Front Driver side tire sticks out more than passenger after bilstein 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ccamp450

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed bilstein 5100s front n back on my 16 ram 1500 4x4 crew cab big horn. I Set the front to 2.8 and now my driver side tire is sticking out more than my passenger. It’s driving me nuts and I would like to recenter my front axle. Does anyone have any idea how to go about this? I’ve searched and only found information on 2500s and to correct it you need an adjustable track bar. I’m guessing the 1500 does not have one? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Tonyd2323

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Front axle is not adjustable on the 1500s. What are your alignment specs. Is the whole wheel sticking out further or is it more the top of the tire sticking out a bit more.

OP
OP
C

Ccamp450

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess that’s why I couldn’t find any information about it. Looks like the whole wheel/tire is sticking out about 1 1/2-2”. The truck drives like crap. Drives straight but feels sloppy over bumps and my rear end hops pretty aggressively over decent size bumps.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trying to think how your driver wheel is sticking out 1.5-2" compared to the passenger with an IFS.
Unless you moved your driver LCA out of adjustment but still 1.5"-2" is a lot for a stock LCA and i don't think it's possible to push the wheel out like that with stock arms... maybe you had wheel spacers and forgot to put the passenger one back ?
Hope you're were not expecting to jump decent size bumps with 5100's either :), they're not designed for that type of stuff, they're street shocks with a shinny body.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Trying to think how your driver wheel is sticking out 1.5-2" compared to the passenger with an IFS.
Unless you moved your driver LCA out of adjustment but still 1.5"-2" is a lot for a stock LCA and i don't think it's possible to push the wheel out like that with stock arms... maybe you had wheel spacers and forgot to put the passenger one back ?
Hope you're were not expecting to jump decent size bumps with 5100's either :), they're not designed for that type of stuff, they're street shocks with a shinny body.

Thank you. lol. I was thinking along the very same lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Ta

OP
OP
C

Ccamp450

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram1500 lol I was referring to bumps in the street. This is all new to me, I’ve never leveled/lifted a truck before and don’t know too much about it. So what else could it be? Camber says -.01 on driver side.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Post your alignment sheet, and take a pic from the front showing both wheels to see how they stick out, maybe you hae some sort of wild camber in/out on both sides so it appears one wheel stick out further.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah crap sorry i didn't see you posted the sheet before, damn iphone :)
That alignment looks spot on.
Post a picture, whatever it's is not in your alignment.

OP
OP
C

Ccamp450

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just posted it again hopefully you can see it. I’ll post a pic of the front end tomorrow.the mechanic that did the alignment said my camber was maxed out. I have no idea man but it’s driving me nuts. If I didn’t already pay for two alignments I’d put it back to stock just to stop worrying about it lol.

OP
OP
C

Ccamp450

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
N
Ah crap sorry i didn't see you posted the sheet before, damn iphone :)
That alignment looks spot on.
Post a picture, whatever it's is not in your alignment.

No worries. I hear you on the iPhone I keep getting congratulation ads

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just posted it again hopefully you can see it. I’ll post a pic of the front end tomorrow.the mechanic that did the alignment said my camber was maxed out. I have no idea man but it’s driving me nuts. If I didn’t already pay for two alignments I’d put it back to stock just to stop worrying about it lol.
Aftermarket UCA's will allow you to run more camber and caster, but that alignment looks very good.

OP
OP
C

Ccamp450

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aftermarket UCA's will allow you to run more camber and caster, but that alignment looks very good.
That’s what I thought but something is definitely not right. Like I said before the truck drives like crap after the level and it just looks wrong lol No idea man.

OP
OP
C

Ccamp450

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds good. Yeah I did it myself. Replaced Coil overs on my previous cars to go lower but never higher.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While you are getting pictures, measure from the frame, to the tire on both sides. If the frame to tire measurements are the same, then you could have a situation where the suspension is fine but the body is not centered on the frame, and it just wasn’t noticeable before you leveled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While you are getting pictures, measure from the frame, to the tire on both sides. If the frame to tire measurements are the same, then you could have a situation where the suspension is fine but the body is not centered on the frame, and it just wasn’t noticeable before you leveled.

Wouldn't that means the frame is crooked ? i think it only has one way to fit but that i'm not sure 100%, so unless the truck was in an accident and the OP didn't know about, i don't see how the body won't be centered with the frame a good 1.5-2"

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wouldn't that means the frame is crooked ? i think it only has one way to fit but that i'm not sure 100%, so unless the truck was in an accident and the OP didn't know about, i don't see how the body won't be centered with the frame a good 1.5-2"

Even with a perfect frame, if the cab isn’t set on perfectly square at assembly, the fenders and bed(because they are lined up with the cab) can be off quite a bit at the front and back.

I’m not sure what the tolerances are on newer trucks, but on some older trucks I’ve worked on, I’ve seen as much as a 2” of difference from front to back. (Example, front off by 1” to driver side, back off by 1” to passenger side. )