Get newer 8.4 uconnect or go aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
@aramos3, last question... did you use the ABS Plastic Sheet to fill in the gaps? If so, which one did you buy.... Soon y'all will have a pictures of my setup with the Halo9 too...

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@aramos3, last question... did you use the ABS Plastic Sheet to fill in the gaps? If so, which one did you buy.... Soon y'all will have a pictures of my setup with the Halo9 too...

I did have to use ABS plastic only to fill the bottom half of the Scoche kit to make it look like a single din. Honestly you would never know the whole is their since the screen covers it. The sides don't need any filling you either fill in the top half of the double din opening or the bottom half depending on where you mount your stereo.

I used the following plastic

ABS Sheet - .118" Thick, Black, 12" x 12" Nominal

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does the OEM Rear Camera work? When I hit up Crutchfield, it states the OEM rear camera will not function. I do have the 5" UConnect, but that shouldn't matter. I won't go aftermarket if I can't retain the rear OE camera.

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Idatalink Maestro harness ties into the factory cam. All i had to do was go into the Alpine stereo and enable back up cam.

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
Any idea if the Maestro will also allow access to the OEM rear cargo cam?

You need an adapter if you are going to be using two camera. The Halo9 comes with only one camera output... The adapter is Alpine KCX-C2600B Multi-Camera Selector Interface

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
@aramos3 , did you use the supplied GPS antenna, and microphone? Or did the Maestro RR take care of both by using the factory ones?

By the way, I bought the Maestro USB-Ram solution for the armrest, but found a better solution, which was buying an USB and HDMI socket to replace the 12v one, found on the center space by the phone holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S6I1872/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A11ID9O6IRX38&psc=1
The center armrest USB will not work with carplay/android auto. The maestro USB for that also doesn't allow carplay/android auto. You have to use the USB on the back of the new headunit.
You have to use the supplied GPS antenna and microphone as the current installed stock ones will not work.

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@aramos3 , did you use the supplied GPS antenna, and microphone? Or did the Maestro RR take care of both by using the factory ones?

By the way, I bought the Maestro USB-Ram solution for the armrest, but found a better solution, which was buying an USB and HDMI socket to replace the 12v one, found on the center space by the phone holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S6I1872/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A11ID9O6IRX38&psc=1

Yes, I used the supplied GPS antenna and microphone you aren't able to retain the factory ones. I routed the microphone up the driver side "A" pillar and set in place where the pillar, roof, and glass intersect. As for the GPS antenna I actually mounted it inside the dash behind the stereo where a metal bar runs parallel with the dash so its not in sight. GPS is not affected and functions normally from what i understand the GPS antenna on the Alpine works in junction with your cell phone and helps amplify the signal so placement is not critical.

I skipped on the Maestro USB-Ram solution as its not compatible with Android Auto or Carplay which is one one of the benefits of upgrading the factory stereo. For the time being I routed my USB cable in the cubbie below the HVAC controls. I like the idea of replacing the 12v outlet with the one you linked.

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
Yes, I used the supplied GPS antenna and microphone you aren't able to retain the factory ones. I routed the microphone up the driver side "A" pillar and set in place where the pillar, roof, and glass intersect. As for the GPS antenna I actually mounted it inside the dash behind the stereo where a metal bar runs parallel with the dash so its not in sight. GPS is not affected and functions normally from what i understand the GPS antenna on the Alpine works in junction with your cell phone and helps amplify the signal so placement is not critical.

I skipped on the Maestro USB-Ram solution as its not compatible with Android Auto or Carplay which is one one of the benefits of upgrading the factory stereo. For the time being I routed my USB cable in the cubbie below the HVAC controls. I like the idea of replacing the 12v outlet with the one you linked.

Good to know. Were you aware of idatalink's Nav1 adapter that connects the factory GPS antenna to the Alpine unit? I'm interested in seeing if that works on Rams...

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3Yj0NUGFM8i/p_794ACCNAV1/iDatalink-ACC-NAV1.html

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn't aware of that adapter.

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
Yes, it works on rams. As long as your ram as a nav antenna.

Sweet!! I just bought it! I might end up doing some splicing and soldering to keep the stock microphone in place.

I’ll let y’all know how it goes

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sweet!! I just bought it! I might end up doing some splicing and soldering to keep the stock microphone in place.

I’ll let y’all know how it goes
I went with the pioneer as I wanted wireless carplay and it turns out idatalink makes a factory GPS adapter for pioneer as well. I may pick that up at some point. My pioneer has built in nav which is actually surprisingly good. And of course the antenna can boost the phone navigation apps too. But i'm using the pioneer supplied GPS antenna at the moment.
I'm not sure which factory connection belongs to the factory GPS antenna as several of the connectors are identical. I guess some trial and error.

If you can get the factory microphone to work I would be VERY interested in that! Though I would have thought if it were possible the maestro would have integrated that?

Last edited:

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
Well, I was able to use the factory GPS with the Maestro NAV1, but finding the right connection of the factory Microphone, was a dead end. I just couldn't find how it connected to the factory 8.4 Uconnect radio to splice it into the Halo9. I'll keep investigating, but for the time being I just placed the Alpine Mic on the top cubby.

The Halo9 is a really good unit, with tons of customizations. I like the fact that I don't need to drill holes for accessories that require switches (i.e. winch, light bars, etc) as I can control them from the stereo via a connector that Alpine makes. The screen quality isn't bad, as others have mentioned, and I can't see pixelation. As a matter of fact, after I installed it, I realized who crappy the output on the stock rear camera is. Installation is a bit difficult, mostly due to the amount of cables that require fiddling the radio into place; so have patience.

The only issue that I have found thus far is that when using carplay, the screen is too bright, making it difficult to see google maps, waze, or apple maps. Outside carplay the brightness is fine. It might be something with the settings, but there are too many menus that I haven't had time to play with them yet.

Anyhow, here are the images of the unit, and the usb/hdmi connection. Hope this helps anyone with trying to decide which aftermarket radio to buy in the future.

Good luck!IMG_6617.jpgIMG_6618.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Well, I was able to use the factory GPS with the Maestro NAV1, but finding the right connection of the factory Microphone, was a dead end. I just couldn't find how it connected to the factory 8.4 Uconnect radio to splice it into the Halo9. I'll keep investigating, but for the time being I just placed the Alpine Mic on the top cubby.

The Halo9 is a really good unit, with tons of customizations. I like the fact that I don't need to drill holes for accessories that require switches (i.e. winch, light bars, etc) as I can control them from the stereo via a connector that Alpine makes. The screen quality isn't bad, as others have mentioned, and I can't see pixelation. As a matter of fact, after I installed it, I realized who crappy the output on the stock rear camera is. Installation is a bit difficult, mostly due to the amount of cables that require fiddling the radio into place; so have patience.

The only issue that I have found thus far is that when using carplay, the screen is too bright, making it difficult to see google maps, waze, or apple maps. Outside carplay the brightness is fine. It might be something with the settings, but there are too many menus that I haven't had time to play with them yet.

Anyhow, here are the images of the unit, and the usb/hdmi connection. Hope this helps anyone with trying to decide which aftermarket radio to buy in the future.

Good luck!View attachment 157454View attachment 157455

I like the size of the unit just wish it didn't stick out like that.

As far as using the factory mic others have tried and no one (that I can recall) has successfully adapted it to a aftermarket market unit. Something with resistance or finding the correct ohms. I have seen people just use the mic that came with the unit and place it in the factory location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro