Fuel Pump TIPM Homebrew Bypass Amidoinitrite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CupidStunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 Triton V-6
Just picked up a brand new 95 ram 1500 pickup with the 3.9l V6.
Got it for a song but it doesn't run.

I checked the Schrader Valve on the half a carb thingie and nada. So I'm thinking fuel filter.

Fuel filter is integrated with the fuel pump. So I'm thinking fuel pump issues.
I checked the 20amp fuse - Just fine
I checked the relay - Also fine
I pulled the power connector from the pump and checked the pump voltage with the proper ground - 7.6v
So I went back to the TIPM and pulled the relay to dig deeper. When the key is @ run I have 12v on 86 and 85, hot on both sides of the coil?!
Checked power from fuse to relay, 12v when the fuse is in, but instead of just off when I pull the fuse it drains slowly like there's a capacitor in the line, or an unexpected short that has capacitance capabilities.

To bypass a problematic source, I jumped the battery hot straight to 30 on the relay and 85 straight to the battery ground. This left 86 jumped to the TIPM hot (Stable 12v on key) and 87 jumped to the down leg port in the TIMP where it would normally be connected.
Went back to fuel pump harness and I'm still reading 7.6v.

So few questions:
1) On this particular truck is there anything down the electrical rabbit hole that affects the power to the pump, that is anything in the line past the relay?

2) Does this fuel pump run 100% of the time the engine is running or does a sensor shut it off occasionally? (kinda relates to question 1)

3) Can I bypass all that and run a hot from the battery, through a 20amp fuse in it's own holder, to pin 30 on an external relay, then run from the relay's 87 down a fresh wire to the pump hot and run a new pump ground straight from the battery negative?
Screenshot-278.png

4) Am I way overdoing it, Did I miss something obvious to other Dodge owners?

5) I got a new pump as well, because why not?
2MX7ckd.jpg