Front rotor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudelikestrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, 2017, 3500, 44K miles first brake job The guy i use to work on my truck is booked for 6 weeks out. My front rotor/rotors are warped and causing pulsing ect. So..... I decided to replace them myself.. started this morning on passenger side everything going well unil taking the rotor off. Wont come off. sprayed it with PB blaster were i could. Ive beat the hell out of it. Ive never encountered a rotor this bad. 3 pound hammer and sludge hammer. Wont budge... Watched a ton of videos no luck for ideas that will work for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve used this trick before, pulled a pic from the internet to show. Use the bolt holes used to secure the caliper to push from the rear of the rotor with bolts. There’s also another bolt trick from the front, bunch of vids on YouTube showing how.

zW8Z58.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use the bolt trick to put constant pressure on it, then some sharp blows with a BFH. Alternate top/bottom ..which is less stressful on your truck's tie rod end. Try not to kill the patient in order to complete the surgery.

Also, a good hammering around the center (with a very heavy duty punch) ...and around the lug stud region.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The caliper doesnt have the screw assist? It would be a blank hole around the stud holes.

Wagner has e coated rotors so they wont weld and screw assist as a back up, so this wont happen again.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use a pipe wrench. Attach to the top of rotor. As long as you clamp the pipe wrench right and give a few wacks with a sledge. No matter how stubborn it is, it doesn’t stand a chance.

johnb555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve used this trick before, pulled a pic from the internet to show. Use the bolt holes used to secure the caliper to push from the rear of the rotor with bolts. There’s also another bolt trick from the front, bunch of vids on YouTube showing how.

View attachment 497815

Hope this helps.
This is how I got my rotors off. I changed mine around 90,000 and they were really rusted on.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once you get the rotor off, be sure to clean any rust off the hub face. I typically coat the hub face and the inner rotor region with a light coat of anti-seize. (light coat being the operative term)

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jeepwalker great idea with the light coating of anti-seize on the back of the brake rotors.
I have always just put a light film of anti-seize on the back of the hub/bolt pattern area of the aluminum wheels to keep the bi-metal corrosion from welding the wheels on

OP
OP
dudelikestrucks

dudelikestrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I tried the bolt trick but only one bolt. As I tightened it the nut skipped on the treads of the bolt. I'll try two bolts. Ive tried every other thing i can think of.

OP
OP
dudelikestrucks

dudelikestrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, So tried the screw assist. bent the screws, I'll buy bigger ones, tried heat also but with only map gas would take an hour to get it hot its a big rotor. Ive been spraying it a lot with PB also. This morning before I go get new bolts I'm going to beat the hell out of it some more. So wierd its like something (other then rust) is holding it on) Very frustrating. Burn2k12Ram suggested something with a pipe wrench... not realy understanding how that would work.

Thanks

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll try and find a video. Is a great way at getting those really stuck wheel hubs off. I’ll try and find a video.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually I think the pipe wrench attaching to top of rotor only works if you are trying to get entire rotor and hub assembly off. So that method not the best for here. Here is a video. You can see his method #4 he used a puller. Use a large one. Read his notes on using a puller but that seems like would work if all else fails.

You should be able to rent the puller from your local parts store.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok, So tried the screw assist. bent the screws, I'll buy bigger ones, tried heat also but with only map gas would take an hour to get it hot its a big rotor. Ive been spraying it a lot with PB also. This morning before I go get new bolts I'm going to beat the hell out of it some more. So wierd its like something (other then rust) is holding it on) Very frustrating. Burn2k12Ram suggested something with a pipe wrench... not realy understanding how that would work.

Thanks
Once you get bigger bolts (grade 8 if you can find them) and you crank a bunch of pressure onto the rotor,use your map gas torch to heat the rotor around the hub,once it's warmed up,spray the hub centric with your PB Blaster,then swat the hell out of the rotor with a big hammer and drift/big punch right around the hub.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
if you have access to air tools a zip gun (air impact hammer) is a miracle worker in this situation. use it to hit everwhere that has been said (top and bottom of disc, around the studs, from behind the disc forcing it outwards and off. wear safety glasses!

OP
OP
dudelikestrucks

dudelikestrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so its off, Hate it when someone posts something and never follows up as far as the results. I used much bigger bolts this time, tighted then three different times in three different locations and it broke free. Super corroded. Really appreciate all the help and support. I never come on here so I am very gratefull at all the responses. Now to the drivers side lol. thumbnail (12).jpgthumbnail (13).jpgthumbnail (14).jpgthumbnail (15).jpg

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great work. Hopefully the other side isn’t as bad. And looks like @Wild one method worked out. Good stuff now I know what to do if it’s ever as bad. Worst I had to ever do was on my 2002 Ram was a sledge hammer on back of rotor

Last edited:
OP
OP
dudelikestrucks

dudelikestrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, So as i posted yesterday I got the rotor off and completed the job on both sides. Took it for a short drive around the neighborhood and it was good. This morning I was driving it to work evertyhing was good with the brakes until about the third time I had to use them and its pulsing again when I apply the brakes. This happens several times then the last 2 or 3 times brakig at lower speed no pulsing.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Glad you got it off. I have also had this problem and when I do I just remove the caliper and bracket. Then spin the rotor beating the stuffing out of it while it is turning. It works plus it works a little of each area while spinning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye