Gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alangsam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Makes sense to me.... Basically changing the gear ratio is one and done and Bully has more of a option to "play"...... Point taken.... Overall my concern is the ability to handle towing a 6,000 pounds for a long haul and possibly of a hilly drive (first big long trip)..... I hope my 3.55 gear with 5 speed able to handle that if not then suggestion is changing gear or go Bully.....

Bully only goes up to 2017 model year in that site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bully only goes up to 2017 model year in that site?

I think it only goes up to 16. 17 to current needs an unlocked computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes sense to me.... Basically changing the gear ratio is one and done and Bully has more of a option to "play"...... Point taken.... Overall my concern is the ability to handle towing a 6,000 pounds for a long haul and possibly of a hilly drive (first big long trip)..... I hope my 3.55 gear with 5 speed able to handle that if not then suggestion is changing gear or go Bully.....

I dunno, that’s just a hard one to decide on. 3.92’s would be great, but at least you have the 3.55’s and not the 3.21’s. You’re kind of at an in between.

All in all, if I had what you pull, I think I could feel real confident with my 3.92’s. Even though 4.10’s would be great for towing all the time, that low of gears is usually reserved for the guys that haul some really heavy **** behind a 3/4-ton truck. Lol.

OP
OP
Russell44

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
True enough... Many thanks for you input and help ..... I just might take a test trip drive to West Virginia (about 7 hrs) drive and see how that handle in May before our big trip in July..... Basically you're saying that my 3.55 is good and can handle it without stressing the tranny but 3.92 is really the best way logically... Right?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True enough... Many thanks for you input and help ..... I just might take a test trip drive to West Virginia (about 7 hrs) drive and see how that handle in May before our big trip in July..... Basically you're saying that my 3.55 is good and can handle it without stressing the tranny but 3.92 is really the best way logically... Right?

That’s what i would think. I don’t think they say it anywhere but it seems to me that in the newer trucks, the 3.92’s are for those that intend to tow travel trailers, small horse trailers, medium to large toy trailers and large bass or pontoon boats whereas the 3.21’s are just more less for those who tow very lightly like, a tiny little motor boat trailer to a little lightweight pop up trailer or a tiny utility trailer with a riding lawnmower on it to, not towing at all for maximum fuel economy.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the same 3.55 gears you have in my 11 ram. My travel trailer probably weighs about 5500-6000 fully loaded. What I have noticed while towing is that if I just drop it down into 4th it tows so much better. I traveled to Tennessee last year with it and wanted to search between 4th and 5th hear too much. I thought well this is going to be interesting with fuel mileage running a higher rpm but I actually got about 1-1.5 gal better. Once I did that it pulled so much better that I don’t think I need different gearing. Not for the price to switch it over anyway.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No still use tow/haul. Just drop it into 4th after

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As far as the better fuel mileage goes I would assume since it wasn’t searching between gears it was better for it.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It shouldn’t hurt anything. If I remember right it was only running at about 2800-2900 rpm. Depending on my speed

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as the better fuel mileage goes I would assume since it wasn’t searching between gears it was better for it.

I’m just curious but what was your normal highway speed on the flat? I would think that for a halfton with that much weight, that you wouldn’t wanna go much over 65,70 anyways.

But yeah, I would think just merely running it in tow/haul mode would make it hold a gear better unless you were just givin’ it all she had. That’s what the tow/haul’s designed for, to make it stay in a lower gear more.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It was between 65-70. I wouldn’t pull a travel trailer any faster than that. My fuel mileage if my memory serve me correct was around 9.5-10 mpg

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I get what your saying about tow/haul and would have thought the same but it was much better holding in 4th than letting it get into 5th

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was between 65-70. I wouldn’t pull a travel trailer any faster than that. My fuel mileage if my memory serve me correct was around 9.5-10 mpg

I really wish I woulda weighed my old 08 halfton 4WD quadcab when I was relocating to Oklahoma from Colorado 6 years ago because I had that tandem-axle enclosed U-haul trailer loaded to the brim, and I still averaged that even at 70, 75 out on the interstate. I doubt it weighed as much as that camper of yours but still, that tow/haul mode worked pretty good. lol.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don’t get me wrong I think the tow/haul worked well I just wanted to keep it from going into 5th gear. It shifted well and did what it was suppose to just didn’t like it searching between 4-5. Maybe it had something to do with it being a big sail back there. It’s 26ft from tongue to tail.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah it's possible.... Doesn't hurt to try and see as long as it doesn't hurt the transmission or engine

I was off on the rpm’s. I just checked to see what it would run at with my speed 65-70 and it was actually 2500-2600 while in 4th gear. So that’s a bit better than what I was saying before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat