Get newer 8.4 uconnect or go aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Halo never appealed to me since I off road my truck and if it vibrates at all it would drive me insane.

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would go aftermarket; you'll be happier in the long run (especially if you want to add amps/better speakers).

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would go aftermarket; you'll be happier in the long run (especially if you want to add amps/better speakers).

I have no desire to add amps or speakers. I find the upgraded stock alpine speakers to be very good.

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you know if the radio will be a direct drop in? Not sure if anything would need to be changed from the canbus, or if the signal it gives to the speakers in your truck will be all equal?

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Do you know if the radio will be a direct drop in? Not sure if anything would need to be changed from the canbus, or if the signal it gives to the speakers in your truck will be all equal?

Pretty much a direct drop in.

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In your case, that might be the best answer.

Tinmanzroad36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I am going to be using the Scosche CR1297DDB double din kit with the halo9, The halo 9 is single din chassis but the brackets provided with the Scosche kit should mount onto the halo 9. I will fill in the gaps with abs plastic sheet. And yes I will be using the Idatalink to retain backup camera, heated seas, HVAC controls etc......
aramos3, I have a 2014 Ram 2500, have added amps, speakers and use current 8.4. Curious if you know if the Halo9 allows an app to control to remote start and tie into the factory settings? Also curious to see finished pics when you're complete with install. My sound is fantastic with upgraded Focal components, JL Audio amps and bass tubes. However, my current Uconnect constantly messes up, and won't connect, has issues like an old computer at times. Thanks in advance!

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the Alpine Halo on friday and everything went smoothly with no issues, including programming the idatalink module.

Pros:

1. Retained all factory functions, backup cam, steering wheel functions, HVAC controls through the screen, all factory settings are also accessible with the Halo just like the Uconnect 8.4.

2. Volume knob, fan know, tuner knob, and all hard keys work and interact with the screen.

3. The unit is extremely sturdy and has no give even when tugging on it with force. I dont off road but if I did I would not be concern.

4. The unit is fast and very responsive, Android Auto is nice on the 9" screen.

Cons:

1. The unit does protrude a bit I have about 3/8" more that I can move it back and still have access to the top mount screws that the screen requires to mount. I dont feel this is a deal breaker as I feel I am already getting use to it.

2. As for the screen its not bad but its not mind blowing I think we have just become spoiled with cell phones having high end screens. The screen is fine I don't know why you would need the screen to be HD.

3. I notice the back up cam has maybe a 2 second delay after I shift the truck into reverse.

4. Wireless Android Auto (Non Existent) - I don't mind since I routed the USB cable in the storage pocket in the center console closest to the radio.

5. Only one USB port.

Overall I am very happy with the unit and consider it an upgrade over the factory 8.4 unit. I will be keeping the unit and upgrading my sound system overtime.

IMG_20190207_180343.jpg IMG_20190211_080158.jpg IMG_20190211_080212.jpg IMG_20190211_080218.jpg IMG_20190211_080224.jpg

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like that! Following this thread, as, at some point, I may want to upgrade the factory 8.4 in both my Ram and m Viper.

Rick A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Just can't decide. I want carplay in my truck. I currently have the 8.4 uconnect with factory upgraded alpine 10 speaker system. And my truck is a 2015.

The two options i'm considering are:
The newer 8.4 with carplay. Expensive, but easy drop in, big screen. Wired carplay. Looks nicer. I do really like my current 8.4

Or a new kenwood DDX9906XR($899) coming out next month with HD screen, wireless carplay but a smaller screen and not as nice looking setup as stock(aftermarket bezel). This would also require getting idatalink and some wiring but I can do that. The idatalink, bezel, wiring, etc. add another $160 to the price.
I was considering the Pioneer AVIC-w8400nex($751) which I can get now.

I won some money on superbowl so I can afford either option. What would you do?

Rick A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
I have a question. I just bought a 2017 Ram laramie. Once the free Uconnect trail and sirrus trial is over. Will I still have the Navigation on my radio or is does that stop when the free trial is over?

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question. I just bought a 2017 Ram laramie. Once the free Uconnect trail and sirrus trial is over. Will I still have the Navigation on my radio or is does that stop when the free trial is over?

Navigation is retained in the vehicle it's not a subscription service. But they will sell you updates for the maps a few years later .

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the Alpine Halo on friday and everything went smoothly with no issues, including programming the idatalink module.

Pros:

1. Retained all factory functions, backup cam, steering wheel functions, HVAC controls through the screen, all factory settings are also accessible with the Halo just like the Uconnect 8.4.

2. Volume knob, fan know, tuner knob, and all hard keys work and interact with the screen.

3. The unit is extremely sturdy and has no give even when tugging on it with force. I dont off road but if I did I would not be concern.

