Garage door opener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKnopik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7l
Has anyone had issues with the built in garage door opener?
I have a brand new 19 bighorn, I have had it for 9 months. The garage door opener worked great from a block away up until 4 weeks ago. Now it will only work right in front of my house. I have changed nothing in the garage or in the truck. Any ideas?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its not easy to do. I had issues with our 16 Durango R/T and both Pacificas my wife has had. Its a process. I used a video like this to do it.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do other remotes for the garage door work fine? Maybe it's with the door opener not the truck. Just a thought.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine has only ever worked from right in front of the garage door.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck doesn't have it, but I can be like 1 house down in my wifes Pacifica and it works. You have to hold it for like 2-3 seconds. The Durango was the same way.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The only "issue" I have with mine is...Whose dumb idea was it to put the buttons on the sun visor?
I have to keep flipping the visor in order to be able to hit the button

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've never tried mine from farther away than the street right in front of the house. My driveway is about 80 feet long, and since I back in after hitting the button, there's plenty of time for the door to open fully before I get to it. I can't even see the garage unless I'm directly in front of the house.

The only "issue" I have with mine is...Whose dumb idea was it to put the buttons on the sun visor?
I agree. I'd rather have them somewhere else. The logical location would be the overhead console. Although, there are already a lot of buttons there as it is if you have the panoramic sunroof.

Rambro1776

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I've never had that kind of range out of my garage openers from Ram and Jeep. However, I have had to re-program them several times.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Agree! My 17 had the opener in the overhead. The 19 in the visor. May be the only thing about my truck I can say I am disappointed and frustrated with.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
If you have any kind of led bulbs anywhere and that includes your outside house lights, inside the garage or your truck they will cause interference with the signal....

What I did was extended the wire for the antenna signal all the way to the garage door ....

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
If you have any kind of led bulbs anywhere and that includes your outside house lights, inside the garage or your truck they will cause interference with the signal....

What I did was extended the wire for the antenna signal all the way to the garage door ....
Never heard that before all my lights are LED and opener works great 18 ram and 20 GC

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
It will affect some garage openers and not all ... really sucks but that is what I did to fix the problem with mine, just extended the antenna wire

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know on early 4th Gen Rams, the FOBs would sometimes quit working if you parked directly in front of a store like 7/11
Their lights & surveillance cameras would interfere with the FOBs signal frequency
It would sometimes happen if a machine shop with a CNC machine was nearby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I know on early 4th Gen Rams, the FOBs would sometimes quit working if you parked directly in front of a store like 7/11
Their lights & surveillance cameras would interfere with the FOBs signal frequency

Yeah lol ..it sucks ...

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

On my 4th gen I noticed if I had a hooded sweatshirt on and had my keys and cell phone in the front pouch, my proximity door handles wouldn't work until I took either the keys or cell phone out of the pocket and away from the other item. Never had it happen otherwise, even in a zip up hoodie where the keys and phone were right next to each other but in their own pocket separated by the zipper.

Interestingly I don't seem to have the same problem if I drive my gf's VW.

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
That's because a lot of people don't know it lol ... here you go ... look up other videos on youtube

If that's the case wouldn't the led lights that are on/in the vehicle cause problems?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
On my 4th gen I noticed if I had a hooded sweatshirt on and had my keys and cell phone in the front pouch, my proximity door handles wouldn't work until I took either the keys or cell phone out of the pocket and away from the other item. Never had it happen otherwise, even in a zip up hoodie where the keys and phone were right next to each other but in their own pocket separated by the zipper.

That really sucks ! lol .... it's crazy how much interference LED lights can cause if the right ones are not used ... there are some LEDs that won't cause any interference but by now all LEDs should be interference free ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
If that's the case wouldn't the led lights that are on/in the vehicle cause problems?

Yes, they can also cause problems with phones, your radio, navigation ... keyword "could" ...not all LEDs cause interference and by now most brands should be interference free unless they are knock offs and cheap ass LEDs ....