Get newer 8.4 uconnect or go aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harleyrider72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would do a Kenwood ddx9905s, it's pretty much same as the xr9906(9906 has a little different layout due to being this year model but both are technically xr high end radios, internals same, and both do wireless Android auto) , and you can get the 9905s for $429 new or $350 refurbished in Amazon, is killer deal. Has HD screen(only a couple radios have this, think the couple are the Kenwood 9905 and 9906 and a upper scale one with nav from Kenwood) , android auto looks great with Google maps sat view, HD radio, its own gps antenna etc and audiophile quality better components inside, maestro compatible, can buy a Kenwood dash cam and control it from radio screen etc. There is no better radio for the price. If my Rams 8.4 went out, would buy the ddx9905s, put one in my SS Camaro and love it. I'm not a Kenwood fan, but I am a fan of this radio. Usually in past I would say pioneer, not now.
But how does it look installed? These floating style radios that are coming out look good in part because they aren't trying to fit in the stock space. I feel like when a reg double din is installed, the center wont flow right

Rudey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I installed the Alpine Halo on friday and everything went smoothly with no issues, including programming the idatalink module.

Pros:

1. Retained all factory functions, backup cam, steering wheel functions, HVAC controls through the screen, all factory settings are also accessible with the Halo just like the Uconnect 8.4.

2. Volume knob, fan know, tuner knob, and all hard keys work and interact with the screen.

3. The unit is extremely sturdy and has no give even when tugging on it with force. I dont off road but if I did I would not be concern.

4. The unit is fast and very responsive, Android Auto is nice on the 9" screen.

Cons:

1. The unit does protrude a bit I have about 3/8" more that I can move it back and still have access to the top mount screws that the screen requires to mount. I dont feel this is a deal breaker as I feel I am already getting use to it.

2. As for the screen its not bad but its not mind blowing I think we have just become spoiled with cell phones having high end screens. The screen is fine I don't know why you would need the screen to be HD.

3. I notice the back up cam has maybe a 2 second delay after I shift the truck into reverse.

4. Wireless Android Auto (Non Existent) - I don't mind since I routed the USB cable in the storage pocket in the center console closest to the radio.

5. Only one USB port.

Overall I am very happy with the unit and consider it an upgrade over the factory 8.4 unit. I will be keeping the unit and upgrading my sound system overtime.

View attachment 155164 View attachment 155165 View attachment 155166 View attachment 155167 View attachment 155168

Looks awesome. I’m thinking of doing this upgrade. Do you have any pictures of the factory controls? Curious if it can manage heated seats, mirror dimming, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkendall4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I did have to use ABS plastic only to fill the bottom half of the Scoche kit to make it look like a single din. Honestly you would never know the whole is their since the screen covers it. The sides don't need any filling you either fill in the top half of the double din opening or the bottom half depending on where you mount your stereo.

I used the following plastic

ABS Sheet - .118" Thick, Black, 12" x 12" Nominal

@aramos3 I know you posted this over a year ago, but I ordered the same sheet. How in the world do you install it to your kit to fill in the gap? Am I missing something simple?

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@aramos3 I know you posted this over a year ago, but I ordered the same sheet. How in the world do you install it to your kit to fill in the gap? Am I missing something simple?

@jkendall4 its pretty simple if you purchased the double din stereo bezel you need to make it a single din just for asthetics nothing is hard mounted. Measure/trace the backside width of the stereo bezel that needs to match the width of your filler piece. Then the height of the filler piece is half the size of the stereo bezel opening. Once you have your filler piece cut out of the ABS plastic simply crazy glue the filler piece to the stereo bezel backside.

20200302_090541.jpg 20200302_090559.jpg 20200302_090511.jpg

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be interested in hearing your thoughts. I just had this exact debate and have another thread basically asking the same thing as OP on here other than I have the 5.0. I was leaning towards the Kenwood 9905s but really want the bigger screen. I put my phone which is a 6.2" screen over my 5.0 and its not looking big enough. The Halo9 was a thought but I like you didn't like how the floating screen looked. Also read one review saying screen resolution is basically a blown up smaller screen so it looks bad. Granted overall it has great reviews.

So I basically decided on going with an 8.4 and almost bought one yesterday. But still in consideration mode due to having to wait long times for parts, plus buy a lot more parts.

If someone would just make an 8-9 inch aftermarket that fits in dash and isn't 2k+ I'd definitely go that route.

Alpine has an 8” screen. This is what I have in my ram, but the newer version.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500X308U/Alpine-X308U.html

jkendall4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
@jkendall4 its pretty simple if you purchased the double din stereo bezel you need to make it a single din just for asthetics nothing is hard mounted. Measure/trace the backside width of the stereo bezel that needs to match the width of your filler piece. Then the height of the filler piece is half the size of the stereo bezel opening. Once you have your filler piece cut out of the ABS plastic simply crazy glue the filler piece to the stereo bezel backside.

View attachment 197009 View attachment 197010 View attachment 197011

Gotcha, I got the single din install but I bet it would work, just not use the useless cubby that sits under the stereo. I appreciate the info!

jkendall4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Two things.

1. does anyone know what size mic the alpine9 uses. Bought a used one and it’s on its way and want to go ahead and order the mic

2. did you guys ever figure out that illumination problem?

jkendall4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Sorry for all the questions but I am just hooking this sucker up I have a couple of questions. When you install it into the dash do you lower the screen on the rest of the stereo so it doesn't sit up as high? That seems to make the most sense. Just want to make sure.

Also if anyone remembers how they hooked up the axxess aswc-1 to get the steering wheel controls to work that would be great. I cant find the correct link when searching myself. I did find one on the form but I am not sure if it is 100% correct. Also once its program do i just remove the axxess aswc-1 or is it supposed to stay hooked up?

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for all the questions but I am just hooking this sucker up I have a couple of questions. When you install it into the dash do you lower the screen on the rest of the stereo so it doesn't sit up as high? That seems to make the most sense. Just want to make sure.

Also if anyone remembers how they hooked up the axxess aswc-1 to get the steering wheel controls to work that would be great. I cant find the correct link when searching myself. I did find one on the form but I am not sure if it is 100% correct. Also once its program do i just remove the axxess aswc-1 or is it supposed to stay hooked up?

In respect to the Halo 9 you set the desired height to your liking it has multiple vertical positions you can choose from.

As for the axxess aswc-1 I don't know that its compatible with the 8.4 uconnect trucks. Using the Maestro harness retains all the steering wheel features.

jkendall4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
In respect to the Halo 9 you set the desired height to your liking it has multiple vertical positions you can choose from.

As for the axxess aswc-1 I don't know that its compatible with the 8.4 uconnect trucks. Using the Maestro harness retains all the steering wheel features.

I had the 5.0. I thought I would need maestro and axxess. Do I not need it? Just use maestro?

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I couldn't tell you since I was coming from the 8.4 screen. Climate, and the truck settings where controlled from my old 8.4 factory uconnect so I needed to go the maestro route in order to control those features with the Halo9.

jkendall4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Halo9 guys. When you put your truck in reverse do you mainly have to click on the camera to use your backup camera. That's what I am currently having to do. Am I missing a setting or something? I can see the camera and everything once it is in reverse, but like I said I have to actually click on the camera. Outside that, Im really liking the head unit

jkendall4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Incase someone ever has the same problem. You must plug the head unit reverse wire to both the light blue and orange white wire if you’re using the adapter to keep steering wheel controls.

Cris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 ram 3500. Just bought the alpine ilx f259. What other things do i need to purchase. Before i try install?

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
F259 isn't compatible with iDatalink maestro so hopefully your truck doesn't require it.