Goodbye headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Don't read too much into the written word...some smart asses for sure. A little banter can be fun at times but I can't believe people jumped on it this way.

It really is a legit issue and what you posted is why the black ones have been discontinued.

It's a minor detail on a beautiful truck, but I'd be a little miffed about it too. The chrome projectors don't look bad or out of place at all IMO.

OP
OP
Ramguytexas87

Ramguytexas87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ignition Orange Sport
Engine
5.7L
Now that silver antenna mast...we need to have a talk.

Lol I know I know... I've been meaning to order the shorty antenna for a month and a half now. It's on the order list for this coming week XD.

Also yeah I know, I'm a major smart ass too.. I just didn't expect it all over headlights. It definitely was one of those things I really liked when I bought it, so I hated losing it because as you said, even though it's a small detail, it was one I really liked having. But it is what it is, it'll grow on me lol.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Lol I know I know... I've been meaning to order the shorty antenna for a month and a half now. It's on the order list for this coming week XD.

Also yeah I know, I'm a major smart ass too.. I just didn't expect it all over headlights. It definitely was one of those things I really liked when I bought it, so I hated losing it because as you said, even though it's a small detail, it was one I really liked having. But it is what it is, it'll grow on me lol.
I can't believe newer vehicles still have to have a mast like this. It was one of the first things I ditched. I just got the universal shorty from Walmart that's about 12" or so. Looks so much better and performs great for my needs, although I'm mostly streaming from my phone or Sirius.

OP
OP
Ramguytexas87

Ramguytexas87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I can't believe newer vehicles still have to have a mast like this. It was one of the first things I ditched. I just got the universal shorty from Walmart that's about 12" or so. Looks so much better and performs great for my needs, although I'm mostly streaming from my phone or Sirius.

You would think they could come up with something new to get rid of it. I honestly don't listen to FM anymore, I'm always listening to XM so reception is no big deal if it's not great. I'm ordering a few parts soon and that is on the list ( finally ) lol.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
You would think they could come up with something new to get rid of it. I honestly don't listen to FM anymore, I'm always listening to XM so reception is no big deal if it's not great. I'm ordering a few parts soon and that is on the list ( finally ) lol.

The Grand Cherokees got rid of the mast and put the radio in with the satellite radio, in the same shark fin type antenna that we have. It does both jobs. I never understood why they didn't do that with the Ram refresh in 2013 (if not earlier). I'm sure they'll do it for the 5th gens.

Your truck looks just fine. If I were to run into the issue you did, I'd be a little miffed as well. I tend to be a perfectionist with some things on my truck, and the headlights is one of them.

OP
OP
Ramguytexas87

Ramguytexas87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The Grand Cherokees got rid of the mast and put the radio in with the satellite radio, in the same shark fin type antenna that we have. It does both jobs. I never understood why they didn't do that with the Ram refresh in 2013 (if not earlier). I'm sure they'll do it for the 5th gens.

Your truck looks just fine. If I were to run into the issue you did, I'd be a little miffed as well. I tend to be a perfectionist with some things on my truck, and the headlights is one of them.

Thanks man. I wish they would do that with the Rams already, or well I guess every other vehicle, the technology is there already. I'm sure you're right, it'll probably be on the 5th gen for 2019... if not then someone needs to send them the message.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Some people just need to learn to shut the hell up if they don't have anything constructive to say. I've actually heard of this issue, I was looking at a set of the all black projectors on Ebay last night when I was perusing and just looking for parts and the seller mentioned the same thing in his comments about an issue with the sun and the all black headlamps.

At least you ended up with a new set, can always send them over to Retro Shop if you want them all black again.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Do you ever post anything constructive or do you just follow me around here and make side comments?
I post all kinds of comments on all different posts. You, on the other hand, do nothing but make stupid comments all the time...hence me seeing them and calling them out. You think you know everything about rams, when in reality...you most likely are a magazine mechanic.

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
What the hell guys. Why is giving others a heads up about an issue that is not as "known" as a few of you think" being dramatic? Also nothing wrong with him not liking the chrome ones as much as his original all black ones.

Op if you want me to clean the bs out of this thread I can

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Some people just need to learn to shut the hell up if they don't have anything constructive to say. I've actually heard of this issue, I was looking at a set of the all black projectors on Ebay last night when I was perusing and just looking for parts and the seller mentioned the same thing in his comments about an issue with the sun and the all black headlamps.

At least you ended up with a new set, can always send them over to Retro Shop if you want them all black again.

They won't paint the inside of the shroud either. This has been a known issue for a few years now and happens regardless of who paints it.

OP
OP
Ramguytexas87

Ramguytexas87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What the hell guys. Why is giving others a heads up about an issue that is not as "known" as a few of you think" being dramatic? Also nothing wrong with him not liking the chrome ones as much as his original all black ones.

Op if you want me to clean the bs out of this thread I can

I appreciate it, you are more than welcome to if you don't mind. My intention was never to cause a problem with my post.

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have a good looking truck. I like the color, you don't see too many out here in NY

RamonaRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks my projectors off my 16 ram rt also haze up. Im going to try to stop by my dealership and see what they tell me.

OP
OP
Ramguytexas87

Ramguytexas87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You have a good looking truck. I like the color, you don't see too many out here in NY

Thanks!. That's my favorite thing about the truck, being limited... well until they brought 2-3k more back for 2017 * eye roll * there were originally only 1,000 so I never had to worry about seeing them around every corner.

OP
OP
Ramguytexas87

Ramguytexas87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That sucks my projectors off my 16 ram rt also haze up. Im going to try to stop by my dealership and see what they tell me.

I'd love to hear what they say. See my other issue with the hazing, even more once it got to be very noticeable, is they would constantly sell these lights to customers as non breakable ( lie, but they are tough ) and no hazing like traditional lights, or past styles.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Do they have a haze on them or do they get condensation inside sometimes?

RamonaRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they have a haze on them or do they get condensation inside sometimes?

Yes that's more like it they don't haze. They get condensation inside, usually when it's cold or raining. I replaced my bulbs because the factory ones sucked so I thought it was because I took off the back cover and wasn't sealing properly but that wasn't the case. It's usually just the bottom part.

mattyk2188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
F! Those black projectors were the ****! I was gonna question why the new 2018 HD Night Editions at the Chicago Auto show had the black quads instead of the projectors. Sad day.. & I would have been a hell of a lot more dramatic than you! Black > Chrome every day of the week

Plus for what you pay for the truck brand new, would everything being perfect be too much to ask? Too bad they aren't going to put the time into R&D & perfect the headlight, instead of scrapping it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441