4. The unit is fast and very responsive, Android Auto is nice on the 9" screen.

Cons:

1. The unit does protrude a bit I have about 3/8" more that I can move it back and still have access to the top mount screws that the screen requires to mount. I dont feel this is a deal breaker as I feel I am already getting use to it.

2. As for the screen its not bad but its not mind blowing I think we have just become spoiled with cell phones having high end screens. The screen is fine I don't know why you would need the screen to be HD.

3. I notice the back up cam has maybe a 2 second delay after I shift the truck into reverse.

4. Wireless Android Auto (Non Existent) - I don't mind since I routed the USB cable in the storage pocket in the center console closest to the radio.

5. Only one USB port.

Overall I am very happy with the unit and consider it an upgrade over the factory 8.4 unit. I will be keeping the unit and upgrading my sound system overtime.

View attachment 155164 View attachment 155165 View attachment 155166 View attachment 155167 View attachment 155168

Thanks man looks much be than the previous install I had seen. They went too high with it. Being that you had the 8.4 prior how do you feel the difference in screen resolution quality is between the two?

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man looks much be than the previous install I had seen. They went too high with it. Being that you had the 8.4 prior how do you feel the difference in screen resolution quality is between the two?

I messed with it some more today and was able to set it back about 1/2" more. As for resolution it's better than the stock 8.4 but it's not leaps and bounds better. But a lot more responsive for sure. I hated having to use the temperature slider on the HVAC screen it was never smooth and always frustrating the Halo is smooth and the bigger screen is so much more pleasant.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I messed with it some more today and was able to set it back about 1/2" more. As for resolution it's better than the stock 8.4 but it's not leaps and bounds better. But a lot more responsive for sure. I hated having to use the temperature slider on the HVAC screen it was never smooth and always frustrating the Halo is smooth and the bigger screen is so much more pleasant.

Nice good to hear. I'm going to stop by a local shop and check it out in person. I saw it last time I was there but it wasn't really on the radar yet

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
Oh man, I'm glad I came across this post! I'm just in the midst of upgrading my 8.4Uconnect VP4 to the new 4C, mainly to retain the HVAC/Heated/Ventilated Seat Control. The setup with the Halo9 looks sweet... @aramos3 where did you purchase the head unit, the maestro, and the necessary cables to retain the media hub USB? Anything else you did in order to fit the Halo9 into the Ram (i.e. mountain bracket)? Let me tell you that the R/T splash screen look sick!

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh man, I'm glad I came across this post! I'm just in the midst of upgrading my 8.4Uconnect VP4 to the new 4C, mainly to retain the HVAC/Heated/Ventilated Seat Control. The setup with the Halo9 looks sweet... @aramos3 where did you purchase the head unit, the maestro, and the necessary cables to retain the media hub USB? Anything else you did in order to fit the Halo9 into the Ram (i.e. mountain bracket)? Let me tell you that the R/T splash screen look sick!

I purchased everything through Amazon I had a few gift cards I had collected over the holidays which helped with the purchase and the prices were on par with crutchfield or even a little better. as for the media hub in a center console they do sell an adapter from idatalink but the only problem is that the adapter is not compatible with Android auto or carplay . I opted to forego the adapter for the USB hub since I rarely use it all my media is stored on my phone. Below I will list all the parts I used .

1. Alpine iLX-F309 HALO9 9"
2. Maestro HRN-RR-CH3
3. Scosche CR1297DDB
4. Metra 40-EU55 Antenna Adapter
5. Maestro ADS-MRR
6. MicroBypass Parking Brake Overide for Alpine .

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
I purchased everything through Amazon I had a few gift cards I had collected over the holidays which helped with the purchase and the prices were on par with crutchfield or even a little better. as for the media hub in a center console they do sell an adapter from idatalink but the only problem is that the adapter is not compatible with Android auto or carplay . I opted to forego the adapter for the USB hub since I rarely use it all my media is stored on my phone. Below I will list all the parts I used .

1. Alpine iLX-F309 HALO9 9"
2. Maestro HRN-RR-CH3
3. Scosche CR1297DDB
4. Metra 40-EU55 Antenna Adapter
5. Maestro ADS-MRR
6. MicroBypass Parking Brake Overide for Alpine .

Thanks brother!!! What is the part number for the idatalink adapater? Also, why did you need the Scosche adapter though? I have the Ram bezel with the 8.4 Uconnect... I'm already adding everything to the Amazon cart

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks brother!!! What is the part number for the idatalink adapater? Also, why did you need the Scosche adapter though? I have the Ram bezel with the 8.4 Uconnect... I'm already adding everything to the Amazon cart

Idatalink makes maestro you need the ADS-MRR and HRN-RR-CH3.

The reason you need the scoshe bezel is because the Uconnect 8.4 is wider than a standard single or double din stereo. The Halo 9 fits in a standard single din chassis . The scoche bezel also comes with the brackets to mount the stereo .