Hand waxing, ill never do it again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My arms and legs are sore, waxing a truck is major labor. I think its time to buy a polisher. how long does it take to usually wax a truck with one of those bad boys.

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Electric Polishers scare me. I totally screwed up a spot on my Crown Vic. But then again I was 17.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Electric Polishers scare me. I totally screwed up a spot on my Crown Vic. But then again I was 17.

Uhh ohh,, thats a bummer. I think most of the new ones don't burn through the paint.

IMG_1085.jpg

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Looking Good! Dunno...I bought a buffer to do my Magnum and used it for 10 minutes. I find by hand is the best but yeah it can tire out the Arms especially doing a quad-cab!

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Did the turtle wax black box on mine a while back all by hand. Sucked badly. Lol. Had a lot of steps. Looks good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always end up finishing at night :(

Thanks for the replies guys, I really like how it turned out. $12 wax job.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
go to our sponsor Thompson's performance and ask about the Adams kit with the porter cable polisher. Adams products are amazing.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
ill pay for someone to do mine lol

anoldbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My son does professional detailing for extra cash and can make 500 in an afternoon. But he said unless you test run several times on junkers first, it's very easy to burn through a cars paint. Also, you better have the right equipment. Once the screwup begins, there's no turning back. That's why unless I have him working on my truck, I only had detail it.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's old school thinking.

It's not true with a random orbital.

anoldbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Slight amount of dirt between the pad, not cleaning the pad properly, going to slow in movement across the paint, using the wrong waxes and more ... goodbye paint.

Lots of his customers have tried it, they gave him their equipment and now pay him to do it right. I'm not complaining, he has plenty of cash to buy my grandkids plenty of stuff because of it.

durango4819

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
That's old school thinking.

It's not true with a random orbital.

i was just about to chime in about random orbital. you can hold it in one spot and it wont burn through paint because the buffer is spinning and moving in other directions so it wont focus on one spot

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slight amount of dirt between the pad, not cleaning the pad properly, going to slow in movement across the paint, using the wrong waxes and more ... goodbye paint.

Lots of his customers have tried it, they gave him their equipment and now pay him to do it right. I'm not complaining, he has plenty of cash to buy my grandkids plenty of stuff because of it.

That's still old school thinking. Anybody that has dirt in the pad deserves a scratch... But seriously, you would have to actively try to burn through the paint with a porter cable random orbital. I have been using mine for several years now. In addition, I know at least a half dozen people that own them as well (2 or 3 on this forum alone!) who use them without issue. I'm not talking about those cheap pieces of crap you get at walmart or the auto parts store.

That's my own personal experience. Not a second hand account.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
with adams products you can wax in direct sunlight, and push and hold the porter cable in one spot and you will not burn your paint.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's still old school thinking. Anybody that has dirt in the pad deserves a scratch... But seriously, you would have to actively try to burn through the paint with a porter cable random orbital. I have been using mine for several years now. In addition, I know at least a half dozen people that own them as well (2 or 3 on this forum alone!) who use them without issue. I'm not talking about those cheap pieces of crap you get at walmart or the auto parts store.

That's my own personal experience. Not a second hand account.

I agree George.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I totally understand where you are coming from.

If I were to ever get one of these bad boys, I'd make sure to use it properly. Dirt trapped between the pad and paint is a big no no for me as Id be removing scratches not adding them. :baby:

Thanks for everyone's replies

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I love my Adams porta cable system. I would recommend it

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I hand waxed mine it took 2 1/2 hrs, but I'm old fashion and will Prolly get a electric buffer for next time lol its too much truck to be doin it all by hand..... All of my previous trucks were single cabs. But yours looks great bud!

Incredible 2 on the move!

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I purchased the Porter Cable kit from Adam's and had zero experience in using a machine on my paint. I watched the videos (which are available online or from Eric for free!) and was amazed at the outcome! As George and others have said, you really need to try to burn through the clear in order to ruin the paint. I recently purchased a used car for my wife and I to use for running around and winter driving (AWD) and the black paint was full of scratches. I took to the paint with Adam's severe swirl remover along with the color-matched pad on my Porter Cable and worked at it to remove most of the scratches. I recently was handed the Flex machine to try on the same car and it worked very well as it is more aggressive than the Porter Cable and I tried to burn throught the paint (just because) and all it did was take out the deep scratches. To sum this up, even a novice like me was able to get a professional looking finish in a few hours using either of the 2 machines I mentioned along with Adam's polishes and the videos. I could go on and on here about how to prevent the swirls and scratches in the first place but I don't want to bore all of you! Education = videos on the Adam's site.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca