Get newer 8.4 uconnect or go aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Because it’s too bright I wonder if the illumination wire isn’t connected?

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clean install .:favorites13:

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
Because it’s too bright I wonder if the illumination wire isn’t connected?

I thought that too, but the CH3 harness does not have a counter-cable for the Alpine's illumination, so I didn't connect it. I've tried connecting it to various other cables but have not been successful at finding the one that can provide control over the illumination.

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you turn your lights on I need a Google maps or Waze does it going to night mode that's how you know if it's picking up your illumination

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I thought that too, but the CH3 harness does not have a counter-cable for the Alpine's illumination, so I didn't connect it. I've tried connecting it to various other cables but have not been successful at finding the one that can provide control over the illumination.

It does. I connected it to my pioneers dimmer wire and it works.

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
When you turn your lights on I need a Google maps or Waze does it going to night mode that's how you know if it's picking up your illumination

It does not... How did you connect that orange cable from the CH3 harness? The Halo9 does not have an orange, or even an illumination cable to connect to...

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
By the way @aramos3 how did you change the splash screen? I formatted the USB as MSDOS FAT32, created the OPENINGFILE folder and the openingfile.bmp (800x480 @24bit); but the radio does not seem to detect the USB's data to make it flash the opening screen.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nice setup and thanks for sharing. I’m still on the fence and have been looking for various aftermarket Ram setups.

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@nachonator The splash screen was straight forward I followed the guide in the instruction booklet and uploaded it using a 2gb USB stick. As for the illumination wire I cant recall what I did with it honestly.

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
@nachonator The splash screen was straight forward I followed the guide in the instruction booklet and uploaded it using a 2gb USB stick. As for the illumination wire I cant recall what I did with it honestly.
Yeah, I thought it had to be the USB drive... The one I’m using is 128mb... I see if I can find one smaller

The illumination though, is driving my crazy....

nachonator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Limited
In case anyone installs the Halo9, it does not come with a "dim" or "illumination" wire. It uses a light sensor behind the screen to adjust the dimmer setting, or switch to night mode. I might've gotten a unit with a bad light sensor, as mine does not dim at all. It does switch to night mode when it is dark outside, or I block the sensor.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
In case anyone installs the Halo9, it does not come with a "dim" or "illumination" wire. It uses a light sensor behind the screen to adjust the dimmer setting, or switch to night mode. I might've gotten a unit with a bad light sensor, as mine does not dim at all. It does switch to night mode when it is dark outside, or I block the sensor.

Is there a setting in the unit to change the brightness when it dims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lt Kenneth Paul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New
Know this is an old post,, but after three 8.4 replacements I must find an aftermarket. Anyone have any suggestions

harleyrider72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to keep this going as this is the only nice looking aftermarket radio ive found to really dig.. My truck is a 2016 slt with 5.0 and my only steering wheel controls are phone call related and obviously cruise. No music or volume. Also i dont have a backup camera currently, but i have one from infotainment on order... I like the fact that theirs now the "ILX-F259" which is about half the price. from what I gather, the main things it doesnt come with are an hdmi port (which im not to hip on why id need one) and iData link meastro (and I dont even know what that is)... do I really need either of those things? is it worth the added price?

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
New
Know this is an old post,, but after three 8.4 replacements I must find an aftermarket. Anyone have any suggestions
I would do a Kenwood ddx9905s, it's pretty much same as the xr9906(9906 has a little different layout due to being this year model but both are technically xr high end radios, internals same, and both do wireless Android auto) , and you can get the 9905s for $429 new or $350 refurbished in Amazon, is killer deal. Has HD screen(only a couple radios have this, think the couple are the Kenwood 9905 and 9906 and a upper scale one with nav from Kenwood) , android auto looks great with Google maps sat view, HD radio, its own gps antenna etc and audiophile quality better components inside, maestro compatible, can buy a Kenwood dash cam and control it from radio screen etc. There is no better radio for the price. If my Rams 8.4 went out, would buy the ddx9905s, put one in my SS Camaro and love it. I'm not a Kenwood fan, but I am a fan of this radio. Usually in past I would say pioneer, not now.

Last edited: