Grinding/clunking on front end, normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quite often I hear a kind of grinding sound that appears to be coming from the front axle. I only really hear it while turning. I've been assuming all along that this is normal due to the lockers, but I want to be 100% sure nothing is wrong and I'm making it worse by ignoring it.

It's not really a clunking or grinding sound, kind of somewhere in between. It's not overly loud either, and it's generally only when turning. This is on 2WD or 4WD, it doesn't matter.

Otherwise the truck drives amazing, 4x4 works great and the lockers also engage with no problems.

So is this sound normal for the PW? I would phone the dealer and ask, but they don't even know what a PW is. I had it in there once already to get the Nav activated and a few of the Chrysler service guys asked me what was special about a PW.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't driven a PW, but maybe the 4wd or front locker isn't disengaging? Binding isn't normal in 2wd with a locker open. Don't use lockers or 4wd on dry pavement.

OP
OP
shaner82

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't driven a PW, but maybe the 4wd or front locker isn't disengaging? Binding isn't normal in 2wd with a locker open. Don't use lockers or 4wd on dry pavement.

I don't use 4WD or the lockers on pavement. It's not binding up either. I know what it feels like when it binds up, that's not happening. It just makes a sound, kind of like metal is slipping on metal.

It does it in 4WD or 2WD, on pavement or off road in snow, makes no difference. Only when turning though.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never heard anyone else report it, so I'd say it isn't normal. I'd check diff and xfer case fluids, jack up front and spin wheels to see what's up. Does pressing the brake pedal change it at all? Sometimes metallic pads will make a little noise, but wouldn't explain clunking.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does pressing the brake pedal change it at all? Sometimes metallic pads will make a little noise.

NYCruiser has a great question. I was thinking dirt / snow / grit in the brakes or in the dust shields.

No, it should not make noise.

How tight of turns are we talking here? Pulling out of the driveway, or full lock tight radius turns?

My driver side tire has contacted the top 4 Link style suspension bar and rubbed the paint off, but I never heard it. This would be worse if you are running wider than stock tires. But even then, you would only notice or hear that at full lock (meaning turning the wheel either direction until it won't turn anymore and then still applying pressure against the stoppers).

Is it power steering whine? Lockers on either axle will be silent and "invisible" when disengaged and working properly.

As NYC suggested, lightly touch the brakes off and on under conditions that this noise appears and see if that changes the tone, volume or pitch of the noise.

GirlPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quite often I hear a kind of grinding sound that appears to be coming from the front axle. I only really hear it while turning. I've been assuming all along that this is normal due to the lockers, but I want to be 100% sure nothing is wrong and I'm making it worse by ignoring it.

It's not really a clunking or grinding sound, kind of somewhere in between. It's not overly loud either, and it's generally only when turning. This is on 2WD or 4WD, it doesn't matter.

Otherwise the truck drives amazing, 4x4 works great and the lockers also engage with no problems.

So is this sound normal for the PW? I would phone the dealer and ask, but they don't even know what a PW is. I had it in there once already to get the Nav activated and a few of the Chrysler service guys asked me what was special about a PW.

Quick Question. What type of surface are you driving on. Is it icy? Do you feel a little movement/vibration in the brake pedal. Only reason I ask is we had the same thing on our Power Wagon. We went to dealer and it was the Anti Slip and was normal. We were so NOT used to that type of thing as we were going from a 1992 Dodge and any front end grinding meant big bucks. Never drove a vehicle with Anti Slip before so we had absolutely no idea.

Every time we turned a corner it made this stupid noise but only in the winter when the roads were a bit icy. Just a thought.

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I too have not heard anyone report this before I would venture to say it is not normal

mooparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey Guys, new to the forum. I to have had the same grinding noise when turning right or left. I'm wondering if you have found the issue and how did you resolve it. I do beleive i found the issue but havent had time to look into it yet. Let me know if you have resolved the issue and how.

thanks

EdStrange

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2013 is in the dealer now for a clunk noise. I also noticed the brakes make a bit of noise when letting off the petal... and, if you have oversize tires, rubbing on the plastic wheel well might also be an issue. My front diff doesn't grind.. but, it did have a seal leak right from the get go.

woods runner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 power wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2014 pw and I have a buzzing noise/vibration in the front drivers side when I am turning in loose sand/mud 2w or 4w . I can feel it in the steering wheel and gas pedal even with the anti slip disengaged. service tech told me it was the fan, obviously he is ignorant, I have a call in to the higher ups and hope to have it figured out in a couple of weeks. other than that this truck plows thru anything !

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Perhaps really reaching for a solution here, but have you ever thought about it being the tires?

The latest PW's come with more of a "Mud Terrain" type tread pattern, with large voids, that do cause some pulsing, fine vibration and feedback through the controls when turning, especially as you slow from moderate speeds to a walking pace.

My '13 does not do this, as it came equipped with the "All Terrain" BFG tires, with a "tighter" tread pattern with less space between gaps. This allows it to ride smoother, quieter, with little or no "fuzzy" treadblock vibration at low speeds. It also seems to pick up smaller pea gravel, that it likes to fling and hit the underbody once back up to freeway speeds, as opposed to the larger "nuggets" that the M/T Goodyears like to throw. :roflsquared:

Seriously, my new Jeep Wrangle Rubicon with the Mud Terrain tires does the same thing; produces a growling, big of vibration and noise when cornering, especially at lower speeds such as pulling into a housing tract or the driveway.

Something to consider. Especially if you are used to riding around on "normal" highway passenger car or Light Truck tires.

:)