Gearing available for Pentastar V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

I'm getting ready to start searching for a slightly used Ram. I can't decide between the Hemi or the pentastar.
I don't need the Hemi, I won't be doing any towing with this truck. But I'd love the Hemi for obvious reasons.
My worry about the V6 is I want the truck to be able to get out of it's own way when needed. Like, getting around that truck on the freeway, when you're already at 60mph or so, would the V6 still have some pull?
Most of what I'm reading, people are impressed by what the V6 can do in this truck. I'm also wondering was the 3.92 gearing ever available with the V6? Would this help the V6 get a little quicker acceleration?
I'll be looking for a 2015 or newer truck.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks!!

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 can absolutely get out of it’s own way but, it’s not a hemi either. I drive too much to get the hemi, rebates were amazing for the six and I have 0 regrets coming from a Q50.

3.21 ,3.51 and 3.92 were all available for the V6. I think those are the right gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're willing to go with the v6 and 3.92 gears, sacrificing mileage anyway (3.92 gears)...
Just get the DAMN Hemi and go with 3.21 gears to offset the fuel mileage...
And still have PLENTY of power when needed!!
Not to mention...
In the long run, resale will be quite a bit better on the v8 over v6...
Just My honest .02 since I'm in the business...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
3.21 ,3.51 and 3.92 were all available for the V6. I think those are the right gears.
The 3.6l Pentastar V6 is available with 3.21 and 3.55 from the factory.
The 3.0l EcoDiesel V6 is available with 3.55 and 3.92 from the factory.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my RCSB with the 3.6 and 3.55 gears... wouldn’t trade it for a 5.7 with all the ticking, exhaust manifold problems, or cam and lifter problems.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're willing to go with the v6 and 3.92 gears, sacrificing mileage anyway (3.92 gears)...
Not to mention...

That's a good point, but since I'm buying used, I may find myself without that option. Depends on what shape my Dakota is in. If it's still running, I can wait for just the right truck, but if it dies, I may be rushed.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my RCSB with the 3.6 and 3.55 gears... wouldn’t trade it for a 5.7 with all the ticking, exhaust manifold problems, or cam and lifter problems.

Are there really that many problems with the Hemi?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your concerned about acceleration instead of investing in a possible gear swap maybe you should check the multiple threads on the Pedal Commander.
Jay

Last edited:

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 3.6l Pentastar V6 is available with 3.21 and 3.55 from the factory.
The 3.0l EcoDiesel V6 is available with 3.55 and 3.92 from the factory.

That’s right

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to mention...

Two things, hemi isn’t touching the V6 in mpg on the highway, and it’s not close. My brother in law has almost the exact same truck as me save for the motor and the comparison between mpg or speed between the two is laughable.

Second, there is never a guarantee on a bigger motor having a better resale. During the last fuel spike I bought my Charger for pennies on the dollar simply because people weren’t buying. Supply & demand, all it is.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your concerned about acceleration instead of investing in a possible gear swap maybe you should check the multiple threads on the Pedal Commander.
Jay

Gear swap? I have no interest in attempting a gear swap. I was just wondering if the V6 came with the 3.92 rear end.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Would this help the V6 get a little quicker acceleration?"

I thought you were concerned about acceleration also. Some people swap gears to increase acceleration. The PC is a lot cheaper. Sorry if I misunderstood
Jay

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Would this help the V6 get a little quicker acceleration?"

I thought you were concerned about acceleration also. Some people swap gears to increase acceleration. The PC is a lot cheaper. Sorry if I misunderstood
Jay

Oh gosh, no big deal. Yes, I was concerned about acceleration, hence wondering if the 3.92 was an option on the V6 ram, but I wouldn't have the means to swap that out myself. The truck would have to come with it from the factory.
I have heard of the Pedal commader. I'm assuming that's what you mean by PC? What does that do, just change shift points in the trans?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hooks to the wires on your accelerator pedal(plug and play) and takes all the hesitation out of the electronic throttle control. There is no increase in HP or TQ just a faster response when you step on the go pedal. If you have the time it's worth the read to look at one or two of the threads about the PC. It increases the fun factor in driving your truck. I think about 99% of the people that have bought one really like it. Works on the hemi as wells as on the 3.7.
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There seems to be almost no middle ground when you talk about gear ratios. People that have the 3.93's swear by them and the people that have the 3.21's wouldn't trade them for anything, especially when they find out the cost of a gear swap. The 2wd are a lot cheaper to swap but with the recent increase in the cost of gears, you have to want to swap pretty bad to pay the price. It's always best to try to find the ratio you want on a dealers lot. A lot of people don't even think about gears during the buying process, so props to you for during some research first.
Jay

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Two things, hemi isn’t touching the V6 in mpg on the highway, and it’s not close. My brother in law has almost the exact same truck as me save for the motor and the comparison between mpg or speed between the two is laughable.

Second, there is never a guarantee on a bigger motor having a better resale. During the last fuel spike I bought my Charger for pennies on the dollar simply because people weren’t buying. Supply & demand, all it is.

When i bought my truck I was comparing between a 3.55 v6 and my 3.21 hemi. Granted this was a pretty short test. Both were brand new. I took the same highway route with both trucks. Prob 20 miles. I reset the mpg meter on both before I left. I got 19 with the hemi and like 21 with the v6. Which was close enough I didn't care and I knew I'd be putting bigger tires etc which would hurt the v6 more.

Best ive averaged with my hemi on a decent trip was about 350 miles, mostly mountain highway, 55-60 MPH. I averaged 24 over the trip.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Not sure about all years but 3.92 w/3.6 was only on the Rebel and 3.21 and 3.55 for the rest of the 3.6 models. If you can find one with the 3.55s that's a good choice but with the low 1st and 2nd gears of the 8speed you will be very happy with how the 3.6 launches even with the 3.21 gears. Today I towed my 3500# boat through the mountains and had no issues on the climbs and still manage over 15 mpg. Test drive one and you will see.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When i bought my truck I was comparing between a 3.55 v6 and my 3.21 hemi. Granted this was a pretty short test. Both were brand new. I took the same highway route with both trucks. Prob 20 miles. I reset the mpg meter on both before I left. I got 19 with the hemi and like 21 with the v6. Which was close enough I didn't care and I knew I'd be putting bigger tires etc which would hurt the v6 more.

Best ive averaged with my hemi on a decent trip was about 350 miles, mostly mountain highway, 55-60 MPH. I averaged 24 over the trip.

What size tank do you have? The smallest available I thought was 23 gallons which if you’re averaging 350 would be 15mpg combined.

Look at Fuelly. People with the 6 report about 30% on average better mpg. I regularly get 550 to a tank driving like a lunatic.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There seems to be almost no middle ground when you talk about gear ratios. People that have the 3.93's swear by them and the people that have the 3.21's wouldn't trade them for anything, especially when they find out the cost of a gear swap. The 2wd are a lot cheaper to swap but with the recent increase in the cost of gears, you have to want to swap pretty bad to pay the price. It's always best to try to find the ratio you want on a dealers lot. A lot of people don't even think about gears during the buying process, so props to you for during some research first.
Jay

Thanks Jay, and thanks for all your help