So the rear coils are taller free height, multi rate, and a bit firmer. Stock ram coils are around 200in/lbs and the coils I went to are 259 in/lbs. I'm planning on adding decked drawers so I wanted a bit of added rate to help with weight. The fox shocks are very nicely valved and very soft compared to bilsteins, with these coils it's an awesome setup that is firm, and handles awesome on road but takes hits beyond my expectations. The truck feels very balanced.

If you're a fan of the front being firm, I really suggest giving the icons a look. They're firm, but not harsh. It's very hard to convey but I get minimal body roll or input, the truck holds very well and reacts to bumps mid corner very well without feeling wallowy. I'm very surprised with them.

I've got no experience personally running kings or fox, I've heard Kings feel very similar to this out of the box until you really start getting them custom tuned but I'll wait for someone with experience to hopefully add to that.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quality wise there are not a lot of differences at least that you as an end customer have to worry about. You're paying for high end shocks and you get what you pay for. My favorite local tuner likes Fox better than King but i'm still a King dude for life :), I've tried Icon, SAW, Walker Evans, Radflo and now King, every single one of those kits had always put a grin in my face i have zero regrets.

2.0's can work for your needs but often in times you may want to be more aggresive and 2.0 CO's might not keep up, it's the worst feeling specially on something as big as RAM 1500 crew cab worst if you put heavy wheels/tires on it. i Given yours thoughts on what you need them for, I think Icon Stage 1 will suite your needs and be the most cost effective solution in your case.

Contact Nick and he can put together something for you at the very best price there is. Again if your budget only allows for say 2.0's front and rear they will work, from experience, put out a little more and get 2.5 CO's for the front, 2.0's will be ok for the rear initially, if you want more you can get more s time/money allows.

Have fun.

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
honestly happy with the Icons I was thinking of going with kings but for what I use the truck for the icons great. Going to send them in for a revlave and service soon , weigh your complete wheel and tire and they will valve the shocks for your set up

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The valving is critical, far more important than brand.

Find a suspension tuner that you like and go with their valving profile. Testing, testing, testing! That is what matters, it take hours of saddle time to dial in a shock tune.

Most valving profiles are rubbish IMHO. It's a generic shock tune from the manufacturer to meet a wide variety of applications.

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
The valving is critical, far more important than brand.

Find a suspension tuner that you like and go with their valving profile. Testing, testing, testing! That is what matters, it take hours of saddle time to dial in a shock tune.

Most valving profiles are rubbish IMHO. It's a generic shock tune from the manufacturer to meet a wide variety of applications.
Contact the folks at Accutune and tell them exactly how your truck is set up and exactly how you are using it and I have no doubt that they can set you up with a great suspension system!