Front Wheel Hub Bearing replacement in the Rust Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've never used a SKF part before, they're good quality?

I looked at some of those type of tools that attach to the wheel flange. Some are like a harmonic balancer puller and some are like that. The only issue I've seen with those type is you can separate the bearing/wheel flange from the race part of the hub which is the part thats seized. Probably won't happen unless the bearing is really bad tho....
SKF is allegedly OEM. I keep most components as close to OE as possible, and believe it not, the steering components on the 4th GENs and later are pretty good for OE. Crap shoot on where made as all pretty much outsources. The key though is the QA/QC, even if made in the PRC. I would also squirt as much high quality wheel bearing grease (Redline) into the ABS sensor hole as possible before buttoning it up, and while I can't defend doing it, anecdotally others swear by it and and report extended service life of bearing unit.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I live in Alberta so salt and rust are a common thing. I recently had to replace my front wheel bearing i used the skf from Amazon they were half the price of Napa for the same part. The job was easy with no problems. Did the front brakes on the kids truck and had to use the winch and trees with a snatch block to get the wheels off. Aluminum on steel hubs. Should have seen him jump when it let go

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Rear shocks are fun the bottom bolts aren’t a big deal but getting the nut off of the shaft is not going to happen. There’s a spot on top of the shaft to put a small Allen key in but it will just strip out. So sawzall to the rescue

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I live in Alberta so salt and rust are a common thing. I recently had to replace my front wheel bearing i used the skf from Amazon they were half the price of Napa for the same part. The job was easy with no problems. Did the front brakes on the kids truck and had to use the winch and trees with a snatch block to get the wheels off. Aluminum on steel hubs. Should have seen him jump when it let go
Anything cheap off Amazon scares me.Alot of stuff on Amazon is a cheap knock-off,and isn't actually what you think it is.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The thing I don’t like about Amazon is when you order your parts it’s kinda like hit or miss. I ordered some head lights from a company called vland that was on Amazon one of them was defective and they gave a little static when I asked for a replacement but when I showed them a video of me pouring water out of it they sent a replacement right away. It was a small spot where the silicone missed the mark. I like the light and the issue with the silicone is just one of those things that happens in mass manufacturing.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I was somewhat dubious about buying the wheel bearings off Amazon but I compared the part number and they were the same so I bought them and they were all good

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
To me the biggest drawback of ordering from Amazon is that you have to wait for the order. Then if it’s not right you’re boogered. Or if you need the part right now. It’s good for ordering stuff that you need that you can buy ahead of time. I get my motor oil from them because you can’t find it anywhere else. Pennzoil 0-40 for a pw. Then when it’s time for a oil change I have the oil handy

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks Brodozer!!!

Part ordered! I like your anti-seize….somehow we got the same stuff LOL

Last edited: