Fuel tank replacement by dealer (sorry for the long post.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
To cover up the fact that their tech broke the fuel pump and didn't want to eat the cost. Probably cheaper to RIP one out of a junk yard pump and all attached. Unfortunately I'm the guy that gets under my vehicle to check the work.
I think you may be right-now I am also thinking he got an old fuel pump attached to his old "NEW" tank. I would demand answers-I wish I could go with you!!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can find a sticker on the tank somewhere, it might have a date code on it. Or maybe cast in the plastic - I don't know on a fuel tank.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That tank with those deep gouges looks like it was dragged from a pick and pull junkyard, probably dragged that tank full of gas across the grit and stone in that junk yard probably with a rope to wherever it was picked up, are these tanks the same from say several years back, talk about a crooked corrupt dealership, they should go in front of a judge, and the tech should be fired.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Lol some of you guys are getting way to upset. OP hasn’t even talked to the dealer yet and given them a chance to explain or fix the situation, yet you’re demanding someone lose their job and a dealer go to court.

Id be pissed too but there’s way to many variables to know exactly what happened. Put the pitch forks away until their needed.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Build date isn’t there. Sometimes it’s with those part numbers, other times it’s not.

Since it’s not with the part number it should be stamped on the bottom of the tank near the front I believe. Been awhile since I looked at one but it should almost look like a little clock face, or it’ll just have the year or a Julian date. You never know what style they use for the date.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Build date isn’t there. Sometimes it’s with those part numbers, other times it’s not.

Since it’s not with the part number it should be stamped on the bottom of the tank near the front I believe. Been awhile since I looked at one but it should almost look like a little clock face, or it’ll just have the year or a Julian date. You never know what style they use for the date.

Don't see any other stamps at all on the bottom of it.

OP
OP
JLEONARD

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Oh boy, this thread really took off. Here's the outcome;
Went to the dealer, put truck up on the lift with the service manager and the tech. Showed the SM the gouges. He asked the tech what happened. Tech said he dragged the tank across the floor. I responded with "where did you drag it from, across the parking lot"? He shrugged his shoulders.
SM showed me the tank and the sticker which appeared new and clean. He also found something unplugged and asked the tech "whats up with that" Again the tech shrugged his shoulders. Anyways SM assured me the tank was new and its under warranty for 2 years 24000 miles. I expressed my displeasure with the damaged tank because of how much I paid for this truck and I'm OCD. My original tank didn't look like that and I was expecting the same or better.
This might be my last FCA vehicle. The whole experience just doesn't sit well with me. Only reason I use this dealer is it's 5 minutes from my house. They've blown 4 deals because they offered me wholesale for my trade ins. Sorry not this guy, I know how it works.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Oh boy, this thread really took off. Here's the outcome;
Went to the dealer, put truck up on the lift with the service manager and the tech. Showed the SM the gouges. He asked the tech what happened. Tech said he dragged the tank across the floor. I responded with "where did you drag it from, across the parking lot"? He shrugged his shoulders.
SM showed me the tank and the sticker which appeared new and clean. He also found something unplugged and asked the tech "whats up with that" Again the tech shrugged his shoulders. Anyways SM assured me the tank was new and its under warranty for 2 years 24000 miles. I expressed my displeasure with the damaged tank because of how much I paid for this truck and I'm OCD. My original tank didn't look like that and I was expecting the same or better.
This might be my last FCA vehicle. The whole experience just doesn't sit well with me. Only reason I use this dealer is it's 5 minutes from my house. They've blown 4 deals because they offered me wholesale for my trade ins. Sorry not this guy, I know how it works.

So they aren't going to replace it? That's BS. If the dealership management/owner won't make it right I'd be going to Chrysler next. Ridiculous to just shrug it off.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I sure as hell would not accept that. Some of those gouches are so deep they could weaken the tank and it might even split. It's a gas tank. What part of this do they not get? Who is this dealer? I would be on Yelp right now writing a very long review, and calling and emailing FCA with pictures. Let them know that this is being posted on a huge Ram forum and they are going to lose customers. Yeah it's a new tank, but their idiotic "tech" wrecked it. If they installed a cracked windshield would they say "well it's new,, so you're just going to have to live with it"?

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
No way in the world, is that tank at any risk of leaking/splitting/breaking/etc, due to those scratches. I would not spend one more ounce of energy worrying about it. I certainly wouldn't write off FCA due to that dealer. You will find similar stories or much worse from dealers of most vehicle manufacturers.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I sure as hell would not accept that. Some of those gouches are so deep they could weaken the tank and it might even split. It's a gas tank. What part of this do they not get? Who is this dealer? I would be on Yelp right now writing a very long review, and calling and emailing FCA with pictures. Let them know that this is being posted on a huge Ram forum and they are going to lose customers. Yeah it's a new tank, but their idiotic "tech" wrecked it. If they installed a cracked windshield would they say "well it's new,, so you're just going to have to live with it"?

The marks in the tank aren’t anything more than superficial. There’s 2 parts to the tank. There’s a black outside liner and then a white liner on the inside as well. The layers are also fairly thick as well. The tank isn’t compromised by any means.

That being said I’d still want a new tank, and wouldn’t be happy with all the marks on it. Now is the time for OP to contact RamCares as well as corporate FCA.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
No way in the world, is that tank at any risk of leaking/splitting/breaking/etc, due to those scratches. I would not spend one more ounce of energy worrying about it. I certainly wouldn't write off FCA due to that dealer. You will find similar stories or much worse from dealers of most vehicle manufacturers.

This is not acceptable in any way shape or form @RamCares

20200516_081401.jpg