Front Wheel Hub Bearing replacement in the Rust Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A few weeks ago I noticed my left front wheel bearing was getting noisy. My truck is a 2013 with 75k on it so it's to be expected.

I watched some YouTube videos on how to do it and it looked fairly simple, remove the 3 bolts holding it on and it should come right out. That may be true in some areas, but in an area where they throw salt on the roads when there's 3 flurries in the air coupled with living on the coast means the hubs corrode themselves to the aluminum steering knuckle.

After trying various different sledge hammers, chisels, pry bars, an air hammer with various attachments, and some choice words, neither hub bearing would budge. I literally could have driven around with all 3 bolts removed and they probably wouldn't have come off. At that point I didn't want to make the truck undrivable, so I put everything back together and talked to my mechanic about it the next day.

Originally I was going to surrender and just let him take care of it. Instead he let me borrow a Snap On DHP1 which is specifically designed to utilize the power steering in Rams to help break the hub bearing free. I was skeptical that it could work but my only other options were spending close to $600 on new steering knuckles or paying him to do it.

20210815_175837.jpg
20210815_172214.jpg

So how you use it is you back the bolts of of hub bearing out about 1/4", put the indented Hex part of the tool on one of the bolts(I chose one of the bottom 2) and position the other end against something solid like the lower part of the strut mount. This will require another person (big thanks to my father for helping with this) to hold the tool in position while you turn the steering wheel in the direction that will put outward pressure on the bolt. For example, if you're doing the drivers side hub bearing and you choose the lower front bolt, you will need to turn the wheel to the right until the tool comes in contact with the lower strut mount. Then turn the truck on and GENTLY turn the steering wheel further in that direction. Let the power steering do the work and you will hear a clunk. That's the corrosion bond breaking and the hub being pushed out. Then move the tool to the other bottom bolt and turn the wheel in the opposite direction. You may need a larger socket or piece of metal to take up some room between the end of the tool and the strut mount and repeat the process until you hear another clunk which is the other side of the hub flange breaking free of the knuckle. Then use some chisels and pry bars to finish removing the hub.

The corrosion I found on each side inside the knuckle where the hub sits was simply astonishing. It essentially welded itself to the knuckle.

Then you will have to spend some time grinding the corrosion off the knuckle mating surface being careful not to remove too much aluminum. You only want to remove the corrosion. GENEROUSLY apply your antiseize of choice to the mating surfaces and put your new hub bearing in. I took the extra step and applied Fluid Film to the new hub bearing flange to help prevent it from rusting and also making it possible to actually remove the wheel speed sensor if I ever need to.

20210815_120541.jpg20210815_120538.jpg20210815_120504.jpg20210815_120518.jpg20210815_120543.jpg20210814_092510.jpg20210814_092506.jpg20210814_092514.jpg20210815_120915.jpg20210815_120910.jpg20210815_120903.jpg

I wish I had got some pics of the actual process on how to use the tool but I was in a time crunch. Hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited:

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just went through the same thing a month or two back. Essentially did the same thing you had to, but didn't have that proper socket so just pieced together sockets and various extensions. Seemed a bit sketchy, especially doing it alone, but eventually did the trick. It's crazy the impact salt has, even when you try to Fluid Film every nook and cranny.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Another amazing write-up Corey, I hope I never need to do it, but if I do now I know how to get a welded hub off with that tool. What is the best anti seize to use on aluminum to make sure next time you wont have too.

Should maybe people with new trucks in salt belt do this just to put anti seize? Would that prevent the welding and you wont even need to use that tool if it isnt welded.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just went through the same thing a month or two back. Essentially did the same thing you had to, but didn't have that proper socket so just pieced together sockets and various extensions. Seemed a bit sketchy, especially doing it alone, but eventually did the trick. It's crazy the impact salt has, even when you try to Fluid Film every nook and cranny.
I know I was shocked at how bad it was corroded together. I wash my truck religiously in the winter as well as apply Fluid Film every fall. It literally pulled some of the knuckle with it, you can see it in the corner of the hub. Crazy....

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another amazing write-up Corey, I hope I never need to do it, but if I do now I know how to get a welded hub off with that tool. What is the best anti seize to use on aluminum to make sure next time you wont have too.

Should maybe people with new trucks in salt belt do this just to put anti seize? Would that prevent the welding and you wont even need to use that tool if it isnt welded.

Yeah thats definitely a good idea, as soon and you buy a new truck pull the front end apart and antiseize the hub/knuckle.

Honestly it's not a bad idea to do that with other front end components as well as the rear suspension components. I had previously put some antisieze on the upper ball joint to knuckle mating surface and the tie rod end to knuckle mating surface a few years ago when I put the 5100s on. Both of those literally fell apart when I took the nut off.

My wife's 2020 Grand Cherokee had a similar setup in the front so I may tear that apart and antiseize everything....

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
It's bearing time for me too.What brand bearing did you go with?

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's bearing time for me too.What brand bearing did you go with?
I went with Timkens, always had good luck with those in the past. Plus I believe they are the supplier for the Mopar ones....

Last edited:

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I was leaning towards timken after doing a little homework.A little pricey but I can only assume it's a much better bearing than say a WJB for half the price.I also like that they are made in the U.S.A, if that is indeed true.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was leaning towards timken after doing a little homework.A little pricey but I can only assume it's a much better bearing than say a WJB for half the price.I also like that they are made in the U.S.A, if that is indeed true.
Yeah you can't really go wrong with Timken bearings.

Mevotech makes a HD version now for about the same price as the Mopar units. Not sure what exactly makes them "HD" tho...

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Well,I rec. my TIMKEN bearing today from rock auto.Very dissapointed to see that it's made in S. KOREA.The picture on the site clearly had "MADE IN U.S.A" stamped in it.Also the flange with the wheel studs in it is thinner than the wjb i put in a few wks. ago.So,$63.00 WJB installed on dr. sd. and $114.00 TIMKEN installed on pass. sd. a few wks. later.Are timken bearings worth almost twice as much money?Time will tell.I will be checking my bearings from time to time and I will post when one of them starts to fail.Also,rock auto should really change that picture.The main reason I went with timken at almost twice the price was because it was made in U.S.A as I'm sure others have as well,but I guess that's how the make $. BULL S@!T

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I have stopped doing most of my own work as I have purchased the extended warrentties on my last 2 trucks,
but before that when I was doing all my own work I used nickle anti sieze on most everything.
It almost seemed like if you touched anything you had anti sieze on you :)
Now about all I do is brakes and tire swaps summer to winter and back so I still use quite a bit.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well,I rec. my TIMKEN bearing today from rock auto.Very dissapointed to see that it's made in S. KOREA.The picture on the site clearly had "MADE IN U.S.A" stamped in it.Also the flange with the wheel studs in it is thinner than the wjb i put in a few wks. ago.So,$63.00 WJB installed on dr. sd. and $114.00 TIMKEN installed on pass. sd. a few wks. later.Are timken bearings worth almost twice as much money?Time will tell.I will be checking my bearings from time to time and I will post when one of them starts to fail.Also,rock auto should really change that picture.The main reason I went with timken at almost twice the price was because it was made in U.S.A as I'm sure others have as well,but I guess that's how the make $. BULL S@!T

Yeah mine said "made in S Korea" as well. Still better than China IMO...

Interesting, how did the wheel flange compare to the OEM ones you took off? Mine were identical to the OEMs...

And yes I would say the Timkens are worth double the price because its more than likely the bearing inside as well as the seals/grease used is superior to the cheaper aftermarket hub units...

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
The flange was 1/2 as thick with it left thicker just around the studs.It was part #HA500100

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Just checked quick with a digital caliper.Old flange is .40, new flange (timken) is .23 with it being .47 around the studs.My truck is a 2004.What yr. is your truck and what part # on the timken?Also the flange on the wjb I put in was like the old flange,.40 all the way around.I do realize this thread is 4th gen diy and I have a 3rd gen but I don't know why the flange would be thinner than the wjb I put in or even on your newer truck which is most likely the same bearing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is a 2013 and the PN for the Timken bearing is HA590515 so they changed something between 2004 and 2013...

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
All other measurements ck. out.I hope it will be alright as lately I believe I've met my quota for bulls**t for the next ten yrs. or so.The part # is correct,it's even referenced on my wjb box.I just hope that is the part that was put in the box. It would be cool If somebody that has ordered the HA 500100 would chime in .Or anyone that rec. a bearing with a thinner flange could explain why.My only guess would be that the bearing I rec. was recently produced and this is the way they are making them now.Pay more get less like every thing else today.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
SKF hub unit is a better choice IMO, but people have their brand loyalty or get whatever works. I saw a wheel hub removal tool that is supposed to break any hub loose, no matter how badly seized. https://atdtools.com/8629 Haven't used this, but reviews appear positive, but then again everything nowadays is staged.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SKF hub unit is a better choice IMO, but people have their brand loyalty or get whatever works. I saw a wheel hub removal tool that is supposed to break any hub loose, no matter how badly seized. https://atdtools.com/8629 Haven't used this, but reviews appear positive, but then again everything nowadays is staged.
I've never used a SKF part before, they're good quality?

I looked at some of those type of tools that attach to the wheel flange. Some are like a harmonic balancer puller and some are like that. The only issue I've seen with those type is you can separate the bearing/wheel flange from the race part of the hub which is the part thats seized. Probably won't happen unless the bearing is really bad tho....

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never used a SKF part before, they're good quality?

I looked at some of those type of tools that attach to the wheel flange. Some are like a harmonic balancer puller and some are like that. The only issue I've seen with those type is you can separate the bearing/wheel flange from the race part of the hub which is the part thats seized. Probably won't happen unless the bearing is really bad tho....
SKF is what I went with, after doing some research and reading about the inconsistencies of where the Timken are made (or if it'd even be genuine Timken in the box), as least when ordering from Rock Auto. I'm sure they're both sufficient though.