Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ram Forum :

Front wheels binding then a bang

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by jethro 03, Nov 15, 2015.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. jethro 03

jethro 03 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have an 03 ram 2500, stock height (for now). My problem is the front wheels are sometimes binding, similar to turning in 4wd on dry pavement (yes I know not to do that). So, they bind up, then a loud bang releasing the tension. Then it's ok until the next time it does it. I think it happens more often turning left, but that could be my imagination.

I've replaced the ball joints on both sides, axle u joints on both sides, and wheel bearing assembly on both sides. I'm not sure what else could be making this happen. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

2. 1500ram12

1500ram12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    Check the track bar. See if the bolts are tight and make sure the bushings are good. Next check the drag link.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. jethro 03

jethro 03 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Forgot to mention that I also changed the one tie rod and drag link. The one going to the drivers wheel.

Could the track bar cause the wheels to bind? I didn't realize it could cause that.

Could the front shaft u joint or double cardon cause it?

4. 1500ram12

1500ram12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    The track bar keeps the axle from moving side to side. So if it's loose or the bushings are shot it can make a popping noise.

The u joints wouldn't build pressure and pop over and over, they'd just break.

Do you feel it in the steering wheel when it happens

5. jethro 03

jethro 03 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I feel the binding of the wheels. The bang I think is felt more through the floor, but possibly some in the steering wheel. And of course heard outside the truck. I'm usually so worried something is going to break that I haven't paid good enough attention to where I'm feeling it

6. 1500ram12

1500ram12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    It sounds like a track bar issue. Try jacking the front end up off the ground and have someone turn the steering wheel. I might not do it without the weight of the vehicle on the front end. Check the track bar for any play and see if it moves while the wheels are being turned. Then double check all nuts and bolts and make sure everything is tight. Check the wheels/tires for play, possible bad ball joint. Most likely the driver's side if you notice it when turning left.

7. jethro 03

jethro 03 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I'll try the checking the track bar the next chance I get. I haven't even been driving it to work until I can get this issue fixed.

All 4 ball joints, both axle u joints, and both hub assemblies were replaced a couple weeks ago because I thought that was the problem.

8. jethro 03

jethro 03 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Ok,I checked the track bar the other day and it seems fine. I couldn't see any movement on either end.

Same thing happened today, but seemed worse. From the sounds and feel, I'm pretty sure the transfer case is shifting into 4wd on it's own. Is there a way to manually override the t case do it can't shift to 4wd? Or will pulling the front shaft stop it from hurting anything when it does shift on it's own? Just trying to make it driveable until I can get it looked at, out figure out the problem.

9. SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Eco Gasser
    Do you have floor or knob 4WD selector? Do you see the 4WD light flash or come on at all on the dash?

10. jethro 03

jethro 03 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Floor shifter. And no 4wd light