Gun Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If someone tries to pull you out of your car you’re going to be hurt or killed. Huge difference.

Yup. Hurt vs. Killed. There IS a huge difference.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Hurt vs. Killed. There IS a huge difference.

There is a huge difference but see, if I’m reading you correctly, you’re looking at it from the wrong perspective. You’d be lucky to get out of the situation Cincy’s talking about just hurt but it could very easily go the other way and be much, much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're looking at it more as a likelihood than as a [very]remote possibility. Your odds of being killed (in any year) during a carjacking (or road-rage attack) is roughly 1 in 1 million. Your odds of being hit by lightning in any one year is roughly the same. Do you carry a grounding rod with you during storms? With those same odds, why the hell not? You have the same odds of contracting a deadly flesh-eating bacteria. Drowning specifically in a bathtub- the same. What protection are you going above-and-beyond the norms? None, I'll wager. Why be so proactively worried about one specific situation, but not another?
Now, back to a car attack. I don't have the odds, but I am sure simply HAVING a gun within reach during such a rare attack improve your odds of surviving by many times. Being able to use it 1 or 2 seconds sooner? Sure, it would be nice to have a little added insurance- but at what cost of convenience, time, and money when you're talking about a specific set of circumstances at long odds already hedged by possessing a weapon? I'll also wager that simply using better situational awareness will improve your odds greater than having a better draw rate through positioning and practice.

Like I said before...if that's your thing, GREAT! Do it. I'm not going to argue you SHOULDN'T, but I will argue that it isn't right trying to convince others that it's a good investment in the grand scheme of things.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're looking at it more as a likelihood than as a [very]remote possibility. Your odds of being killed (in any year) during a carjacking (or road-rage attack) is roughly 1 in 1 million. Your odds of being hit by lightning in any one year is roughly the same. Do you carry a grounding rod with you during storms? With those same odds, why the hell not? You have the same odds of contracting a deadly flesh-eating bacteria. Drowning specifically in a bathtub- the same. What protection are you going above-and-beyond the norms? None, I'll wager. Why be so proactively worried about one specific situation, but not another?
Now, back to a car attack. I don't have the odds, but I am sure simply HAVING a gun within reach during such a rare attack improve your odds of surviving by many times. Being able to use it 1 or 2 seconds sooner? Sure, it would be nice to have a little added insurance- but at what cost of convenience, time, and money when you're talking about a specific set of circumstances at long odds already hedged by possessing a weapon? I'll also wager that simply using better situational awareness will improve your odds greater than having a better draw rate through positioning and practice.
Wow. That was.... I’m not gonna lie to ya, painful to read as it was just totally unnecessary. Hell, we might as well be discussing the pros and cons between open carry versus concealed carry, or to have a chambered round or not, or whether your carry pistol has a slide-mounted thumb safety or not.

Yes, your odds of being victim of a car-jacking probably are about the same as that **** you said but that’s not the point. The fact of the matter is, having a vehicle-mount for your pistol will always...... be quicker than having to draw it from an IWB holster while seated in your car. Having a seatbelt on will increase it even more.

Like I said before...if that's your thing, GREAT! Do it. I'm not going to argue you SHOULDN'T, but I will argue that it isn't right trying to convince others that it's a good investment in the grand scheme of things.

Well, argue all you want but facts are facts. Whether or not those facts are going to be completely feasible each and every time is dependent on the situation but, they’re still facts in one way, shape, or form. Will they always apply to everyone, no matter what the situation is? No, not always. But again, that’s not the point. And I for one, I’m not trying to tell people what to do. But I will argue when somebody tries to argue against fact. All it takes is just one time to make a mistake. And the last time I checked, we’re all human and humans are not perfect.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
For one, I have training (been shooting since a kid), and my argument has nothing to do with skill; it has everything to do with understanding statistical probability and risk management.

Is risk A greater than risk B, and what is "greater" is entirely subjective and unique to the individual's environment (a police officer for example is much more likely to need their firearm than someone that lives in a safe suburban neighborhood and typically doesn't go out late at night for example).

A lot of people don't really care if their firearm is stolen, they'll just buy another one. Big whoop, so that risk is minimal to them. To me, having my firearm stolen would eat at me thinking what that is being used for because I didn't take stronger measures to secure it (did I contribute to an innocent person being shot?????). Thus risk A (having the firearm stolen) is of greater importance to me than risk B (the rare probability considering my safe environment and situational awareness that I'm in a scenario where I don't even have time to release my seatbelt to get at my firearm from my IWB and it would be best to do so rather than say play possum and access the hidden firearm later when its more advantageous).
Your main thought process error is that you think like a defender not attacker.

And you think there will be time to assess the situation and prepare.

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You make me laugh, because I'm not arguing against 'the facts'. My argument is against using statistically irrelevant scenarios to justify encouraging statistically unnecessary methodologies. My analogy to the extinguisher- moving it to the stove front is statistically irrelevant to saving a life, though it IS possible. That is a FACT as well, but you dismissed it...because YOU did not deem it important enough to be a RELEVANT fact in your lifestyle. If I or others do not choose to believe that a truck mounted holster is statistically relevant to our lives...that's not denying a fact, that's just choosing what is important to us. For the record, I do not have a truck mounted holster, am considering one, and have personal [lifestyle] arguments both for and against that I have not reconciled to a for or against position.
:deal:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You make me laugh, because I'm not arguing against 'the facts'. My argument is against using statistically irrelevant scenarios to justify encouraging statistically unnecessary methodologies.
YOU ARE..... arguing against facts. I don’t care about statistics, or unnecessary methodologies in this discussion but yes, it is fact that having a well-placed gun in your car is a lot more easier access than trying to pull it out of a holster that’s from the inside the waistband of your clothes, through a seatbelt, while being seated in a car.

My analogy to the extinguisher- moving it to the stove front is statistically irrelevant to saving a life, though it IS possible. That is a FACT as well, but you dismissed it...because YOU did not deem it important enough to be a RELEVANT fact in your lifestyle.
I dismissed it and deemed it unimportant and irrelevant because nobody cares. It’s not the subject at hand and even neither is this tangent that we’ve broken off to about scenarios and methodologies but still, fire extinguishers are not part of real reason why I even brought them up in the first place. It was in response to Jessica for thinking that just because she’s in an area where she doesn’t think she needs it and, I was just using them to prove a point. You’re the one who picked up that bone and took off with it, yapping about tactically-mounted fire extinguishers because you totally missed my point in the first place, which wasn’t even addressed to you to begin with. But you know what, just to make you feel better, having a fire extinguisher mounted closer to your stove would probably help you to put a fire out quicker than having it all the way over on the other side of the room; but again, we’re not talking about fire extinguishers.

If I or others do not choose to believe that a truck mounted holster is statistically relevant to our lives...that’s not denying a fact, that’s just choosing what is important to us.
You do as you want; I really don’t care. But see, on the contrary, there was an instance or two that really suggested that that fact was being argued with. But like I said, whether you want to agree with that fact or not, nobody cares. I, and I feel a few others, are just providing things to be pondered and to be thought about before you choose to do what you do.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I miss the magnet I had mounted to the dash of my old kia. Strong enough to hold my full frame glock 17 firmly in place even on the roughest roads, and had just enough of a lip on it for me to be able to rack a round one-handed when i drew.
I just cant bring myself to screw into the dash of this truck.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

james.price.58

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did I log onto Facebook by accident? The OP originally asked for useful gun mounts...many have been provided. Not sure how this degenerated into a 'statistical/probability equation' argument.

I won't get into the odds of needing to use a weapon in a given scenario but I will list 2 facts:

A properly mounted vehicle holster is much more comfortable than driving with a gun butt driven into your stomach/side/back.
If actually needed, it will provide much quicker access (it's called physics) than reaching under a shirt and drawing from your person, ESPECIALLY if you carry appendix or SOB.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I miss the magnet I had mounted to the dash of my old kia. Strong enough to hold my full frame glock 17 firmly in place even on the roughest roads, and had just enough of a lip on it for me to be able to rack a round one-handed when i drew.

My guns are considered unloaded if they don’t have a chambered round so, I don’t need a device that’ll allow me to rack the slide one-handed.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean they arent out to get you...

The word of the day kiddos:

situational awareness .

May I introduce a great channel that ive watched for many years. His name is John Correia and he teaches Active Self Protection. He posts videos daily of how to react to ****** situations. His youtube channel has taught me invaluable information on how to deal with car jacking, robbery, attacks... you name it.

Heres one from today:

Last edited:

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My guns are considered unloaded if they don’t have a chambered round so, I don’t need a device that’ll allow me to rack the slide one-handed.

Same, and its not something that i "need" but there are some situations where being able to do that would be convenient. I know it's statistically unlikely, but being able to rack a round and draw while keeping one hand on the wheel to steer could potentially save a few seconds, or a car crash in the off chance that a situation calls for it to be necessary to do so.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I didn't think a Glock had enough metal in them for a magnet to hold them LOL Just kidding---maybe that was some other popular plastic gun-----
Jay

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't think a Glock had enough metal in them for a magnet to hold them LOL Just kidding---maybe that was some other popular plastic gun-----
Jay
Youre not exactly wrong haha
The only part of it that the magnet will hold on to is the top of the slide [emoji23]

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL--love my Colt Commander all metal---
Jay
I bet!
I'll still take my glock over my old walther and/or ruger.
I also have an all metal/wood Smith and Wesson snub .38, but thats my bedside gun. Cant rely on any of the shotguns or rifles for a truck gun lol

Dave Robertson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't read this whole thread,but why not use a inside the waist band holster. It will clip on the inside of the door cup holder or on the outside of the center console down by your leg. I've kept my kimber in mine in my dually that I just traded off. Now it goes in my 1500.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't read this whole thread,but why not use a inside the waist band holster. It will clip on the inside of the door cup holder or on the outside of the center console down by your leg. I've kept my kimber in mine in my dually that I just traded off. Now it goes in my 1500.
Some people I'm guessing are like me. I carry different firearms. Quite honestly it all depends on what I'm wearing and at times swap out a few times a day. Hell if you dress classy you gatta carry a classy gun if uts hot out and I'm just beating around toss on a throw down gun even my EDC changes regularly with the season (wear a hoodie a jacket vs t shirt vs polo button up ect) maybe I'm weird but I got one for every occasion lol