Gear+ / Gear- buttons on steering wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i did a lot of research.. can't find a clear answer.
some people say its so you can see what gear you're in.
some people say its for you to change what gear you're in.

ideas? i accidentally pressed it once while driving and the display said D7 or something like that. couldn't tell if the engine sounded different.

is it 'bad' for the engine to accidently press these buttons if you're going 65 mph ?

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
These are to control the highest gear the truck will automatically shift into. When you're in D8, pressing once shows you D8, pressing "-" will put you in D7. Again will put you in D6. Effectively, you're "downshifting" by pressing the "-" button. Pressing the "+" doesn't automatically upshift, but will permit the Automatic upshift if the conditions are correct for it. Downshifting to as low as D5 at 65MPH isn't too bad. RPMs will come up. Any lower, will cause the truck to slowdown drastically. I've never tried rapidly hitting the "-" at highway speeds (because that would be stupid), so I don't know what that will do. But I have used it to decelerate without having to heat up my brakes (I hate hitting the brake pedal at 75-80 MPH). A drop to D7 or D6 usually slows me down enough to avoid the left-lane hog in front of me.

Frankly, these little button are a ****-poor substitute for what the truck really needs, and that is a proper console mounted auto-stick for complete control of your gears,.....when you want or need it.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Page 470 in the owners manual.

Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation
— Eight-Speed Transmission
The Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control allows the driver to limit the highest available gear when the transmission is in DRIVE. For example, if you set the transmission gear limit to 4 (fourth gear), the transmis- sion will not shift above fourth gear (except to prevent engine overspeed), but will shift through the lower gears normally.
You can switch between DRIVE and ERS mode at any vehicle speed. When the transmission gear selector is in DRIVE, the transmission will operate automatically, shift- ing between all available gears. Tapping the GEAR- switch (on the steering wheel) will activate ERS mode, display the current gear in the instrument cluster, and set that gear as the top available gear. Once in ERS mode, tapping the GEAR- or GEAR+ switch will change the top available gear.

1 — ERS (-) Switch
2 — ERS (+) Switch
To exit ERS mode, simply push and hold the GEAR+ switch until the gear limit display disappears from the instrument cluster.
WARNING!Do not downshift for additional engine braking on a slippery surface. The drive wheels could lose their grip and the vehicle could skid, causing a collision or personal injury.

1 — ERS (-) Switch
2 — ERS (+) Switch
To exit ERS mode, simply push and hold the GEAR+ switch until the gear limit display disappears from the instrument cluster.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

hardEight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It does do one thing like my Scat Pack...

If you press and hold the Gear - button it'll drop to the lowest available gear for speedy take offs. Just like flooring it lol

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My gripe is that the buttons are clustered on the steering wheel with the cruise control buttons. Or is it the audio control buttons. Maybe it's near the hands-free button. No matter, it's the wrong place for transmission interface (as is that stupid dial on the dash board next to the HVAC fan control....or is is the Mode control. While not ideal, even paddle shifters wold be better. I'd rather have a stick than that gaping empty hole in my console.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have the 7" multi-page EVIC cluster you will see what gear your limited to and what gear the transmission is in. If you have the regular EVIC all you see is the gear your limited to.
As far as pushing the +/- Gear buttons while your driving, the transmission will protect itself. You can't force it into a gear that will be detrimental to the drivetrain. Same thing goes for the shifter, if your driving down the freeway it won't do anything but warn you if it's shifted out of drive(till the vehicle slows down on it's own).

Tsys100718

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use them all the time when I'm towing my TT and coming up to a stop. Of course, once stopped, I have to hit the + button repeatedly until the numbers go away and the D is completely lit. And I actually LIKE where the buttons are located.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I use them all the time when I'm towing my TT and coming up to a stop. Of course, once stopped, I have to hit the + button repeatedly until the numbers go away and the D is completely lit.
just hold the + button down, it will reset the ERS back to normal (D)