Front wheels binding then a bang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 03 ram 2500, stock height (for now). My problem is the front wheels are sometimes binding, similar to turning in 4wd on dry pavement (yes I know not to do that). So, they bind up, then a loud bang releasing the tension. Then it's ok until the next time it does it. I think it happens more often turning left, but that could be my imagination.

I've replaced the ball joints on both sides, axle u joints on both sides, and wheel bearing assembly on both sides. I'm not sure what else could be making this happen. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Check the track bar. See if the bolts are tight and make sure the bushings are good. Next check the drag link.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot to mention that I also changed the one tie rod and drag link. The one going to the drivers wheel.

Could the track bar cause the wheels to bind? I didn't realize it could cause that.

Could the front shaft u joint or double cardon cause it?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
The track bar keeps the axle from moving side to side. So if it's loose or the bushings are shot it can make a popping noise.

The u joints wouldn't build pressure and pop over and over, they'd just break.

Do you feel it in the steering wheel when it happens

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel the binding of the wheels. The bang I think is felt more through the floor, but possibly some in the steering wheel. And of course heard outside the truck. I'm usually so worried something is going to break that I haven't paid good enough attention to where I'm feeling it

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It sounds like a track bar issue. Try jacking the front end up off the ground and have someone turn the steering wheel. I might not do it without the weight of the vehicle on the front end. Check the track bar for any play and see if it moves while the wheels are being turned. Then double check all nuts and bolts and make sure everything is tight. Check the wheels/tires for play, possible bad ball joint. Most likely the driver's side if you notice it when turning left.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll try the checking the track bar the next chance I get. I haven't even been driving it to work until I can get this issue fixed.

All 4 ball joints, both axle u joints, and both hub assemblies were replaced a couple weeks ago because I thought that was the problem.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok,I checked the track bar the other day and it seems fine. I couldn't see any movement on either end.

Same thing happened today, but seemed worse. From the sounds and feel, I'm pretty sure the transfer case is shifting into 4wd on it's own. Is there a way to manually override the t case do it can't shift to 4wd? Or will pulling the front shaft stop it from hurting anything when it does shift on it's own? Just trying to make it driveable until I can get it looked at, out figure out the problem.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Do you have floor or knob 4WD selector? Do you see the 4WD light flash or come on at all on the dash?

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Floor shifter. And no 4wd light

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
In that case if you feel like it's locking into 4Hi, but you don't see the light I would suspect that your shift linkage is loose. Try putting the truck N and shifting through 4Hi, 4Lo and 2WD to see if it feels sloppy or if it's a tight lock in and if the light comes on when you feel it lock in.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know that it's "locking" into 4wd, because it does "bang" back out. But I will check that in a few minutes.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, it goes into all the settings. The 4wd light came on in 4 hi and low. It felt tight going into every position.

It wouldn't go all the way into 4 low at first. Was chattering, but it went in after a try or 2 and then every time after.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I'll post a little more about this.

I removed the front drive shaft, which seems fine by the way, and the wheels are no longer binding and no bang. But there is a noise from the transfer case. My best description is it sounds like the piece the front shaft was connected to at the transfer case is making noise. It only does it under load from accelerating. And, if I put it in 4wd, the noise stops.

So, any ideas? I am completely clueless about transfer cases. And probably a lot more that I think I'm not haha.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Ok, I'll post a little more about this.

I removed the front drive shaft, which seems fine by the way, and the wheels are no longer binding and no bang. But there is a noise from the transfer case. My best description is it sounds like the piece the front shaft was connected to at the transfer case is making noise. It only does it under load from accelerating. And, if I put it in 4wd, the noise stops.

So, any ideas? I am completely clueless about transfer cases. And probably a lot more that I think I'm not haha.

Okay, while in 2wd climb under and where the linkage connects to the t-case see if that bracket going into the case moves. It's possible that linkage needs adjustment because it's not letting it fully engage into 2wd.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll check that tomorrow after work when it's daylight, and hopefully done raining.

Thanks for all the responses by the way.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The linkage doesn't move. I can wiggle it maybe 1/16" back and forth, but that's it. The linkage bar and bushings seem fine also.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have manual locking hubs then ignore my post OK.
Sounds to me more like your front axle is the problem.Does this happen after you use 4wd?I'm not sure how your front axle is engaged(sorry,used to the GM set-up) after selecting 4wd (vacuum or electric actuator)but it sounds like it's staying engaged until you hear the bang.The front wheels are trying to turn at a different speed in a full turn and it binds up.Sounds to me like it's finally disengaging for whatever reason and that's when you hear the bang.

BTW If you had auto-locking hubs it could still be afront axle issue.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn't happen after using 4wd, it does it all the time. It definitely seems like it's going into 4wd but not after using 4wd, but whenever it feels like it, which is pretty often now. I don't know what engages the front axle to even check it.

But with the front drive shaft now off, it doesn't do it at all. Just a noise from the transfer case area (can't see while driving) under load. With the transfer case in 4hi, the noise goes away.