Hand waxing, ill never do it again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great advice; the PC 7424 (the model#) is a great machine for everything except heavy correction. i bought mine direct from a PC dealer as a demo with full warranty for almost 50% off- ask around!

As for hand waxing, I find I always get better results when applying wax by hand. Most people make the mistake of putting waxes/sealants,etc on too thick. Only a microscopic layer clings to the clearcoat/previous layer so you don't have to apply much and that makes it easier to buff off.
A cheap "buffer" machine can cut down on the removal of product without fear of scratching or marring- food for thought.

Also check helpful detailing forums such as Autopia. They got me to the point where I had a nice mobile detailing business going, until I had kids LOL

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Adam's wax has made detailing a heck of a lot easier with his TWO new products ~ Paint Correection Polish and Paint Finishing Polish. go on his web site, watch the video and read up on these two products. He has basically cut one complete step out of getting a fantastic shine. I go through these two products like a drunk sailor goes through beer. Also make sure you get the new MicroFiber buffing pads ~ their a killing pad for which you will get one super shine.

jayincali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually these machines are called polishers as in a Porter Cable 7424 dual action (DA) polisher. Buffers is an old school term, mainly back in the day with those ugly 10-12" circular buffers.

If you're sore from waxing the truck, you must be doing something wrong. Waxing is the easiest part of the detail. Sounds like you guys that are sore are trying to buff/polish the paint out with wax. Should take about 15-20 minutes to wax then then another 15-20 to remove the wax. Wax doesn't do anything but enhance the shine (which you get from polishing with polish, not wax) and mainly protect the finish.

If you are sore, like I said you are "waxing" incorrectly. Should apply a very light amount of wax on the aplicator, then just a gentle wipe front to back. Do one section at a time. I start with half the hood, to the front fender to the front door, rear door, side of the bed then tailgate. Go back to the hood and remove and work your way back, then start the other side. Should wipe off cleanly with minimal pressure. If the wax doesn't wipe right off with 1-2 passes then 1 the wax isn't made to be applied in the sun or 2 you put it on too thick. Most likely #2 is the problem. If you do run into tough removal of wax, get some quick detailer and spray the problem area. Wait a second then wipe off.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to repeat what some have already said-----LESS IS BEST-----
Make sure you check your product--some have a faster "flash time" than others. Some products you can wax the complete vehicle and then let it dry before removal, while others dry much faster so you can only wax a panel at a time before removal. One other thing may be your problem----your choice of liquid beverage might be wrong---a complete polish, seal and wax is about a 12 pack project--give or take. :Big Laugh::Big Laugh:
Jay

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Slidder, thanks for the kudos and I'm happy you like our products!

Just a few comments I'd like to share:

There is a big difference between "polishers" and "buffers." Buffers typically refer to a high speed rotary machine whereas polishers typically refer to Orbital and Dual Action machines. We cover those differences in this short video series:

Adam's Polishes Guide to Machine Polishing - Chapter 1: Choosing Your Machine - YouTube

BTW, our website is Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA. ;)

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
hand wax or machine wax its still going to take time and tire you out now you have a 10 pound machine in your hands as compared to a pad plus to do it right you need to do like 3-4 steps so ya but adams is the way to go

And by the way thanks adams for going from a 3 step paint corection to a 2 step my back loves you

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've done this twice last summer. Took half the day from before lunchtime. I don't mind it though, it's my quiet time, lol.

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Tks for the Tks. Although I was banned quite awhile ago from your forum, I have spent over $5,000+ on your products and still buying them. I don't knock any other detailing company or homepage. Besides having fantastic products, you also have the best online/e-mail or telephone customer help of any page I've visited.

I just finished a complete remodel on my shop due to the vast amount of Adam's products and M/Fiber towels. And, I have to mention the six Adam's wash buckets with multiple wash mitts.

Yea, I know there is a difference between a polisher and buffer and I should have made that clear when I referred to them. Just a bad habit I can't seem to break.

Tell Ashley I said hi - "Klamath Falls, OR."

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
All I can say in defense of the "10 lb machine" is ~ let the machine do most of the work.
If you are doing a thorough -interior/exterior detail and get tired of the heavy machine, take a break and sit inside the vehicle and do some of the light interior work.

A guy, in his caveman shop, favorite tunes playing, cool ones in the fridge, couple of nice chairs. This is suppose to be "relaxing time" that just you and your ride can spend together. Figure out a plan on what you want to accomplish for that day and then come back the next day and finish it off.

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Try the Patriot this stuff is AMAZING! When I placed a blanket on the tonneau cover so I could remove my 3rd brake light I did feel the slippery-ness lol. Plus the rinsless wash from Adams is amazing.

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Adams Products

Slidder, thanks for the kudos and I'm happy you like our products!

Just a few comments I'd like to share:

There is a big difference between "polishers" and "buffers." Buffers typically refer to a high speed rotary machine whereas polishers typically refer to Orbital and Dual Action machines. We cover those differences in this short video series:

Adam's Polishes Guide to Machine Polishing - Chapter 1: Choosing Your Machine - YouTube

BTW, our website is Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA. ;)

Nick: I know your website by heart. But there are different ways to get to it through Google. And speaking of your site, the other day I needed just a couple of towels from Adams. Called Ashley, got the towels ordered. However, a guy can't just go on your site and order just one thing. This is what I ended up with:

LPS-16 NEW! Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant 3 $29.95 $89.85

MF-BET-2PK NEW! Adam's Borderless Blue Microfiber Towel 6 $16.95 $101.70

MF-GWDT-1PK Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel-1 Towel 3 $24.95 $74.85

MF-DST-2PK Adam's Double Soft Microfiber Towel-2 Towels 4 $26.95 $107.80

MF-WW-6PK Adam's Microfiber Waterless Towels-6 Towels 2 $36.95 $73.90

MF-UTL-4PK Adam's Edgeless Microfiber Utility Towels-4 Pack 1 $17.95 $17.95

APP-MF Microfiber Applicator Pad 2 Pack - Case of 6-APP-MF 6 $5.95 $35.70

APP-MINI-APW-2 Adam's Americana Mini Wax & Glaze Applicators-2 Pack 6 $8.95 $53.70

CLAY-V2 NEW! Adam's Made in the USA Detailing Clay Bar-CLAY-V2 2 $19.95 $39.90

RW-16 NEW! Adam's Rinseless Car Wash 4 $17.95 $71.80
For a grand total of JUST $ $667.15.

Adams products ~ ya just gotta love 'um! :cheers:

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Colored Wax

My son does professional detailing for extra cash and can make 500 in an afternoon. But he said unless you test run several times on junkers first, it's very easy to burn through a cars paint. Also, you better have the right equipment. Once the screwup begins, there's no turning back. That's why unless I have him working on my truck, I only had detail it.

Right equipment/products! Two years ago I bought the wife a brand new Mercedes-Benz. "Black" in color ~ never again! On a few detailing sites I seen "Black Wax" for black cars. Figured it was just money so I bought the black kit. Before it arrived, wife trades her car in for a new one, Maroon in color. I just bought a pure white Rubicon. Digging through some of my older wax's I found the black kit.

Couldn't help myself. I cleaned the Rubicon up, slapped some black wax on one fender and got a great shine. So, finished waxing the WHITE Rubicon with the black wax. A great shine but not a fantastic shine. My point is, as the Junkman proved on YouTube, is that black wax or red wax, etc does not know which color of a car it is going on. As the Junkman said ~ just ask the Wax and see if it answers you.

Others may like different colored waxes and use it on the cars it states to use it on. They may get a better shine. Their choice, their money.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca