Full Pull

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Last week I rented a Bobcat to move some dirt around my property. That broke a belt so while they were waiting for replacement parts I was given a Kubota instead. They said it weighed about 10k and maybe another 2500 lbs or so for the trailer. My truck is rated to tow 15k as equipped so not quite at the limit, but more then I've pulled prior. So was a bit curious how the truck would do on the return trip, especially considering I had to run up a mountain pass with some pretty steep grades.

Overall the truck did very well on a 30 minute ride. On steeper grades it would run in 2nd gear occasionally kicking down to first. Still I could always keep the posted limit without any drama. I will say that if I towed this much weight often I would absolutely re-gear to something much steeper than 4.10's. And possibly some better brake pads.

Kubota_zps8ra6jutn.jpg

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
That’s an awesome write up.
Can you tell us more about your truck? What trim and how it’s equipped? Do you have a weight distribution hitch WHD?

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I find it much easier to pull 14k worth of equipment over my 7k 35ft travel trailer, much less wind resistance to deal with.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've pulled enclosed trailers and agree, wind resistance (and cross-winds, etc) can play havoc. Still towing this much weight up and down the mountain is really what had me a bit curious/concerned. First time I've seen that much squat on the rear of my truck as well. I don't think even a full load of pavers had that much affect. Perhaps it was loaded a bit too far forward, but I certainly didn't want it too far back.

Not using a weight distribution hitch as it was a rental trailer as well. I do have an all-aluminum car hauler but it's only rated for about 7k. Truck is a Laramie model with the 6.4 Hemi, 4.10's and mods listed in my signature. Truck is also on 35's so that does offset the gearing some vs stock.

I really appreciated the factory tow/haul mode holding gears longer on downhill grades. I don't know if they do any funky business other then holding the gear, but it really works.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You got everything else done.. you might as well re gear bud lol. You know you would be replacing tires a lot more often if you did lol. It’s always nice to see ur truck Viking ..

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good write up...thanks. with the 35" tires your overall effective gear ratio is probably somewhat close to my 3.73s on stock tires. Glad it performed well for you. Up north of 10k for the hemi is asking a lot of it regardless of gear so I appreciate your feedback.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks guys. Regearing is definitely on my short list but first wanted to see what Ram actually does with the HD trucks next year. Seems all but confirmed they will use the ZF 8 speed (finally) but not much info on updates to the 6.4. The thought of an 8 speed 6.4 truck with 4.10's is very tempting.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. Regearing is definitely on my short list but first wanted to see what Ram actually does with the HD trucks next year. Seems all but confirmed they will use the ZF 8 speed (finally) but not much info on updates to the 6.4. The thought of an 8 speed 6.4 truck with 4.10's is very tempting.

Yes. Thats my main complaint with my truck power wagon.... the trans and gearing. After driving around my '17 half ton Ram (work truck) with the 8 speed it almost ****** me off when I get back in my power wagon.

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You have the heaviest part of that Kubota towards the front of the trailer and forward of the two axles. Can you move it back to get that weight off the hitch because it looks like your truck is squatting a bit.

I'm saying all of this because short bed trucks pulling long heavy trailers can lead to tail wagging the dog situation.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree the Kubota was a bit too far forward. Can be really tough to gauge when you're loading it solo. Fortunately I didn't have any issues with trailer sway and was never at highway speeds on my trip.

Almost lost a load once when one of the trailer tires blew and it started to wag. I did finally get it under control and quickly learned to replace trailer tires based on age, not tread wear.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
It’s always nice to see ur truck Viking ..

I 2nd that! He has all the mods we ALL wish we had.

Viking, I think you had that trailer loaded very well. Possibly could have been a foot further back. That is a pet peeve of mine... I hate it when you see guys with their equipment loaded all the way to the front or back. The only thing that gets me worse than that is when they don't have their drop hitch in the right position.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks guys, it's really just some basic bolt on parts. You should see the 86 Mustang, that was a LOT of work:)

Now if Whipple would ever release a kit for the 6.4 we could have some real fun.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks guys, it's really just some basic bolt on parts. You should see the 86 Mustang, that was a LOT of work:)

Now if Whipple would ever release a kit for the 6.4 we could have some real fun.

ProCharger though.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
ProCharger though.

Thought about it. But have you ever heard the "quiet" Procharger at full song? I'm too old to listen to that whine all day long. Even at idle they are quite loud compared to any PD unit. Also doesn't address the real Achilles heal of these motors IMO which is the soft(ish) bottom end. But at least somebody is finally making a blower for these motors and I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who's running it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

About 15 years ago I had a pumped 81 mustang cobra.. I feel ya

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thought about it. But have you ever heard the "quiet" Procharger at full song? I'm too old to listen to that whine all day long. Even at idle they are quite loud compared to any PD unit. Also doesn't address the real Achilles heal of these motors IMO which is the soft(ish) bottom end. But at least somebody is finally making a blower for these motors and I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who's running it.

Agreed, not to mention the PC makes boost at a lot higher RPM than the PD.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi

I'm kind of hoping for the 8 speed and a 7.0 litre!

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Unless Ram has a complete surprise in store they've stated no 7.0 in the HD on several occasions:( But I have heard rumors of a HP bump for the 6.4. Do I think it will happen next year, probably not...