Fuel Additives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I've had my new 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7L since February. In summer months I just hang out in the remote little hamlet in SW Arizona and don't take any trips yet because I have not yet gotten the slide cap over camper I want for it. I don't even go into Phoenix for any reason due to the heat. Sure, I can leave early in the day, but then there's the 100 + mile trip home. This kind of heat can't be all that good for any kind of vehicle.

So, this brings me to why I was looking for a good fuel additive. With what very few miles I drive around the little town, I still keep the tank full, to help keep it the fuel from oxidizing in the heat; keep most of the air out of the tank. And, I have concern over the new Bosch CP4.2 fuel pump and want to get as much lubrication to it as possible. My Ram Cummins diesel mechanic friend recommended Lucas Cetane Power Booster, which also has cleaning agents and added lubricity. I figure he sees these engines all the time and would know the best fuel additive to use, so I trusted his advice. I just today poured a 64 ounce bottle of this Lucas Cetane Power Booster in the tank before I filled up at Chevron. That's 2 ounces per gallon in the 32 gal tank.

I really feel good about having done this. Maybe I am deceiving myself but by the time I pulled in the driveway I could swear I detected a smoother, softer, quieter idle. Anyway, here is a picture of the product should anyone be interested:

11043-cetane-power-booster-group_large_crop_center.jpg

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Lucas is a good preventative maintenance product and it contains lubricity to help the CP4. I think you overdosed a bit. Their web site says:

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
1 Pint/16oz Bottle - Treats up to 60 gallons. Overtreat not harmful.

2 Quarts/64oz Bottle - Treats up to 250 gallons. Overtreat not harmful.

By my count, that's about 1/4 oz per gal or 8oz for your 32 gal tank

You gave it a good enema ;)

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Lucas is a good preventative maintenance product and it contains lubricity to help the CP4. I think you overdosed a bit. Their web site says:

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
1 Pint/16oz Bottle - Treats up to 60 gallons. Overtreat not harmful.

2 Quarts/64oz Bottle - Treats up to 250 gallons. Overtreat not harmful.

By my count, that's about 1/4 oz per gal or 8oz for your 32 gal tank

You gave it a good enema ;)

Although 1/4 ounce per gallon would have some effect, Lucas recommends using 2 - 3 ounces per gallon. They make the stuff and know what it can do. And, again, this Lucas product came recommended by a professional Ram ******'s diesel mechanic/ technician friend, Ed. I went to the very source--those in the know--to discover what works and what doesn't.

Early this morning I drove up to the Circle K, which was only the second little drive I've made with the product in the fuel tank. Again, it ran smoother, softer and quieter than what I had become used to. And this newer high output 6.7 Cummins is already a lot quieter than the previous generation of 6.7s. I can't be just imagining it. Now to see how it improves fuel economy around town, over time. I'll report back on that.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Although 1/4 ounce per gallon would have some effect, Lucas recommends using 2 - 3 ounces per gallon.

I have looked at their web site and on their bottle and I cannot find any reference to using 2 - 3 ounces per gallon. Can you tell me where you get that info? I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm interested in knowing because I'm an additive dealer and like to know these things.

OP
OP
Johnny G Bagwell
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have looked at their web site and on their bottle and I cannot find any reference to using 2 - 3 ounces per gallon. Can you tell me where you get that info? I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm interested in knowing because I'm an additive dealer and like to know these things.
Do you sell the industrial injection additive?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Do you sell the industrial injection additive?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Sorry, I've never sold that brand and don't know much about it.

I used to sell other brands but decided to quit the business so I pared it down to the two most in demand, Archoil and PRI-D & PRI-G additives. When my inventory depletes I'll quit. I never sold Hot Shot's products but I use them. They are very good and priced right.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L

You know, I can not recall where it was I read it. But I do know that it came from a reliable source. I'll have to check with him but it may have been my Ram Cummins tech friend.

I think Lucas has it as a selling point, that it may treat up to 500 (or whatever) gallons of diesel, but that is an infinitesimally small amount. A gallon of fuel is 128 ounces. 2 ounces per 128 ounces is still a very, very small amount. 1 part per 64.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
You know, I can not recall where it was I read it. But I do know that it came from a reliable source. I'll have to check with him but it may have been my Ram Cummins tech friend.

I think Lucas has it as a selling point, that it may treat up to 500 (or whatever) gallons of diesel, but that is an infinitesimally small amount. A gallon of fuel is 128 ounces. 2 ounces per 128 ounces is still a very, very small amount. 1 part per 64.

Thanks.

By the way, all fuel additives are highly concentrated. You'll find they all use "a very, very small amount' per gallon. For example, Diesel Power Plus is 1 oz per 32 gallons For Lucas or any of the others, it is not "a selling point". It's a fact of how much you need to use to achieve its purpose. XDP

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L

Thanks.

By the way, all fuel additives are highly concentrated. You'll find they all use "a very, very small amount' per gallon. For example, Diesel Power Plus is 1 oz per 32 gallons For Lucas or any of the others, it is not "a selling point". It's a fact of how much you need to use to achieve its purpose. XDP

I think I found where I had read recommended use of more than that. It was in a review of the product on Amazon.....

"This stuff works amazing and this is the recommended mix ratio per the recommendation of Lucas. This is an exact copy of the response I got when asking the treatment ratios.
(Lucas Oil Products)

'Apr 6, 06:03 MST

Good day, Thanks for your question. We would recommend approximately 3-4 oz of product per gallon of Diesel fuel for the best results. The small 16 oz bottle treats 60 gallons of fuel and the large 64 oz bottle treats 250 gallons of fuel. We appreciate your business have a great day!'" (emphasis, mine)

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
[QUOTE="Goose55,
I think I found where I had read recommended use of more than that. It was in a review of the product on Amazon.....

"This stuff works amazing and this is the recommended mix ratio per the recommendation of Lucas. This is an exact copy of the response I got when asking the treatment ratios.
(Lucas Oil Products)

Good day, Thanks for your question. We would recommend approximately 3-4 oz of product per gallon of Diesel fuel for the best results. The small 16 oz bottle treats 60 gallons of fuel and the large 64 oz bottle treats 250 gallons of fuel. We appreciate your business have a great day!'" (emphasis, mine)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I would have bet a nickel that Lucas would not have said that. But there it is. Usually, an additive company says to double the recommended dosage for "best results". Lucas is saying to go 16 times the recommended.

Thanks for your diligence in finding that info.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
[QUOTE="Goose55,

(Lucas Oil Products)

Good day, Thanks for your question. We would recommend approximately 3-4 oz of product per gallon of Diesel fuel for the best results. The small 16 oz bottle treats 60 gallons of fuel and the large 64 oz bottle treats 250 gallons of fuel. We appreciate your business have a great day!'" (emphasis, mine)

Thanks. I would have bet a nickel that Lucas would not have said that. But there it is. Usually, an additive company says to double the recommended dosage for "best results". Lucas is saying to go 16 times the recommended.

Thanks for your diligence in finding that info.[/QUOTE]

The wording we should look at is the "up to." A 16 ounce bottle will treat "up to" 60 gal of diesel fuel. That is not a recommended amount, but the absolute least amount considered a "treatment." The recommended amount for best results is 3 to 4 ounces per gallon of diesel fuel. I was conservative in using only 2 ounces per gallon.

And I really feel good in having the Lucas Cetane Booster come recommended by a Ram Cummins Diesel technician friend. He would know what works and what doesn't.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
[QUOTE="Goose55,

(Lucas Oil Products)

The wording we should look at is the "up to." A 16 ounce bottle will treat "up to" 60 gal of diesel fuel. That is not a recommended amount, but the absolute least amount considered a "treatment." The recommended amount for best results is 3 to 4 ounces per gallon of diesel fuel. I was conservative in using only 2 ounces per gallon.

And I really feel good in having the Lucas Cetane Booster come recommended by a Ram Cummins Diesel technician friend. He would know what works and what doesn't.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I just returned home after a 3000 mile trip pulling our 8,000+ # toy hauler from Co to WA state and back. I use Power Service Diesel Kleen every fill up but on the return trip I ran low on the additive and a couple partial fills in succession I didn't add the PS and after the second fill up without it my fuel mileage dropped nearly 2 mpg. When I filled up again I put the last dose of PS in and immediately my fuel mileage started coming back up. I am a firm believer in Diesel Kleen and will take more with me the next trip, as I buy it by the case because it is cheaper. I didn't notice the truck running any different without the treatment but the mileage told another story.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have been using Optilube XPD for about 6 months. I had been using DieselKleen. In tests XPD performed 5x better than DieselKleen in the wear scar test. Only soy based biodiesle performed better. It might have been my imagination but the engine felt smoother and the noise at idle was 3db lower than with DieselKleen.

There is a school of thought that the newer CP4 pump failures are in part caused by poor fuel lubricity of the ULSD fuel. Improving lubricity might help the newer CP4 pump last longer.

TheMill13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t own a diesel yet. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I have had apprehension of fuel gelling during our cold winters. I was told by a truck driver that I should fill up where big rigs do and I shouldn’t have any problems. Do others do this or do you use a fuel additive to fight gelling of fuel in cold weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Johnny G Bagwell
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t own a diesel yet. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I have had apprehension of fuel gelling during our cold winters. I was told by a truck driver that I should fill up where big rigs do and I shouldn’t have any problems. Do others do this or do you use a fuel additive to fight gelling of fuel in cold weather?

Well for diesel, in winter time they add stuff to the fuel to prevent it from getting but I always added my own to each tank when I fill up as added precaution because I like to waste money.

2020 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Ezlynk tuner by Duramaxtuner.com

BubbaJo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

this is a good thought process due to the large volumes used by big rigs will ensure the diesel is always good/fresh and hasn't been sitting in the tanks underground for long. However, to help ensure gelling wont happen (i'm a troll), i would still use an additive. if anything, it's a couple bucks a tank for piece of mind. It's what i am planning on doing :)