Headers on a 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Has anyone put headers on a 6.4 yet? If so have you done catless mids or high flows? And is there any tuning required? Also interested in how difficult the install is.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I installed the ARH catted headers on my truck. The install really isn't bad as the headers are very well made and fitment is perfect. Used the locking bolts as well and so far no issues. Originally ran the stock cat-back by the truck was barely and louder than stock, so I added a MF 19200 kit as well. Ran without a tune for over 6 months since nothing was available for the 2015. No issues except for an occasional code P0420 code which strangely only started after the MF kit was added.

Headers were very helpful, although I did not realize how much initially. But with nothing other than the exhaust changes (no tune) the truck dropped over 1 sec in 0-60 runs.
ARHCollector_zpsq5vcsssu.jpg
ARHYPipe2_zpscpsktml5.jpg

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm... these would probably help a lot with towing...

They bolt right up to stock exhaust?

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Excuse my ignorance, but will headers affect mpg either way?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Helped a little, assuming you can keep your foot out of the peddle.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My question is would I get more out of 4gs for 4.56 gearing or 1800 bucks headers?

Hoping the guy from Moe's jumps on this one lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If you have 3.73's, then you will feel more of a performance gain by swapping to 4.56's. That comes at a loss of mileage on the highway though. With longtubes, you will see that power across the board with no mileage loss on the highway. 4.56's with longtubes will be 1 strong running truck that will turn some heads.

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I thought I read somewhere that long tubes helped more in the mid to higher rpm ranges, where "shorty's" were better in the lower rpm range. Any accuracy to that?

OP
OP
Ryan102

Ryan102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is it any louder with headers? I'm wondering because my truck is straight piped from the cats back

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Love the info all ya'll bring to the table. My favorite group of engineers, hands down. Here's the big pickle I'm in. I've got the max care warranty and can't find straight up "this mod will/won't void" literature. Dying to throw headers/tubes/snorkel, etc. on this rig but very jumpy about making a move. Thoughts from the pros?

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The answer usually comes down to your relationship with the dealer/service department. One reason I bought my truck at the local dealer, even if there might have been a better deal somewhere else. Not that it provides any guarantees. But think they are more likely to look the other way when you've dropped 40 or 50k on a truck at their dealership. Also, take care of your service manager whenever possible. Last time they serviced something without charging me, I gave $20 to the manager to say thanks. Same with the parts guy if you know him well.

Here is my best guess at the likely outcome. Assuming the headers can't easily be linked to a warranty issue, then they likely wont be bothered. My truck has gone in twice for service/repairs and nobody said a word.

However, if they needed to service a component which involved removing or working around the headers it's very possible they could/would make you remove them before servicing the truck. This is similar to what's being said to people who brought their trucks in for the R46 recall. If you have a lift kit of any sort, FCA is now requiring the truck be brought back to stock before they will complete the service.

If you ever have some serious internal motor issue I wouldn't even take a chance on leaving the headers. The PITA of reinstalling the stock manifolds is still better than being on the hook for a big repair bill or voided warranty. They really aren't that big of a deal to install IMO. And as I've said before, you can easily get away with headers on the stock tune. One less thing to worry about if you have warranty work.

I'm not in the industry and therefore this is not a pro's opinion. But played this game long enough to know what usually works.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My truck will be going in for its first oil change soon. This is a new dealer and new area for me. Hoping to make friends and find out there policy on mods. Might bring in a dozen donuts or order a couple of pies to the shop to butter them up. Lol

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you have 3.73's, then you will feel more of a performance gain by swapping to 4.56's. That comes at a loss of mileage on the highway though. With longtubes, you will see that power across the board with no mileage loss on the highway. 4.56's with longtubes will be 1 strong running truck that will turn some heads.
Thank you for that. I do almost zero highway driving so I'm looking forward to more get up in city driving. Are there any dyno numbers for the headers yet?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you for that. I do almost zero highway driving so I'm looking forward to more get up in city driving. Are there any dyno numbers for the headers yet?

I have a dyno appointment for this coming Saturday. But...the guy isn't the most reliable and I give it a 50/50 he's actually going to be available. Otherwise I'm waiting for another shop to open up their mobile dyno in the next week or two. Going to bring the stock PCM and swap them before the last pull to see how much the custom tune is making. This should give a pretty good idea of the header only baseline. Although I also have a ported TB and air box mod, but doubt they are changing the numbers significantly.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My truck will be going in for its first oil change soon. This is a new dealer and new area for me. Hoping to make friends and find out there policy on mods. Might bring in a dozen donuts or order a couple of pies to the shop to butter them up. Lol

Donuts makes everything better.:naughty: Donuts & fry up a pound of bacon! They will be doing your service for free! :roflsquared:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
interested in dyno results....

also interested in how a 4.56 truck would drive, with the MDS and all...

Viking... are you keeping your MDS on with the tune, or just killing it all together?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For now I kept the MDS active. Will disable it at some point just to see how it drives differently, but really doesn't bother me on the rare occasions it actually engages.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yes, they do.

So are you seeing more low-end torque with the headers or just more performance on the upper end of the rpm spectrum? The 4k+ rpm performance doesn't really mean anything to me, but if you can get mor torque in the lower end of the rpm's with these headers it's something I'd be interested in for towing and such.