Gas Milege

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Classic Muscle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1989 Ram D150 with a 318 and a factory 4 speed granny gear transmission and it gets terrible gas milege. I did a search online and it seems they all get bad milege somewhere between 8-12 MPG. I think mine can't be getting but around 5 MPG. My question is are there any common upgrades I can do to improve my milege and what should I espect to see? I bought the truck 11 months ago and it's in near mint condition, but I haven't hardy drove it because it drinking so much gas.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you are getting 5mpg you must to a ton of city driving or there is something wrong. should probably get about 10 around town and maybe 12-16 on the highway. i don't know if it would help or not but moving the oxygen sensor to the y-pipe might help. on a 89 it is in the exhaust manifold which really doesn't seem like a great location which is why they moved it on newer trucks. the computer might not get a good reading from the manifold. other than that basic oil change, filters and tune up are about the only thing that might hurt fuel mileage.

DustyDog99

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D250, 1986 W150
Engine
1985:318-2bbl 1986:318-4bbl
Check for proper choke operation, set timing to 16 degrees, yank all the smog junk off if your allowed. If not replace the converter as it is most likely plugged. If you have to keep the converter then take it on the hiway at least once a month for a minimum of 30 minutes. My 85 is getting 14 around town and 24 hiway ( got a lead foot in town). I went to dual exhaust, an earlier Carter 2bbl and 16 degrees timing. Now I get 12 around town and 20 hiway withe a demon 625 and a weiand intake.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk