Get newer 8.4 uconnect or go aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just can't decide. I want carplay in my truck. I currently have the 8.4 uconnect with factory upgraded alpine 10 speaker system. And my truck is a 2015.

The two options i'm considering are:
The newer 8.4 with carplay. Expensive, but easy drop in, big screen. Wired carplay. Looks nicer. I do really like my current 8.4

Or a new kenwood DDX9906XR($899) coming out next month with HD screen, wireless carplay but a smaller screen and not as nice looking setup as stock(aftermarket bezel). This would also require getting idatalink and some wiring but I can do that. The idatalink, bezel, wiring, etc. add another $160 to the price.
I was considering the Pioneer AVIC-w8400nex($751) which I can get now.

I won some money on superbowl so I can afford either option. What would you do?

Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I’m going with a Kenwood 9905S. The UConnect units are slower, not as compatible and you’re at the mercy of their forced software updates which have ruined many 2018 models.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I also have a 2015 express and that Pioneer looks like a nice model I have the 5" screen and want to do the same thing. I am leaning towards the OEM one to keep it all with the factory look and fucntions but if they do have issues with software updates that is something I would have to consider for sure. Maybe other OEM guys can chime in and give you additional insights.

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don't know what the issues are with software updates? Mine's been fine and any updates I have to download and do myself. Speed is acceptable. Though since mine doesn't do CarPlay I can't speak to speed with that.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know what the issues are with software updates? Mine's been fine and any updates I have to download and do myself. Speed is acceptable. Though since mine doesn't do CarPlay I can't speak to speed with that.

Look at the huge thread about how the last update ruined the audio for 2018 owners.

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had been in the same boat as you for a while I have a 2014 ram with the 8.4 and the alpine. I had been wanting to switch out the head unit for Android Auto or Carplay and I wanted to upgrade my speakers as well i have never be satisfied with my LOC for my subs. I pulled the plug yesterday on the Alpine Halo 9 it's a 9" screen that resembles a floating screen like in newer cars. I will admit i'm not sold on the floating screen look i prefer a built in look but I was willing to compromise in lieu of getting a smaller screen. I should be installing everything this week we will see how it all goes.

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had been in the same boat as you for a while I have a 2014 ram with the 8.4 and the alpine. I had been wanting to switch out the head unit for Android Auto or Carplay and I wanted to upgrade my speakers as well i have never be satisfied with my LOC for my subs. I pulled the plug yesterday on the Alpine Halo 9 it's a 9" screen that resembles a floating screen like in newer cars. I will admit i'm not sold on the floating screen look i prefer a built in look but I was willing to compromise in lieu of getting a smaller screen. I should be installing everything this week we will see how it all goes.
That's interesting. Crutchfield is listing it as "does not fit in your ram" Not sure why not. Best buy says it fits. What bezel are you using for it? Are you also installing the idatalink?

I see bestbuy has free installation and while I can do it myself this would certainly save me a headache.

Last edited:

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Be interested in hearing your thoughts. I just had this exact debate and have another thread basically asking the same thing as OP on here other than I have the 5.0. I was leaning towards the Kenwood 9905s but really want the bigger screen. I put my phone which is a 6.2" screen over my 5.0 and its not looking big enough. The Halo9 was a thought but I like you didn't like how the floating screen looked. Also read one review saying screen resolution is basically a blown up smaller screen so it looks bad. Granted overall it has great reviews.

So I basically decided on going with an 8.4 and almost bought one yesterday. But still in consideration mode due to having to wait long times for parts, plus buy a lot more parts.

If someone would just make an 8-9 inch aftermarket that fits in dash and isn't 2k+ I'd definitely go that route.

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Be interested in hearing your thoughts. I just had this exact debate and have another thread basically asking the same thing as OP on here other than I have the 5.0. I was leaning towards the Kenwood 9905s but really want the bigger screen. I put my phone which is a 6.2" screen over my 5.0 and its not looking big enough. The Halo9 was a thought but I like you didn't like how the floating screen looked. Also read one review saying screen resolution is basically a blown up smaller screen so it looks bad. Granted overall it has great reviews.

So I basically decided on going with an 8.4 and almost bought one yesterday. But still in consideration mode due to having to wait long times for parts, plus buy a lot more parts.

If someone would just make an 8-9 inch aftermarket that fits in dash and isn't 2k+ I'd definitely go that route.
It is a tough call. Pros and cons to everything. Kenwood has 7 new stereos coming out next month. 2 of them have HD screens. All 7 do wireless carplay/android auto. But it's the smallest screen option out of everything mentioned so far.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a tough call. Pros and cons to everything. Kenwood has 7 new stereos coming out next month. 2 of them have HD screens. All 7 do wireless carplay/android auto. But it's the smallest screen option out of everything mentioned so far.

Yep basically I prefer aftermarket for everything except looks

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
A new alpine iLX-F259 comes out next month. Same as the current 309 model but has customizable home screens and more importantly, a cheaper price.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe I'll wait to see what aramos3 thinks of the Halo9. My wifes sister has a new lexus and it comes factory with a basically floating screen almost like the Halo9. So maybe I'd get used to it.

The only one I've seen on a Ram so far was from a Google search and it looked odd due to sitting so high over the dash. But it is adjustable and maybe that person wanted it higher. I've seen some installs of the halo9 I don't mind and others I don't like.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A new alpine iLX-F259 comes out next month. Same as the current 309 model but has customizable home screens and more importantly, a cheaper price.

Wonder what it will list at in reality. According to Alpine press release the 309 lists at 1100 but most places have it for way less than that.

Also sounds like it might not support Idatalink on the cheaper one:

The iLX-F309 has the same features as the iLX-F259 (except for the customizable interface) and includes HD Radio, an HDMI input and the ability to retain select factory features through the iDatalink® Maestro® module (sold separately).

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Wonder what it will list at in reality. According to Alpine press release the 309 lists at 1100 but most places have it for way less than that.

Also sounds like it might not support Idatalink on the cheaper one:

The iLX-F309 has the same features as the iLX-F259 (except for the customizable interface) and includes HD Radio, an HDMI input and the ability to retain select factory features through the iDatalink® Maestro® module (sold separately).
Some places are listing it for pre-order at $600

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's interesting. Crutchfield is listing it as "does not fit in your ram" Not sure why not. Best buy says it fits. What bezel are you using for it? Are you also installing the idatalink?

I see bestbuy has free installation and while I can do it myself this would certainly save me a headache.

I am going to be using the Scosche CR1297DDB double din kit with the halo9, The halo 9 is single din chassis but the brackets provided with the Scosche kit should mount onto the halo 9. I will fill in the gaps with abs plastic sheet. And yes I will be using the Idatalink to retain backup camera, heated seas, HVAC controls etc......

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am going to be using the Scosche CR1297DDB double din kit with the halo9, The halo 9 is single din chassis but the brackets provided with the Scosche kit should mount onto the halo 9. I will fill in the gaps with abs plastic sheet. And yes I will be using the Idatalink to retain backup camera, heated seas, HVAC controls etc......
Thanks so much for the info. Can't wait to see the pics and hear about your install!

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I did read that the resolution might not be the greatest but I am sure it beats the factory 8.4 screen. I am going aftermarket because I want to improve the sound quality and expand my audio system and with the factory 8.4 even after adding the audio control LOC I am not happy with the sound. Going with an aftermarket unit gives me free range of speakers and amps.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did read that the resolution might not be the greatest but I am sure it beats the factory 8.4 screen. I am going aftermarket because I want to improve the sound quality and expand my audio system and with the factory 8.4 even after adding the audio control LOC I am not happy with the sound. Going with an aftermarket unit gives me free range of speakers and amps.

I haven't really messed with the 8.4 very often. Is screen resolution not too good. I'm becoming more interested in the Halo the more I check it out. Just need to see more ram installs

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I haven't really messed with the 8.4 very often. Is screen resolution not too good. I'm becoming more interested in the Halo the more I check it out. Just need to see more ram installs
I watched a ton of videos on it and the resolution looked fine. 99% of car stereos don't have HD anyways. And without reading a novel on it or surfing the web I don't think the resolution matters all that much. I also saw an install in a Ram 1500 and it looked fine.
I just really wish it had Wireless CarPlay.