Hard Tonneau Covers ... Looking for Recommendations, Reviews, Opinions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossMare

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 cyl
I have had an Undercover Flex Tonneau Cover for several years (2012 1500 Big Horn). In a heartbeat I’d get another one.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

MikeSumthin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking at the Gator FX4, definetly considering it but i have one major concern. I was watching youtube videos and the one video the guy said that you have to lift the first panel of the cover everytime you close your tailgate. I absolutely hate this and i dont want to have to lift the bed covers first panel every single time i want to close my tailgate. Do you have to do this with yours? Or can you open and close the tailgate without touching the Gator FX4 cover?
Yes, you have to. This is so the rear flap seals to the tailgate top trim to help keep out water etc.
Not that big of a deal. I usually open the cover a 1/4 angle and pick up the tailgate w my other hand.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, you have to. This is so the rear flap seals to the tailgate top trim to help keep out water etc.
Not that big of a deal. I usually open the cover a 1/4 angle and pick up the tailgate w my other hand.

I got the BakFlip MX4 which I’ve read and seen people say you can open and close the tailgate without touching the MX4 cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I had a Bakflip on my 2018...It was the fiberglass one. You needed to open the cover before you closed the tailgate...Didn't like that feature, but the otherwise quality of that cover was far superior to the Gator I had on my 2020 Chevy. The clamps for the rails would come loose, the rails bent under the weight of rainwater, the gaskets would squirm out of it...If I had to choose again, I would not pick the Gator.

BS RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Truxedo Sentry is A++ for my use

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know he has already bought one, but I have the version 2.0 of this cover. About the only thing I like about it is that I can open/close the tailgate with it closed, and it come off completely in about 2 minutes. Mine leaks like an old harley at even the slightest bit of rain. If I had the extra cash, I'd replace it today.

norourke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Gator Trax roll away model and do not recommend it. Not only does it leak, which is claims to be water proof, their customer service sucks and the rollers stick after 6 months of wear which takes adjusting. It also take a about a foot of space out the the front of your bed to hold the roll away can. It looks great and is super secure but not worth the money.

Gearjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Bakflip G2. The tailgate can be opened and closed with the cover closed with the new version. I had a Bakflip G2 on my last truck (Tacoma) and was happy with it so I stayed with the same cover.

I’m impressed with Bakflip’s customer service. When I installed my new cover, I notice a chunk missing from the edge seal. I sent them a picture of the seal with my proof of purchase and they sent me a new cover!

Bakflip G2.jpg

ts27330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
Hmmm... ive honestly never heard of a quad fold. I am definitely going to look into this right now.
Bakflip makes a nice quad fold for Ram 1500. I have one on my 2014 Laramie 6'4" bed.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I know he has already bought one, but I have the version 2.0 of this cover. About the only thing I like about it is that I can open/close the tailgate with it closed, and it come off completely in about 2 minutes. Mine leaks like an old harley at even the slightest bit of rain. If I had the extra cash, I'd replace it today.

I've not experienced major leaks with this cover. I did move it around and reposition it once it had been installed for a while, but the only water I've experienced was minor and at the tailgate. Nothing further up in the bed

PaCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just as the title says... i am looking to buy a Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover for my 2012 6.4ft Bed.

What covers do you guys own and recommend I buy?

What brand/model covers should I avoid?

Looking to buy one today, as I will be needing it for a long trip that I am leaving for in 14 days.

**PS: Ive owned a soft tri-fold cover a few years ago an I hate the soft covers, so i definitely will not be getting a soft cover again.

I have a Bi-fold Diamondback. Best i have ever seen. .. or usedMy son gave it to me new.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6

I have to do the same with my BakFlip G2 and it's no big deal. I just lift the cover up an inch or two and close the tailgate with my other hand. Now if you're handicapped perhaps this could be an issue. But if not it's NO BIG DEAL for me.!!

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
Bakflip makes a nice quad fold for Ram 1500. I have one on my 2014 Laramie 6'4" bed.

Yep, my BakFlip G2 is a Four Piece hard cover that folds up against the back window or to the Third Section with a fastening.

Wirekat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
8' bed with a BakFlip four piece. Install was easy. No leaks.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So my BakFlip MX4 came on Tuesday and it has been a complete nightmare of a situation. I’ve been on “time-out” from the forums for the past week so I haven’t been able to post but I am going to be making up a thread on the entire ordeal in a few minutes. Literally the worst experience I’ve ever had with parts for my truck, the only positive is BAK Industries customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
I had the opposite experience with a 'used' Bedrug off Amazon. Turns out it was a factory second, brand new and I couldn't find anything wrong with it.
A steal at $285 shipped, even had extra Velcro strips!