Has anyone Tried lasfit LEDs for their headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
As the tile says, has anyone tried them? I recently installed a set of low beams that they made to custom fit my highlander. Didn’t know if anyone here has tried them in their rams. So far I’m loving them in my Toyota.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Been using them since I bought my truck. No issues at all. Output is good enough for me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jstmahoney

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Been using them since I bought my truck. No issues at all. Output is good enough for me.

That’s good to hear. It was much easier to put them into the Highlander, partly why it got them first lol. As I’m sure you know it’s not so easy in our trucks. Do you have low beams or high beams too? I bought them off eBay from the lasfit dealer and was a little disappointed when I got them and the box said made in China.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
That’s good to hear. It was much easier to put them into the Highlander, partly why it got them first lol. As I’m sure you know it’s not so easy in our trucks. Do you have low beams or high beams too? I bought them off eBay from the lasfit dealer and was a little disappointed when I got them and the box said made in China.
I only have them in the low beams. I also have a Laramie with projectors. I did have to heat the back covers to reform them a bit to clear the headlights. They also make deeper back covers but I don't have a link for those. I used a heat gun and a door knob to make the area where the headlights stick out, rounded out.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I put both low and high beams in my 14 2500. They were tremendously better than the OEM for sure. Pissed a few oncoming drivers off, but for long, dark Alaska nights, they were awesome.

Josef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put both low and high beams in my 14 2500. They were tremendously better than the OEM for sure. Pissed a few oncoming drivers off, but for long, dark Alaska nights, they were awesome.

That's what I've found too. Those Lasfits are bright! But they also create 250% more glare than legally allowed lol.

1585026005427-png.295456

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I see no company name or any info as to where that chart came from. Maybe done in Excel on a home computer?
Can't believe Sylvania & Philips would intentionally make bulbs that are above the "legal glare limit", something that also sounds made up.

Josef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember, a bulb works together with a headlamp, and the only thing Sylvania and Philips can control is the bulb. If Dodge or Toyota or whoever makes a sloppy headlamp, it's possible to get glare no matter how good the bulb. Being slightly over the limit is not a big deal as there is probably some measurement error as well as individual headlamp manufacturing variances--one headlamp might be 5% over and the other headlamp might be 3% under. But being 250% over means lots of glare in every headlamp.

Sent from my iPhone 3G using Tapatalk

Leviathan64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
[I used a heat gun and a door knob to make the area where the headlights stick out, rounded out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That^^^^^^^^^ . That was a great idea. Thank you.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've done a quick search and see no limits set forth by any US department for glare. I've found some studies, but nothing setting a limit. The amount of glare present as so much more to do with headlight aim than the bulbs themselves unless you have absolutely terrible bulbs. Granted, the brighter bulbs make aiming more critical, but even with standard halogens, glare is still possible if aimed poorly. We've all been passed by that junker with jacked up headlights pointing toward the sky or right into your eyes. That's considered glare.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
I've done a quick search and see no limits set forth by any US department for glare. I've found some studies, but nothing setting a limit. The amount of glare present as so much more to do with headlight aim than the bulbs themselves unless you have absolutely terrible bulbs. Granted, the brighter bulbs make aiming more critical, but even with standard halogens, glare is still possible if aimed poorly. We've all been passed by that junker with jacked up headlights pointing toward the sky or right into your eyes. That's considered glare.

UM not EVEN CLOSE. The LENSE is the issue as bulb depth, reflector spacing are all IN PLAY.

had the ONLY 63 chevy Impala in 1984 with perfect headlights but 100% illegal ............Cibie bulbs Euro spec with h4 bulbs and ZERO glare.............

I run Wagner bulbs SOLD at napa with 3 year warranty and clean cut off.

BTW, I can not spell so get over it.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UM not EVEN CLOSE. The LENSE is the issue as bulb depth, reflector spacing are all IN PLAY.

had the ONLY 63 chevy Impala in 1984 with perfect headlights but 100% illegal ............Cibie bulbs Euro spec with h4 bulbs and ZERO glare.............

I run Wagner bulbs SOLD at napa with 3 year warranty and clean cut off.

BTW, I can not spell so get over it.
You need to go and comprehend what I wrote. The US has no glare stipulation on the books as far as I can find. I found studies about it, but no laws. Glare from a 100% stock housing that is 100% legal and dot approved can be manipulated by aiming. If there's excess weight in the rear, the beam will be directed up, causing a glare, even with stock bulbs and housings. I can show you my beam pattern with hids against a wall, the pattern was damn near perfect, a nice even cutoff, with some light being directed up above the cutoff (just as you would with halogen bulbs). Technically, the term glare would refer to any light that strays above the cutoff. That's why projectors are becoming more common place, they have such a sharp cutoff with no light bleed above the cutoff line. The problem with that, you can't see anything above the cutoff line, and there are plenty of times where that can be a problem. Are some headlight housings better than others in regards to beam pattern? Absolutely. The ram quad housings, are not that terrible. They are outfitted with long life bulbs that sacrifice output for longevity, as do a lot of manufactures. I absolutely stand by my point that a brighter bulb, requires more attention be paid to its aiming. Again, glare is the light the bleeds off above the cutoff. So, if stock bulbs produce 400 lux of light at 25 feet, they might produce 40 lux of light at the same distance, but 6" above the bright spot. Now, an upgraded halogen, like silverstars might produce a max of 500 lux at the bright spot, but maybe 50 lux at the same 6" above the bright spot. Now, if you lowered the aim an inch, or half inch even, maybe that goes from 50 to 40 or even lower. These are all hypothetical numbers, but it shouldn't be hard to understand the concept and the point, that like I said, a brighter bulb requires more careful aiming than a dimmer bulb.
20201212_030246.jpg
This is a set of 55w hids aimed at a wall where I work, approximately 25-30 feet away. It's slightly uphill, so the location of the cutoff can be disregarded. However, I adjusted the exposure to show the pattern and to try to mimic what I actually saw on the wall, which is a bit darker than it should be. That said, there is a clear, definitive cutoff line and it angles DOWN on each side. If you go 6" above the bright spot, there's minimal light there, minimal glare. Yes, if I aimed these higher, people would be pissed. It took some trial an error to get them where I was happy with the throw/distance, but minimized the amount of glare that hit other drivers. Once they were aimed, I was never flashed. I have pictures from my 2016 that had leds in the lows and the pattern looked identical. In the case of our rams, with quad reflector housings, as long as you don't have trash leds, you can achieve a pretty good beam pattern, increase your ability to see and not **** off other drivers with excess glare.

lakingslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have Projector headlight assemblies. Do the Lasfit bulbs need to be turned or do they project correctly as they are? I've seen where some need to be turned 90deg to project correctly in the projector housings.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You need to go and comprehend what I wrote. The US has no glare stipulation on the books as far as I can find. I found studies about it, but no laws. Glare from a 100% stock housing that is 100% legal and dot approved can be manipulated by aiming. If there's excess weight in the rear, the beam will be directed up, causing a glare, even with stock bulbs and housings. I can show you my beam pattern with hids against a wall, the pattern was damn near perfect, a nice even cutoff, with some light being directed up above the cutoff (just as you would with halogen bulbs). Technically, the term glare would refer to any light that strays above the cutoff. That's why projectors are becoming more common place, they have such a sharp cutoff with no light bleed above the cutoff line. The problem with that, you can't see anything above the cutoff line, and there are plenty of times where that can be a problem. Are some headlight housings better than others in regards to beam pattern? Absolutely. The ram quad housings, are not that terrible. They are outfitted with long life bulbs that sacrifice output for longevity, as do a lot of manufactures. I absolutely stand by my point that a brighter bulb, requires more attention be paid to its aiming. Again, glare is the light the bleeds off above the cutoff. So, if stock bulbs produce 400 lux of light at 25 feet, they might produce 40 lux of light at the same distance, but 6" above the bright spot. Now, an upgraded halogen, like silverstars might produce a max of 500 lux at the bright spot, but maybe 50 lux at the same 6" above the bright spot. Now, if you lowered the aim an inch, or half inch even, maybe that goes from 50 to 40 or even lower. These are all hypothetical numbers, but it shouldn't be hard to understand the concept and the point, that like I said, a brighter bulb requires more careful aiming than a dimmer bulb.
View attachment 234668
This is a set of 55w hids aimed at a wall where I work, approximately 25-30 feet away. It's slightly uphill, so the location of the cutoff can be disregarded. However, I adjusted the exposure to show the pattern and to try to mimic what I actually saw on the wall, which is a bit darker than it should be. That said, there is a clear, definitive cutoff line and it angles DOWN on each side. If you go 6" above the bright spot, there's minimal light there, minimal glare. Yes, if I aimed these higher, people would be pissed. It took some trial an error to get them where I was happy with the throw/distance, but minimized the amount of glare that hit other drivers. Once they were aimed, I was never flashed. I have pictures from my 2016 that had leds in the lows and the pattern looked identical. In the case of our rams, with quad reflector housings, as long as you don't have trash leds, you can achieve a pretty good beam pattern, increase your ability to see and not **** off other drivers with excess glare.
A projector headlight with a gradient cutoff would be a definite purchase for me. A near perfect solution to the cutoff blindness you reference I think?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk