Furl filling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdy4FunCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some help. Looked but cant find my answer so sorry if this has been discussed.

2020 RAM 1500 Classic Warlock 4x4

While pumping gas i can get about a 1/4 gallon pumped before the pump shuts off. If i slightly pull the handel on the pump it will fill the tank but if i try a full pull on the handle it shuts off. If i manipulate the pump to watch the furl glow i can see the fuel tube fill with gas and slowly go down. Took about 35 minutes to fill my tank from empty

Does this sound like an issue with the fuel filler tube or is an issue with the tank itself?

Thank you

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Look at the links right below your post. There are at least 30 related posts in the last 12 months alone. Spelling fuel correctly also helps.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is this a new problem? Did it ever fill normally? My guess it is between the filler opening and the tank. You may be able to drive until it is low on gas, and disconnect the tube from the tank. Verify that the pipe is clear.

If you are still under 36000 miles, it is probably under warranty. Might want to consider letting the dealer have a look.

OP
OP
Rdy4FunCA

Rdy4FunCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this a new problem? Did it ever fill normally? My guess it is between the filler opening and the tank. You may be able to drive until it is low on gas, and disconnect the tube from the tank. Verify that the pipe is clear.

If you are still under 36000 miles, it is probably under warranty. Might want to consider letting the dealer have a look.
Brand new issue just started yesterday. Ive had the truck for 2 years. Thats my next step is to start wrenching on it. Figured id see if anybody had the same issue beforehand.

ive put 62k miles on this truck in 2 years warranty is ling gone. Dealer wants $220 just to look at it

Last edited by a moderator:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Where in So Calf?

I ask, because weather and pressure can affect that.

Think of filling a glass with beer, or a soda. The liquid you are pouring into the glass has to have room in the glass, and it does that by forcing the air which is already in the glass out thereby making room.

If the liquid is trying to fill the glass faster than the air is expelling, you will have spillage….. and not a full glass. Gas pumps try to correct the spillage of fuel by having a cutoff switch incorporated to prevent that and a dangerous situation.

Sometimes they work too well.

For some reason, the air which needs to be forced out of your tank isn’t happening either because of a restriction preventing the air from going out fast enough, the outside temp & pressure are higher than usual (which affects flow rate as well) compared to the flow of fuel going into the tank.

Not necessarily a solution for you, but that’s how it works and hopefully gives you some thoughts and direction. :waytogo:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This is Human caused problem

When someone is fueling up a Ram with gasoline
When the gas stations nozzle kicks off, it usually means that the vehicles tank is within ounces of being full, unless there is an issue with the gas pump.

( i have had the pump shut off way to early & i have to pull the handle again, i leave my door open & the ignition on Accessory, so that i can watch the fuel level )

If your tank is at that position where the nozzle shuts off, don't try to get those last 3 ounces into the tank.

When you do that a few times, you trip the over flow valve, which sets off other safety things
At some point the tanks vent will close & you will have a tuff time filling the tank.

It is YOUR FAULT
now you will pay the price

OP
OP
Rdy4FunCA

Rdy4FunCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where in So Calf?

I ask, because weather and pressure can affect that.

Think of filling a glass with beer, or a soda. The liquid you are pouring into the glass has to have room in the glass, and it does that by forcing the air which is already in the glass out thereby making room.

If the liquid is trying to fill the glass faster than the air is expelling, you will have spillage….. and not a full glass. Gas pumps try to correct the spillage of fuel by having a cutoff switch incorporated to prevent that and a dangerous situation.

Sometimes they work too well.

For some reason, the air which needs to be forced out of your tank isn’t happening either because of a restriction preventing the air from going out fast enough, the outside temp & pressure are higher than usual (which affects flow rate as well) compared to the flow of fuel going into the tank.

Not necessarily a solution for you, but that’s how it works and hopefully gives you some thoughts and direction. :waytogo:
Im in Glendale but the issue started in Lone Pine and has continued back in Glendale.

Ordered a new fuel filler tube and hope that solves the issue if not i will order a new tank. Both parts cost less then what dealer wants to charge me to diagnose

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Let me be clear, your vent is jacked up on the tank. Only option is replacement. May as well make an appointment to drop it off cause that is going to happen eventually. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. New gas tank is the only option.

OP
OP
Rdy4FunCA

Rdy4FunCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me be clear, your vent is jacked up on the tank. Only option is replacement. May as well make an appointment to drop it off cause that is going to happen eventually. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. New gas tank is the only option.
Took it to my friends shop there is something in the filler tube. Ordered new one will be here tomorrow and i will switch them out. Ordered locking gas cap also because not sure how something got in there

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Unfortunately, i have not heard of an alternative to replacing the tank.
Nor have i seen that new device that they are putting in the Gen 5 Ram Fuel Necks

things that i have read, True or False ??

I have not seen or heard of a way to remove the Over Valve/ Vent or if it is the Tip Over Valves.

If you were to look at the highest point on the tank, you will see the Overflow Valve & 2 hoses, one of those hoses go directly to the Charcoal Cannister
When the overflowing gas passes though the Overflow Valve it passes through the hose & enters the Charcoal Cannister, the charcoal soaks it up & breaks down a bit each time that gas interacts with the charcoal.

Some ppl say that you can push the Overflow valve back into the factory position. ??????

Juice17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ram has been doing this for at least a year. I found not letting it get below 1/4 tank and then getting gas I have no problem filling. Below 1/4 and it kicks the pump seems like every 5 cents worth

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Took it to my friends shop there is something in the filler tube. Ordered new one will be here tomorrow and i will switch them out. Ordered locking gas cap also because not sure how something got in there
Well that works, but I bet that tank gets replaced about the time the warranty expires. Hopefully it doesn't, but so many people have to get it replaced. When mine was replaced two months ago asked how common it was. They said old tanks were stacked in the back and the tanks were on their 3rd revision or update. It's been awesome since the replacement and it was done under the extended warranty.

lat1504

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V 10
Could be vapor canister vent valve, if you can disconnect the hose at the vent valve and try filling the tank , if it works replace the valve. Not the one on the tank the one going to the charcoal canister , it has wires connected to it

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine just started this yesterday. I have had the truck for two years and never a problem. I finally gave up at Costco and will try a different gas station on the way home today.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's about time for the switch to winter-blend on the gas. Refiners are allowed to add more butane to increase volatility and reduce light-off time.

Russ

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This happened to me after fuel pump was replaced. Independent mechanic left a tool on top of tank that pinched vent hose.
He refused to drop tank and check, insisted it was the gas cap.
Took it to dealer, they dropped the tank, found the tool which they were thrilled to recieve and charged me $0 for this fix.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Im in Glendale but the issue started in Lone Pine and has continued back in Glendale.

Ordered a new fuel filler tube and hope that solves the issue if not i will order a new tank. Both parts cost less then what dealer wants to charge me to diagnose
Glad you got it figured out, and for relatively cheap too. Hope it solves the whole problem.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is Human caused problem

When someone is fueling up a Ram with gasoline
When the gas stations nozzle kicks off, it usually means that the vehicles tank is within ounces of being full, unless there is an issue with the gas pump.

( i have had the pump shut off way to early & i have to pull the handle again, i leave my door open & the ignition on Accessory, so that i can watch the fuel level )

If your tank is at that position where the nozzle shuts off, don't try to get those last 3 ounces into the tank.

When you do that a few times, you trip the over flow valve, which sets off other safety things
At some point the tanks vent will close & you will have a tuff time filling the tank.

It is YOUR FAULT
now you will pay the price
I have had the same thing a od time, and also last was with the wife's car, tank was about 1/4 full, so nothing to do with trying to get the last little bit in .
I think the poster is talkling the same thing. In the case of the car it was a pump problem, different pump it was fine .
With the truck, i slowed down , 1/2 speed, and pulled the nozzle out a bit and it worked O.K. Most of the time it is not a problem.
Last time this happened was a t a full service station, and when I paid it was only about a 1/4 of a tank added, but enought to get home, I think it is just a air lock at times.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
what members have seen over the last couple of years, is that some service stations use a gas pump nozzle that have a different curve in the part that fits into the vehicles Fill Tube.

If the gas pump nozzle is fairly straight, our Rams seem to fill up much better

Where the ones with more of a curve built into them keep shutting off

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Like GTyankee mentioned, had same problem, couldn't use nozzle trigger notches to autofill gas tank at one station. No problem to this point. Next fillup, went back to station used before with successful autofill and all was well. Sorry about the folks who really do have mechanical problems, but hopefully GTyankees post will save someone from spending needless dollars at the dealership.