Fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyd76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks in advance for any responses- I have a 2009 ram 1500 sit with hemi, 170k, recent starter, battery, and crank position sensor. It has randomly stopped running when I was at a complete stop or moving slowly, which I thought was caused by the battery connection. Last time it happened was 4 days ago. Yesterday i wnet out to start, and just a click. Moved the negative terminal and then it started right up. Let it run for a few minutes, tben after driving a few miles, it felt bogged down when I gave it gas. It felt like my cj7 with a bad carb. Got off the highway and into a commuter lot, and shut it off. When I tried to start it, it cranks, but won't turn. I also don't hear the fuel pump hum when I turn the key. I tried banging the fuel tank, no change. No codes on the scan tool either. Fuse for fuel pump is fine. Would it be a safe guess to say it's the pump?

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it's the pump by your description. A pump would not give you the click click before jiggling the battery connection. I'm not sure what it would be, but the fuel pump isn't at the top of my list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tonyd76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think it's the pump by our description. A pump would not give you the click click before jiggling the battery connection. I'm not sure what it would be, but the fuel pump isn't at the top of my list.
That happened separately, truck started after that. Now it cranks and won't turn over.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Spray starting fluid into the air intake tube while someone turns the key. If it trys to start or you can keep it running spraying it then its not getting fuel. The lack of fuel could be the pump or several other things. Borrow/rent a fuel pressure gauge and watch some YouTube videos on how to do it. No pressure, no pump. Then you have to figure out why its not running.

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
Thanks for letting us know what the problem turned out to be. Too often on forums people ask for advice or describe a problem then disappear - you never hear what fixed the problem. So thank you.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree, thanks for getting back to us.

3M-TA3

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 & 2015
Engine
V10 & 5.7L Hemi
An easy way to access the pump is to remove the bolts holding the bed on the driver's side, then remove the passenger side bolts halfway. Pull the driver's side tail light and pull the wires so they hang loose. Pull the gas filler screws then you can lift from the driver's side and prop up with a board. Now you have full access to the pump and it's easier to reseat the bed when you are done.

I had to drop the tank in my 97 because it's set up for a fifth wheel and there is a reinforcing bolt under the gas tank. Way harder and trickier because it's really hard to disconnect the electrical and fuel line with the bed on.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How did the gas tank straps look ? Some have rusted out .

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI
I heard a while back there was a fuel pump recall. Don't know the details, but it wasn't for my 2500.

OP
OP
T

Tonyd76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An easy way to access the pump is to remove the bolts holding the bed on the driver's side, then remove the passenger side bolts halfway. Pull the driver's side tail light and pull the wires so they hang loose. Pull the gas filler screws then you can lift from the driver's side and prop up with a board. Now you have full access to the pump and it's easier to reseat the bed when you are done.

I had to drop the tank in my 97 because it's set up for a fifth wheel and there is a reinforcing bolt under the gas tank. Way harder and trickier because it's really hard to disconnect the electrical and fuel line with the bed on.
I tried that, didn't get enough clearance so I went completely off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith