Fuse ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
2015 RAM
Cigar Lighter Fuse 93 20 Amp
I have had a Slime Heavy Duty 12 V tire pump for a few years and all was great till the last few times I tried it !
Maybe fill 1 tire and fuse pops :O . Bussman brand fuse!
Tried the light duty Slime compressor and same thing! Pop the fuse !
Could it be the outlet itself ?
Or?
Any Ideas ?
If the socket is it a pain to change ?
I will search for part # just in case

Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2015 RAM
Cigar Lighter Fuse 93 20 Amp
I have had a Slime Heavy Duty 12 V tire pump for a few years and all was great till the last few times I tried it !
Maybe fill 1 tire and fuse pops :O . Bussman brand fuse!
Tried the light duty Slime compressor and same thing! Pop the fuse !
Could it be the outlet itself ?
Or?
Any Ideas ?
If the socket is it a pain to change ?
I will search for part # just in case

Thanks
Cut the cigar lighter socket off your pump,and replace it with cable ends that you can tie directly to your battery.Not only is it easier on your trucks wiring,your pump will also like it more

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Cut the cigar lighter socket off your pump,and replace it with cable ends that you can tie directly to your battery.Not only is it easier on your trucks wiring,your pump will also like it more
Not a bad idea ! I have some + and - battery clamps from my old Battery Tenders I could use !

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I found a cigarette lighter clamp on w/inline fuse ! Easier then chasing the parts lol Thanks for the idea

Attachments

• 1701399378323.png
    1701399378323.png
    558.2 KB · Views: 9

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a cigarette lighter clamp on w/inline fuse ! Easier then chasing the parts lol Thanks for the idea

If you get in the mood for another project in the future, you would be much better off to chop out those cigar/cigarette connectors and hardwire the inflator to the alligator clips.

Those sockets are OK for low current devices but near useless with any serious load.

I know, people will swear they've successfully used them for years without grief. They're still bogus for higher current devices.

If you want respectable connectors to use with higher current, try the right size of Anderson connectors.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
If you get in the mood for another project in the future, you would be much better off to chop out those cigar/cigarette connectors and hardwire the inflator to the alligator clips.

Those sockets are OK for low current devices but near useless with any serious load.

I know, people will swear they've successfully used them for years without grief. They're still bogus for higher current devices.

If you want respectable connectors to use with higher current, try the right size of Anderson connectors.

A great idea as well ! Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Any decent sized portable pump usually directly hooks to the battery,and doesn't have a connector in the middle to add resistance to the pumps circuit.
As Ramdriver stated those lighter connectors aren't the best connector in a higher amp draw situation

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A great idea as well ! Thanks

You're most welcome. :cool:

More specifically, I should have said Powerpole connectors by Anderson.

And a crimper.

I bought these primarily for scuba dive light and drysuit heater battery packs but have discovered they're excellent for battery chargers and inflators.

I bought the 15/45A crimper and a selection of connectors from Powerwerx.

You can buy packages of individual red & black connectors or pre-bonded red/black pairs.

The individual connectors have a dove tail taper allowing them to easily be connected together.

I bought the individual connectors because different manufacturers have red on the right or left side.

Just be careful buying the connectors or crimper elsewhere, there are many cheap knockoffs that are a horrendous POS.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The other issue you have is tire pump compressors wear with use and draw more power and heat up sooner, making draw even worse. Wire to battery but my bet is your compressor is on the way out too.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The other issue you have is tire pump compressors wear with use and draw more power and heat up sooner, making draw even worse. Wire to battery but my bet is your compressor is on the way out too.

I had a tiny POS compressor that was incredibly loud and you could fry eggs on it.

You had to use great care to not touch the cooling fins when moving it after use lest you get cooked fingers.

It occasionally popped a fuse too, before it was retired.

As much as connecting directly to the battery isn't as convenient, it truly isn't that much effort and provides a far superior power source.

After seeing 04fxdwgi's post, I plan to add a 7 pin trailer connector using Anderson connectors, so I can quickly switch between alligator clips or the trailer connector.

I like the idea of using that connection, thanks. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Wired a portable tire air compressor to a 7 pin trailer connector (on the Pin 1 ground (white) and the Pin 4 power (black) and plugged into the trailer socket on back of truck. The power connection has a 30 amp fuse on it. Worked like a champ.

View attachment 532617
That is a good idea as well ! Thanks

RedRAM21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
A little late but the Pump being old will draw more current than when new... mainly from wear but lubrication, required or not, can be a problem for older pumps.
You can increase the wire gauge but that will only over heat the pump more than it is.

Make sure you are using a large enough gauge wire to support the pump's current draw, larger than required is better but use a fuse that that is the correct size and located as close to the battery connection as possible to protect the Pump and the wiring.
Drawing off the battery can help but only if the wire and fuse are correctly sized for the job.
You might even consider using a relayed circuit designed for the pump to connect to, and yes I would use a correctly sized Anderson connector, and a fused line.

Also, you might check the current draw when the pump is under load. I have a feeling it could be drawing more than it should, which MIGHT result in a burned up pump or worse yet a fire in the truck.

Properly installed electrical devices are great but they need to be wired properly for the draw of the device.

Good Luck on your project.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I did try a newer slime pump and it did same thing but took a little bit longer ! The socket looks OK , When it warms up Ill pull the socket to check of change

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I did try a newer slime pump and it did same thing but took a little bit longer ! The socket looks OK , When it warms up Ill pull the socket to check of change
Give up on using the socket before you hurt the trucks wiring and burn up your compressor.If it's blowing fuses,good chance you've already hurt the wiring,and to keep stressing it could lead to real big issues,like a truck on fire,so get over using the lighter socket. Not sure why you figure you need to use the lighter socket and it's light duty wiring anyways.If the wiring on the compressor is to short add more wire to it,and make it so it has battery post clamps solidly wired in,with out a socket,just an inline fuse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Give up on using the socket before you hurt the trucks wiring and burn up your compressor.If it's blowing fuses,good chance you've already hurt the wiring,and to keep stressing it could lead to real big issues,like a truck on fire,so get over using the lighter socket. Not sure why you figure you need to use the lighter socket and it's light duty wiring anyways.If the wiring on the compressor is to short add more wire to it,and make it so it has battery post clamps solidly wired in,with out a socket,just an inline fuse.
I now have a connector that clamps on to the battery post to plug in compressor! And I Now also have a cordless LASFIT Heavy duty air pump ! Thanks for replying all great info !

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I thought of that basically so I could reach my boat trailer tires, if and when needed. I did up the wire size for the "extension cord" to the compressor to compensate for the extra length.
I will also make up a set up like yours ! I like that a lot ! Looks simple to make as well lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I now have a connector that clamps on to the battery post to plug in compressor! And I Now also have a cordless LASFIT Heavy duty air pump ! Thanks for replying all great info !
Why do you figure you need a connector,every connector you add is a resistance point.Hardwire a set of battery clamps to the compressor,add a 30 amp inline fuse holder (with at most a 20 amp fuse).If the wires are to short,add some 14G wire to the compressor.Pick up a cheap soldering iron if you don't have one,a small roll of 60/40 rosin core solder and some heat shrink tubing and do it right. You're starting to make me shake my head at you,lol. If soldering is scaring you,watch a few youtube video's,it's a skill everybody that works on a vehicle should have.Now go do it right :cheers:

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The battery clamp Harness I have does have a in line blade fuse , 14 ga. wire plus the socket !
Ill try it with the pump adapter, then if a problem I will cut it off and hard wire the clamp harness to it
As it is now a spare pump I will try a few different set ups !
I also like the one that plugs into the trailer socket :) like

04fxdwgi posted​