Fuel tank replacement by dealer (sorry for the long post.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
No way in the world, is that tank at any risk of leaking/splitting/breaking/etc, due to those scratches. I would not spend one more ounce of energy worrying about it. I certainly wouldn't write off FCA due to that dealer. You will find similar stories or much worse from dealers of most vehicle manufacturers.

I take care of my stuff. It's not unreasonable to expect the dealership to have some level of respect for my stuff as well.

I suspect they'd be upset if I crawled under trucks in their lot and scratched the *** out of the fuel tanks.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
While it’s true the tank is not compromised nor at risk of failure, this brings up a few glaring quality control and give a **** issues with the shop’s foreman and technician. Simply shrugging it off and moving on speaks volumes and makes you wonder what other corners they’re cutting.

In the end, if the OP is fine with it, I’m fine with it.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
While it’s true the tank is not compromised nor at risk of failure, this brings up a few glaring quality control and give a **** issues with the shop’s foreman and technician. Simply shrugging it off and moving on speaks volumes and makes you wonder what other corners they’re cutting.

In the end, if the OP is fine with it, I’m fine with it.

Agreed if he's okay with it that's fine by me, but I think he should post who the dealer is so other people can avoid it if they like good work and non-damaged parts put on their vehicles.

When the mechanic shows that much disregard for his job and the customer, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that dealership. That attitude comes down from the top.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The marks in the tank aren’t anything more than superficial. There’s 2 parts to the tank. There’s a black outside liner and then a white liner on the inside as well. The layers are also fairly thick as well. The tank isn’t compromised by any means.

That being said I’d still want a new tank, and wouldn’t be happy with all the marks on it. Now is the time for OP to contact RamCares as well as corporate FCA.
From what I can tell that surface is steel not plastic. If so I would be concerned with those deep scratches rusting especially in Massachusetts with road salt. They should have at least sanded the rough edges off and sprayed it with a couple coats of rustoleum.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
From what I can tell that surface is steel not plastic. If so I would be concerned with those deep scratches rusting especially in Massachusetts with road salt. They should have at least sanded the rough edges off and sprayed it with a couple coats of rustoleum.

They’re not steel or any type of metal, I can assure you of that. They have been been using plastic tanks for quite a few years now.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally still don't think the tank is new and no one could convince me otherwise. Isn't it funny how the Tech just happened to damage it exactly were it would be damaged had the tank been damaged had it been installed in a truck that bottomed out. If you look at the tank closely it's obvious it wasn't damaged by a Tech dragging it across a smooth floor or even a rough concrete floor. It just doesn't weigh enough to have that type of damage. As others have said if the OP is ok with it then it's up to him. I personally would insist on a new tank and would get FCA involved if nessisary.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I personally still don't think the tank is new and no one could convince me otherwise. Isn't it funny how the Tech just happened to damage it exactly were it would be damaged had the tank been damaged had it been installed in a truck that bottomed out. If you look at the tank closely it's obvious it wasn't damaged by a Tech dragging it across a smooth floor or even a rough concrete floor. It just doesn't weigh enough to have that type of damage. As others have said if the OP is ok with it then it's up to him. I personally would insist on a new tank and would get FCA involved if nessisary.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree. Looks like numerous scrapes caused at different times that caused the gouges. The kind you'd get offroad.

Not from just dragging it, which frankly I don't think would cause that much damage, even across asphalt. It is pretty hard, durable plastic. I'd only expect some minor scuffs from dragging it. BTW I don't think the tank is that heavy. Could probably easily be carried by one person.

Maybe see if the mechanic has a beat-up 4x4 with a new tank in it :cool:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I agree. Looks like numerous scrapes caused at different times that caused the gouges. The kind you'd get offroad.

Not from just dragging it, which frankly I don't think would cause that much damage, even across asphalt. It is pretty hard, durable plastic. I'd only expect some minor scuffs from dragging it. BTW I don't think the tank is that heavy. Could probably easily be carried by one person.

Maybe see if the mechanic has a beat-up 4x4 with a new tank in it :cool:

When empty they’re extremely light, you can pick them up with one hand.

Personally I still think it was probably damaged during shipping. Could have had who knows what stacked on top of it and maybe wasn’t properly secured and kept sliding around. It almost looks like wood fibres in the tank like it was on a pallet or wood floor of a delivery truck.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
When empty they’re extremely light, you can pick them up with one hand.

Personally I still think it was probably damaged during shipping. Could have had who knows what stacked on top of it and maybe wasn’t properly secured and kept sliding around. It almost looks like wood fibres in the tank like it was on a pallet or wood floor of a delivery truck.

You're a tech, right? If you were given that tank, would you install it? I install folks built-in kitchen appliances. If I open one up and it's been dropped or otherwise damaged, I tell them, take it back to the store and they order another one. Or if it's minor damage, they may decide to call the store and get a discount for keeping it.

But it really looks like offroad damage to me. Those must be transported in some kind of protective wrap or a box. Can't imagine wood causing those gouges in that polymer. It's harder than the wood used in pallets or truck beds.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plain and simple guys, allot of opinions here that Tech took that brand new tank and put it on his own truck or a Buddy's truck that has been 4 wheeling and caused all of those scratches and maybe a bad fuel pump, took it out and the dealer tech says I got a brand new tank here, screw this guy replace the fuel pump and put this **** tank in his truck these tanks have part numbers or lot numbers check these numbers against what part number thats in there, press that SM that you are checking into this, and I would demand to look at the Tech truck.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They’re not steel or any type of metal, I can assure you of that. They have been been using plastic tanks for quite a few years now.
My assumption was by laying on the ground & knocking on it. Sounded more like metal than plastic but I'll take your word for it. Was the bottom I was knocking on in my Ram a metal shield then or is that exposed plastic?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in MA too, wonder if that's my dealer[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My assumption was by laying on the ground & knocking on it. Sounded more like metal than plastic but I'll take your word for it. Was the bottom I was knocking on in my Ram a metal shield then or is that exposed plastic?
You may have a gas tank skid plate you were knocking on.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm trying to figure out a motive for installing a used tank. FCA pays for warranty parts and a flat labor fee. They even scammed FCA for a fuel pump....

I am with the not new tank camp. To drag it flat across the floor means bending over or attaching a rope or something to it. Way too much work for a "lazy tech". When dragging something oblong. People usually lift one of the narrow ends and drag the opposite end which should put the scratches on the rear bottom corner. The depth and location of the scratches just don't fit dragging it across the floor.

PS. When I zoom in, it looks like gravel embedded in some of the deeper scratches. Hopefully the dealer doesn't have a gravel floor in their parts department or shop. Automotive dismantling and recycling facilities usually have grave in their lots.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Every manufacturer has ba dealers or service folks.

I would speak with the general manager. Remember ”Service Managers” are just asked people who check you vehicle in and out.

I've had issues with a dealer service department before. One time, it resulted in the immediate termination of the ”Service Manager”. Of course, in that case, the GM was also the son of the owner of the dealership.

Oh boy, this thread really took off. Here's the outcome;
Went to the dealer, put truck up on the lift with the service manager and the tech. Showed the SM the gouges. He asked the tech what happened. Tech said he dragged the tank across the floor. I responded with "where did you drag it from, across the parking lot"? He shrugged his shoulders.
SM showed me the tank and the sticker which appeared new and clean. He also found something unplugged and asked the tech "whats up with that" Again the tech shrugged his shoulders. Anyways SM assured me the tank was new and its under warranty for 2 years 24000 miles. I expressed my displeasure with the damaged tank because of how much I paid for this truck and I'm OCD. My original tank didn't look like that and I was expecting the same or better.
This might be my last FCA vehicle. The whole experience just doesn't sit well with me. Only reason I use this dealer is it's 5 minutes from my house. They've blown 4 deals because they offered me wholesale for my trade ins. Sorry not this guy, I know how it works.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Just the exposed plastic.

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey JLEONARD! What was the response from the Service Manager on the tank? You have a legitimate complaint and it shouldn’t be ignored.

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 4x4 Bighorn did not come with ANY SKID PLATES !!! That’s why I looked up all 3 Mopar skid plates and ordered them & had them installed !!!
Unbelievable how FCA would install plastic fuel tanks, aluminum transfer cases and steering components with no protection STANDARD especially on a 4x4 !!!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you read the wording in any vehicle's owner's manual or warranty booklet, for warranty work, replacement parts don't necessarily need to be new. They can be refurbished or remanufactured. Could this dealer prove this gouged up tank fits that criteria? I dunno.

I still hate this situation and wouldn't be happy about it, but some of the "I would demand this or that" suggestions above just aren't going to fly legally.